Check Box Lists Become Bullet Lists Without Warning

An issue that has been plaguing Evernote for years is where I make a checkbox list, and hit "enter" to create a new checkbox, then type text, on the Android App.  Then, when I access Evernote online, all the checkboxes suddenly become bullet points, destroying pages of lists.  I can't seem to find a way to restore it other than manually deleting all the bullet points and one by one adding new checkboxes.  These formatting errors have been happening for years, and I don't see any solutions in the discussions here.  Seems like such fundamental format issues should be front and center focus for Evernote.  I've wanted to upgrade for many years but cannot stand these types of constant errors.  I've reached out to support and they don't seem to know what to do and instead ask me for my note.  I can't be the only one so they really just need to fix it.

• Level 5

It should not become a bulleted list, it should become a checklist.

There is a number of threads about conversion of checkboxes into checklists. The short version: Checkboxes should be avoided to build checklists in the new clients.

16 hours ago, Bobby 55 said:

An issue that has been plaguing Evernote for years is where I make a checkbox list, and hit "enter" to create a new checkbox, then type text, on the Android App.  Then, when I access Evernote online, all the checkboxes suddenly become bullet points, destroying pages of lists.

Are you on the most recent Android version?

• Like 1

I'm not sure what is meant by a "checklist" vs checkboxes  for the online version, I only see it on the app (I don't like the strikeout feature which is why I never considered using that).  The checkboxes should work without sometimes reformatting to bulleted lists between platforms and then "saving" that way.  In the online ribbon, I don't see any option for checklists, just the option to create a checkbox, bulleted list, or a numbered list.  I just want a checkbox, then some text (such as a "buy list" of items), and then I can check it and uncheck it depending on whether I currently determine I need to purchase that item again, without any strikeout reformatting. 

Besides turning a checkbox list into bulleted lists uncommanded, random line-spacing is often added between platforms, such as between the online version and Android.  It seems to be a system compatibility issue, maybe related also to the presence of hidden formatting elements embedded in the note.  Cross-platform functionality is one of the primary reasons I otherwise find Evernote useful, and I think that should be a core focus of Evernote staff.  I hesitate to expand its use into my work/ business and continue to use other systems for those as they are more critical to have error-free productivity.  I spend a lot of time fixing auto-reformatting bugs in many of my notes when I switch platforms.  Lately, upon opening a note, it often starts at the bottom of the note, and I have to then scroll back up manually to the top (Android app).  Numerous formatting and other bugs like these are pretty common, having used Evernote for many years now.  There are many ways to use Evernote, and they should all work; having certain ways of using it remain buggy but available is weird to me.

• Evernote Expert

Checklists can be configured not to strike through when checked. See settings.

Check boxes were maintained to work with the Legacy apps. They are accessible via the blue + button in the apps.