(Archived) Disable Outlook add-in

eeliujie

I am a new user of Evernote. The version I am using is 4.0.1.2927. After I installed it on my laptop, I found my outlook2003 crashed frequently.

I tried several times and found the possible root cause: the software will add a button on the tool bar of outlook named "Add to Evernote". If I don't start Evernote (I don't want it start automatically with windows log-in), outlook cannot be launched correctly (no-response), and the button is grey. After I uninstall Evernote, outlook recovers and works properly.

There's no option in Evernote to disable this button in outlook.

If this problem cannot be fixed, I am afraid I cannot use this powerful tool any more...

I have the same problem. Evernote 3.5 is working fine with Outlook 2003 (and Exchange 2007). But when I update to Evernote 4, I can't start Outlook anymore, it crashes everytime. I hope there is a a way to solve this problem, because I love this tool!

I am finding the same here, although I am using Outlook 2007. Evernote is automatically started when starting windows, but outlook will hang on launch, with the 'Send to Evernote' button greyed out.

I have had to remove the add-in to get Outlook to start until a fix is available. All is well with Outlook and it starts first time.

Stuart

I am finding the same here, although I am using Outlook 2007. Evernote is automatically started when starting windows, but outlook will hang on launch, with the 'Send to Evernote' button greyed out.

I have had to remove the add-in to get Outlook to start until a fix is available. All is well with Outlook and it starts first time.

Stuart

Hi Erwlas, where can I uninstall the plug-in in outlook? I could not find the option in outlook 2003 on my laptop.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.

Click Advanced Options, and then click COM Add-Ins.

Do any of the following:

To disable an add-in, clear the check box next to the add-in.

To remove an add-in, clear the check box next to the add-in you want to remove, and then click Remove.

I just unclicked and my Outlook is back to normal. I had crashes and the most common problem was that messages in the outbox didn't send.

Pete

I have a problem that I haver been able to recreate in both Outlook 2003 and 2007.

I have evernote running. I press the "Add to evernote" button, the tags dialog box comes up and then Outlook seems to hang.

As I say works on both version of office. My workaround has been to mail the email to my evernote address, not perfect but works well enough.

Could you, please, specify the exact version of Outlook you have (including any service pack, if any). You can get that information in Outlook: Help -> About Microsoft Office Outlook.

Also, if you have any other add-ons installed in Outlook.

Thanks,

Max

• 4 weeks later...

After I had disabled the "iTunes Outlook Addin" in Outlook 2003 SP3 (11.8325.8324) the "Add to Evernote 4" works fine and Outlook didn't crash anymore! :)

How to disable "iTunes Outlook Addin" in Outlook?

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab.

Click Advanced Options, and then click COM Add-Ins.

To disable an add-in, clear the check box next to the add-in.

I disabled Outlook add-in by clearing the Evernote checkbox in COM add-ins, but after reboot I seem to have the add-in back. At least the "Add to Evernote 4" button is here. However, I don't see Evernote in COM add-ins any more, so I cannot disable it! Please let me know how to disable this add-in or remove it completely, as it is causing GDI objects leak (the number of GDI objects used by Outlook goes up to 9999 every now and then, at which point I have to restart it).

I'm also very frustrated with this. Despite disabling the add-in on more than one occasion, it seems to somehow keep coming back in Outlook. I can only assume that Evernote the program is somehow re-enabling it, or that it's getting re-enabled every time EN is updated. Please Evernote, fix this and allow users to remove or disable the addin if it's not wanted.

@azerole:

Unfortunately, we were not able reproduce the GDI objects leak. Could you, please, specify the Evernote version you have as well as your operating system version and the version of Outlook.

Also, do you notice the jumps in the GDI objects when you perform particular actions in Outlook?

If you install Evernote for everyone on the machine, Outlook does not list the add-in in the COM add-ins for individual users.

To disable the add-in in this case you would need to modify the system registry directly. If you feel comfortable modifying the system registry,

I can supply you with the specific value to modify.

If you install Evernote for your user only, then the add-in will show up in the COM add-ins dialog in Outlook.

@jayp

Thank you for the suggestion, we will look into keeping the add-in's enabled/disabled status on updates.

Thanks,

Max

I'm running Windows XP Pro .. Outlook 2003 .. and Evernote 4.1.0.3413.. Desktop Sponsored Version

I'm having the exact same problem... miffed as to why Evernote can't seem to replicate this when so many are reporting it. It doesn't happen right away-- but after Outlook is open some time (a few hours?) you get the distortion in the interface.. can't see all the headers.. menu options disappear and reappear. As previously described by another user 'gelatinous mess'.

I've found the only way to fix it temporarily is to close Outlook then go into Task Manager processes and close Outlook in there (Outlook is still running in the Task Manager after you close it)... but what's really odd is that in Task Manager processes, when you try to close Outlook it blinks at you for a while (several minutes) before it closes down. A few times, I've just had to shut down the machine.

I don't want to stop using Evernote.. just started / want to upgrade to premium / really like it's functionality. But this is a total game breaker-- you can't remove it from Tools/Options/addons and com add on's within Outlook- it doesn't exist. It shouldn't be an issue of did you install as an administrator or a user- the option should be there (almost Microsoft esque the way that functions).

Messing with the registry is not an option- either it works or it doesn't- this should be a priority option to repair.

Please let us know status of the fix .. again.. GREAT product but the upgrade to 4 has been a disaster with Outlook.

On this machine I have XP Pro, Outlook 2003 and 4.1.0.3413 (116576) Public. I am a premium subscriber.

If this has been why my machine has gone to hell in the last few weeks, I am going to be more than upset. It has cost me hours and hours of lost time when the screen flickers and outlook just melts and freezes.Then I have to reboot. Then 10-20 minutes to repair the Outlook file each time I open Outlook. I had year-end deadlines that were not met due to these many, many errors and hours on the phone with our techs and trying to find out the cause of this meltdown. I think this cost me in the nature of 15-20 hours of lost time in the last 2 weeks. That's many thousands of dollars and time not spent with my kids.

If this is considered a serious company and product, I want serious attention to this issue and compensation of some sort. This is a practically a crime to release a product that would do this with no way to turn it off. As you can tell, I am very angry as I have paid for the premium product, and this is what we get? Users are not beta testers! What can be done to get this out of Outlook? Product overall is great, but I never use this in Outlook and to have it basically ruin my computer? No way. Please help get this out of Outlook... Yesterday.

Hello,

Just for the record: I have disabled the Outlook add-in in the following way (recommendation taken from another similar topic on this forum):

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\EvernoteOL.Connect

2. Change the LoadBehavior value to 2.

Since then the problem has not been seen any more. I recommend this solution for anybody who has weird problems with Outlook potentially caused by Evernote plugin and who does not really need this plugin much.

@maxikk:

My EN version is 4.1.0.3381 (115727) Prerelease. However I have upgraded from another 4.1 version about the same time I disabled the EN plugin, so I cannot really confirm that this version still has this bug. I was not able to relate the GDI objects usage leap to any particular action in Outlook. My only suggestion is that you may want to check if it is possible that Send/Receive has any influence, as this is the only thing that I'm guaranteed to do on a regular basis.

Hi - I did the edit to the registry setting and it appears to have worked; fingers crossed.

This, however, needs to be rectified ASAP and users notified in some fashion. I had no idea this could be it and was hunting with our IT tech for several days to figure out why Outlook was gone to hell--I thought it was an update to our new Anti-Virus that just happened or perhaps the links to our document management system or perhaps x1.

Anyway, just let people choose whether to put in these add-ins, and make it easy to remove them.

Thanks & Happy New Year.

T.

I just followed the same routine for editing the registry... entered value 2 as described... Evernote is now disabled in Outlook. This seems to have

resolved the problem. Thank you! for your help. In line with the other responses... Evernote needs to create this fix in an immediate patch.

I am also having an issue with Evernote/Outlook causing problems with Outlook. Another person in my company is also having issues with Outlook.

I need to disable the add in to Outlook WITHOUT editing the registry, as my company will not allow registry edits. I need this bug fixed.

I finally found a solution.

1. Uninstall Evernote

2. Delete all your Evernote databases in your user/app data folder (I found several)

3. Download the latest public version of Evernote (currently 4.1.0.3431)

4. When you install the new Evernote, select the Advanced options button

5. Select to install Evernote for this user only

6. The evernote Outlook clipper now appears in the COM addins option in Outlook

7. Uncheck the Evernote clipper in Outlook COM Addins

8. Close Outlook and reboot. Everything should be golden.

You may have to revisit the COM Addins option and uncheck it after any updates to Evernote.

Since I am the only user on my computer, I lose no functionality by installing Evernote just for me.

Windows 7 64 bit, Outlook 2003

• 10 months later...

I haven't found a way to do this with the Evernote UI, so I disabled the add-in in Outlook. (I also eliminated the clipper from my Startup folder and disabled the process in the registry.)

In general I think Evernote is terrific. I just don't appreciate it when an application decides to insert itself elsewhere without asking and/or without offering a toggle. In this case, Evernote added a clipper to Outlook and a clipper process to Windows, neither of which I need or asked for.

It would be simple enough to start first-time users with a configuration wizard where they could make these (and other) choices, and offer a toggle in the UI if they later change their minds. Instead, we get the same annoying video that plays if we don't type our login details quickly enough or agree to be signed in automatically for a week, which does no good if you're sharing a computer.

• 7 months later...

Very Good help. Thank you for posting the information regarding disabling this in Outlook. Steps are In Outlook 2003+: Tools>Trust Center>Add-ins; at the bottom of the page: Magage COM Add-ins, GO, then uncheck Evernote and Apply/OK. I agree with you that evernote is great but should not imbed itself into outlook without notice! :P

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

is there any solution to this problem in 2013?

i have an annoying "add to evernote 4" button in my outlook which I CANNOT REMOVE!! there is no entry in the registry under outllook addins, and whenever i "disable" it from the tools -> trust centre -> add ins, it does NOT go away, nor does it go away when i re-start the client!!

there are NO options in evernote to disable it!!! 

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING. 

i don't care how useful evernote is, if there is no solution to removing this - i will quit using evernote across all platforms!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived