How can I disable all AI features?

How can I disable all AI features in a Evernote? How can I prevent the content of notes from being sent to OpenAI? How can I ensure the privacy of my notes? How can I ensure my notes are not used for AI model training in any capacity whatsoever?

If there is no definitive and solid solution to this problem today then I simply cannot continue to use Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  AI is an opt-IN feature.  If you don't want to use it,  just don't click the AI button on the editing bar.  It's not possible to delete that button,  but it should be easy to avoid it if you wish. 

Full disclosure - this is not an 'official' Evernote response - we're mainly all users here.  If you want a definitive answer,  contact Support.

• Like 2

That prominent “AI” button in the toolbar makes it seem like a single slip of the finger is enough to irreversibly enable AI features. There might be a “are you sure?” prompt after, or maybe not. This is downright dangerous. Have you tried it?

• Level 5*

There is another screen after the initial click and if you accidentally click that one as well, there is an undo option.  Also, this is only for that specific note, not your entire account.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

We'll have to see how AI Search will work. For now, the AI Cleanup does nothing to your data until you choose to use it and click through two checks that you want to proceed. I don't know how the AI Search will enable opt-in/out

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, foxostro said:

That prominent “AI” button in the toolbar

Depends on your view:  it's already atttracted complaints that it's too small...

There might be a “are you sure?” prompt after, or maybe not.

Let me click that button for you...

image.thumb.jpeg.aa30cbe3f49770ba3d6dcc02a60cac14.jpeg

-The red box is mine,  and confirms that if you proceed the content of this note will be shared with others.  The link to Evernote's Privacy Policy page gets you a page which unreassuringly is blank except for a big heading "Privacy Center",  and the "Supplemental Terms" are basically a 3-page legalese document that says "if anything goes wrong it wasn't Evernote's fault".

Have you tried it?

Yup.  Not on anything important.  I wasn't overly impressed - it added two words to a 900-word text and changed a couple of others.  If you read my posts here,  I tend to make occasional small typos because of speed,  fat fingers and laziness.  I thought this might save me reading things through.  It doesn't,  particularly;  if I use AI I have to check and make sure it didn't change the meaning too badly.  Meh.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I tend to make occasional small typos because of speed,  fat fingers and laziness.  I thought this might save me reading things through.  It doesn't,  particularly;  if I use AI I have to check and make sure it didn't change the meaning too badly.  Meh.

Same here.  I found Grammerly much more helpful to me in that regard.  I also like that Grammarly shows me the specific changes it recommends and I get to accept them or not piecemeal. AI cleanup should consider something similar.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 2:29 AM, agsteele said:

We'll have to see how AI Search will work. For now, the AI Cleanup does nothing to your data until you choose to use it and click through two checks that you want to proceed. I don't know how the AI Search will enable opt-in/out

I want to delete that AI button please, I don't use it. And I would like to customize which formatting features are visible on the editing bar of a note. Ones I use most often. Thks.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Not being able to disable AI is a big bummer. The "AI Edit" button appears every time I select text and I have clicked it several times. Feedback that it's "opt-in" is besides the point — the offer is in the way and it makes Evernote more cumbersome to use. It's bad UX and as a long time Evernote user I dislike it very much.