Evernote's Tasks are not reliable.

El Musleh

Idea

I used Google Tasks along with Google Calendar before switching completely to Evernote Tasks, to have all tasks in one place for productivity. Evernote Tasks are not reliable to use. The following things I noticed:

• The completed tasks from the left bar "Tasks/Notes" are not showing completed after moving them from one note to another. The tasks are as if not completed yet.
  •  Some tasks disappeared from the actual Note and "Tasks" view after moving them from one note to another. This is annoying because I needed to create one again and mention the date. 
  • The repeated daily/weekly tasks are kept in overdue and not shown again – not repeated. It just appears again once marked completed. In Google Tasks, daily tasks appear separately, and I can leave the missed one and track the one after. This is useful for me to get notifications, track my progress and count the missed days.  
  • I wish Evernote tasks appear in the "Home" > "Calendar" widgets similar as Google Tasks showed them on Google Calendar. This is useful to check all today's duties in one place. 
  • I use Evernote tasks for personal use. I don't see the point of keeping "My tasks", "Assigned" categories in "Tasks" view. Furthermore, I wish it's customized to keep the "Due dates" first and "Notes" second.  
  • Evernote's tasks don't support having a note's internal link in them. The link will appear as URL and not note title. Furthermore, hyperlinks are not supported in tasks. I want to use it to view task description/progress. 
  • One of the reasons to upgrade my phone is to use Evernote Tasks, my old phone OS was Android 8.0.  In my new phone (Xiaomi 11T), I did all the settings to prevent the battery from stopping the application from the background and no restriction. However, I never got tasks notification from the app. I missed it multiple times. I need to open the application to view them.

I give Evernote Tasks a try by switching to completely for my daily life. IMHO, Evernote Tasks are not reliable and still need more improvement. 

• Like 3

9 replies to this idea

I also have issues with task text not always getting saved if I make edits to it on desktop (Windows), AND some weirdness where sometimes a note with tasks will appear blank but if I duplicate it, the copy does have the tasks showing up. The duplicate workaround is not great but at least there is a workaround. Losing edits is a big problem and I'll probably switch back to bullet points instead of tasks or find another task management app because I worry I'm forgetting one of my edits when I try to recreate the work.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, El Musleh said:

I give Evernote Tasks a try by switching to completely for my daily life. IMHO, Evernote Tasks are not reliable and still need more improvement. 

I dropped Todoist when tasks came out.  It was basic but ok for my personal needs, and then got better when recurring tasks were added.  There are some problems lately that I think are due to the RTE introduction.  I’ve seen some recent improvements and hope the remaining problems get worked out soon.

I've just found that my recurring task isn't listing in my Task List. It happens to recurring task with "one day/month/year after completion" method. Another task with other method like daily, monthly, or yearly is working well so far.Cuplikanlayar2023-11-23143742.thumb.png.bb09f937862bff77f36f5ec627286ac3.png

5 hours ago, jgrkfln said:

I've just found that my recurring task isn't listing in my Task List. It happens to recurring task with "one day/month/year after completion" method. Another task with other method like daily, monthly, or yearly is working well so far.

I use recurring tasks quite a bit and had this happen to me one time on one of them as well. I had to delete the task entirely and create a new one to fix. 

I find that I mark single and recurring tasks as complete on my Android phone and then when I go back in they are often no longer marked as complete.  When I change due dates in Android, it reverts back to the old date after a while.  And after pressing the save link when creating a new task in Android, it always takes up to 30 seconds to save it.  I know it's most likely related to the size of my database but that doesn't make it OK.

I too have all the same issues as above. Tasks I mark as complete then  they somehow uncomplete themselves and even show overdue a week ago! I have tasks that show on the task list on the Mac that dont show on my iPhone task list. That one baffles me completely. I have tasks that are supposed to recur that dont show on my task list when they are due so I totally miss doing them. Overdue tasks don't always show as overdue they simply disappear. It's only when I happen to go to that note that I see I have an overdue task. 

I have submitted several tickets related to tasks as it seems to be the only real issues I have with EN currently. I wish they would rewrite it or something to get it fixed. It's one of the main reasons I went back to EN. It's definitely not reliable in its current form. 

I think it's best not to rely on Tasks - there's just too many bugs (and often hard to replicate) that it's not effective or worthwhile to continue submitting bug reports for. Tasks that ended up with different recurrent dates and completion status on different devices - and getting Alert notifications for the wrong datetime, etc.

I have since used the default iPhone tasks, especially they are Siri-enabled, works great on Apple Watch, has no syncing issues, and can auto-recognise text like 7pm or next day etc.

Just when you think it has improved .. The task view date is different from the task in the actual note.

image.thumb.png.08e66641c37ccea4e5b005e83eb4d2fa.png

Whenever I complete the task in the task view it disappears and the blue confirmation dialogue box appears but then the task reappears later. Other tasks are also effected. Same on Web or Windows desktop version so I don't think it is a local database problem. Frustrating. 

UPDATE:

I deleted all the site data on the Web version of EN and that solved the problem. On Chrome you click the icon to the left of the url and choose "site settings" and then delete data. When I logged in again it was solved. Could be coincidence but when I went back to the desktop version that was also correct.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

Just when you think it has improved .. The task view date is different from the task in the actual note.

image.thumb.png.08e66641c37ccea4e5b005e83eb4d2fa.png

Whenever I complete the task in the task view it disappears and the blue confirmation dialogue box appears but then the task reappears later. Other tasks are also effected. Same on Web or Windows desktop version so I don't think it is a local database problem. Frustrating. 

UPDATE:

I deleted all the site data on the Web version of EN and that solved the problem. On Chrome you click the icon to the left of the url and choose "site settings" and then delete data. When I logged in again it was solved. Could be coincidence but when I went back to the desktop version that was also correct.

I have tried everything including what you suggest. I continue to have issues. My hope is  that BS will address this in some way in the near future. They seem to be devoting the majority of their resources to cleaning up the source code of the product so hopefully they will address this as well. I have noticed I have more issues when I use the "after completion" option under custom when setting repeats. Such as powerful feature but it doesn't work a lot of the time.  I'm still using tasks because the integration of tasks with notes is so powerful for me but as part of my weekly review I have to review that all the dates are working as they should. I have to constantly make corrections which should not be the case. I use this for personal use and am retired so I get away with it but I certainly would not use this for my work until it becomes stable. 

• Like 1