White system tray icon

• Evernote Expert

This has been noted by others.  There are threads with various recommendations.  I resolved it by changing the taskbar colour (search via a search engine). I recall a clever individual worked out a means of substituting a different icon but this was a very unofficial tweak.  You'll have to search forums for the threads.

I can see that Evernote is in good company on your screen shots with two other tray icons in white.

In short, use the OS settings since this issue hasn't had any traction since it arrived with Windows 11.

• Evernote Expert

I had three minutes to spare today and decided to try out changing the Windows Tray Icon. It was really simple...

1. Quit Evernote so that the tray icon is not displayed.
2. Go to %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons =  C:\Users\my_username\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons
3. Rename trayIcon.ico to trayIcon.bak
4. Create a new icon file for the tray. In my case I copied the icon.ico file that is also present and renamed the copy trayIcon.ico
5. Restart Evernote for Windows and the green elephant is in the tray instead of white.

It really did take just three minutes.  I've no idea what will happen when a program update arrives. Certainly if I was to reinstall I'd expect to have to repeat these steps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
On 6/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, agsteele said:

I had three minutes to spare today and decided to try out changing the Windows Tray Icon. It was really simple...

1. Quit Evernote so that the tray icon is not displayed.
2. Go to %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons =  C:\Users\my_username\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons
3. Rename trayIcon.ico to trayIcon.bak
4. Create a new icon file for the tray. In my case I copied the icon.ico file that is also present and renamed the copy trayIcon.ico
5. Restart Evernote for Windows and the green elephant is in the tray instead of white.

It really did take just three minutes.  I've no idea what will happen when a program update arrives. Certainly if I was to reinstall I'd expect to have to repeat these steps.

I wrote a batch file to do this, so if an update happens to revert it, you can redo the change with one click:

taskkill /f /im evernote.exe
cd %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote\resources\static\win\icons
ren trayicon.ico trayicon.ico.bak
copy icon.ico trayicon.ico
ping 127.0.0.1
cmd /c start "" %localappdata%\Programs\Evernote\evernote.exe

Just save this into changeENTrayIcon.bat and double click. It'll immediately close Evernote rename the white elephant, copy the green one and save it as trayicon.ico and then reopen Evernote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2