Export ALL Notes in Evernote Mac

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

I upgraded my Evernote from v7 to v10 in Mac and I cant find a link to export all my notes. I periodically backup my notes and I used to love the Select All -> Export feature. But now its limiting me to only select upto 10 notes.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, K_evernote said:

But now its limiting me to only select upto 10 notes.

There's also export all notes in a notebook

• Evernote Expert

Exporting individual notes is limited to 100 so if you can only work with a maximum of 10 then something has gone wrong with your new installation. Uninstall with AppCleaner to ensure all corrupted data is removed. Then download the program from Evernote and try again.

As @DTLow notes, you are better exporting hole notebooks.

You can adjust the limit to around 1,000 notes by tweaking a configuration file but that can be very slow.

There are several third-party applications that will do what you request. Have a search for Backuppery or Evernote-backup.

• Level 5

@K_evernote I want to correct you: You BELIEVE you made a sound backup. In fact you created a backup „All notes on one heap“. Why ? Because the export to ENEX does not contain the notebook information. It is lost - if you import from your backup, it creates one huge notebook containing all notes. Beside this, if you have a larger collection of notes, the reimport to the server will fail due to the upload limit. It may happen locally, but it clogs up the upload channel to the server for quite a while, depending on the data volume.

Even with legacy, the proposal of EN always was „backup by notebook“. That is exactly what was implemented in v10.

The main problem with backing up v10 is something else: It doesn’t allow for scripting, so backup is a manual process.

If you think backing up is important, you could take a look at https://www.backupery.com . It’s an external service that automates backing up - for a fee. I follow a different approach: I simply let TimeMachine backup my EN data folder. Backing up means install EN, and replace the data folder by the backup.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:48 AM, PinkElephant said:

I follow a different approach: I simply let TimeMachine backup my EN data folder. Backing up means install EN, and replace the data folder by the backup.

I'm curious whether you or anyone else has ever tested this on v10? On legacy, it very clearly synced every single note and file locally. It would be a shame to discover that v10 hasn't synced some old notes that haven't been accessed in a long time.

• Level 5

The databases on iPad (with a full offline download) and Mac are similar in size. Plus I am working offline with some frequency, poke into older notes as well and never found a note with missing content.

Good enough for me - the local backup is belt & suspenders anyhow, since the main storage is on the server, and I have several devices with a full download in a clients database.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

the local backup is belt & suspenders anyhow

I would agree if I could backup from the local database.  I haven’t tried to figure out a way and I haven’t seen anyone post a method either.  I view the local database only as a large cache to help improve speed and store notes while waiting on sync.

I use the GitHub code for backup but it is only a partial solution since it does not support any of the new elements such as tasks or backlinks.  I suspect that Backupery is in the same boat since the API hasn’t been updated.

I would also be curious to know if anyone has successfully restored Evernote from TimeMachine.  

I haven’t seen a proven 100% backup solution yet.  I assume manually exporting each notebook from within Evernote works with the new elements but I haven’t tried it.  I’m looking for a more automated method.