Syntax search problem

Coa_25

Idea

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with syntax search in EN. It doesn't work well on my desktop app. For example, -tag:* in search bar on windows app will show 83 results, which cannot be right. On mobile app it will show 1258 notes, which is correct. 

I wrote on twiter EN support a moments ago. 

Does enyone have problem like this?

Sorry for my bad english.

Now i see that tags don't work proparly. I have a tag with 108 notes, and when i click that tag it shows only 9 notes?!

7 replies to this idea

I hope someone replies, because I have another basic question:

I was looking for my bank account number saved in Evernote, let us say: 123456789, and I searched for 6789, and Evernote did not found ANY notes.

Then I tried *6789, still NO notes.

Next I tried *6789*, still NO notes!

Then I added quotes: "6789", "*6789", "*6789*"... still NO NOTES!

Search should be the most BASIC function for Evernote... I am getting something wrong? Should I raise a ticket for this?

Thanks!

• Evernote Expert

I think that this has been discussed before. To find your bank account number in your example you'd need to search for 1234 or 1234*.

There may be a more clever approach to enable what you are trying to do but, as a simple search, start from the beginning of the text string.

I know that search is receiving a lot of attention from the devs right now. Some improvements along the way.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:17 AM, Coa_25 said:

I have a problem with syntax search in EN. It doesn't work well on my desktop app. For example, -tag:* in search bar on windows app will show 83 results, which cannot be right. On mobile app it will show 1258 notes, which is correct. 

Search problems on the desktop apps are often solved by rebuilding the database. To do this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer (probably not really necessary).
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I think that this has been discussed before. To find your bank account number in your example you'd need to search for 1234 or 1234*.

There may be a more clever approach to enable what you are trying to do but, as a simple search, start from the beginning of the text string.

I know that search is receiving a lot of attention from the devs right now. Some improvements along the way.

Well, that was not an option for me, since I was reviewing an account ending with, in this example, x-6789, so I would not have the beginning of the account to know which one they were talking about. I thought that by using *6789 you could do it. This is basic search, it would be like opening Word, writing "123456789", and then searching for 6789 and getting a Not Found error.

19 hours ago, MEEMxyz said:

Then I tried *6789, still NO notes.

Next I tried *6789*, still NO notes!

Then I added quotes: "6789", "*6789", "*6789*"... still NO NOTES!

The EN search syntax documentation is very clear that the * can only be used at the end of the word. It was designed to find walk, walking, walks etc. It's always possible that this will change but that is how it is (and always has been). See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

This probably doesn't help, but If there are critical numbers that you want to search for bits of, you need to separate the digits with spaces. That way each digit becomes a "word" and you can search for a sequence of "words". 

e.g 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

search for "6 7"

image.png.a0d0801c6c911c051ea89394b3037b1a.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

More general: EN search will only search for the beginnings of a string - be it a string of letters or a string of numbers.

“*XXX“ will find nothing, because the wildcard is universal (find everything), and makes no sense together with any following characters.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:24 PM, Mike P said:

The EN search syntax documentation is very clear that the * can only be used at the end of the word. It was designed to find walk, walking, walks etc. It's always possible that this will change but that is how it is (and always has been). See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

This probably doesn't help, but If there are critical numbers that you want to search for bits of, you need to separate the digits with spaces. That way each digit becomes a "word" and you can search for a sequence of "words". 

e.g 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

search for "6 7"

OK, Understood, and yes, I was surprised about this, and assumed it had to be a design decision. Also, I tried on the Web version. I still find it weird I am unable to find my account number like that... however, I have used Evernote for more than... 7 years, or 8? Anyway, this is the first time that I have run into this situation, so not critical.

And I have now copy/paste the account number, and followed the above guidance, divide it as

e.g 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

search for "6 7"

That worked perfectly fine!

Thanks for all the inputs!

• Like 2