Horizontal-line feature appears to be broken in Evernote 10

I now have an ever-growing list of features that I've used for years that have inexplicably been removed from Evernote 10 for Mac.

One such feature is the insertion of a horizontal line (divider) into the body of a note. For more than a decade, I've use this feature in most of my notes. In Evernote 7, such a line could be added by typing a few hyphens and hitting return. There was also a dedicated button that would enter a horizontal line:

image.thumb.png.9781c8a3245ec5acbb423ac6a4bc6093.png

That button has been removed in Evernote 10. I don't care about the button itself, as long as there's some way to enter a horizontal line. (I always used the hyphen method anyway.) But as far as I can tell, this feature no longer exists in Evernote 10 at all.

In recent conversations with Evernote support, a representative has repeatedly asserted that this feature remains in Evernote 10. He wrote:

"Regarding the divider lines, you can create a horizontal divider by adding three hyphens (-) and pressing Enter on your keyboard. This should create a horizontal divider inside your note."

After I again asserted that the feature no longer works in Evernote 10, he suggested I delete and reinstall my Evernote database. Knowing a bit about how software works, I was extremely skeptical that this would change anything, but I did my due diligence and performed the steps he requested. As predicted, nothing changed.

Bottom Line: Is the horizontal-line feature working in Evernote 10 for anyone here? Or is this Evernote representative ill-informed about the product that he represents?

• Level 5*

The Evernote rep appears to have known what they were talking about.  Three hyphens still works for me,  and 'divider' is available under the blue cross in the note header.

Has always worked for me on every version of Evernote 10 since the beginning -- including the most latest release:

image.gif.e5c67f03b3325a2bb09a12886510c97d.gif

Note that three hyphens does not work on mobile (iPad, iPhone and guessing Android too). You have to use three equal signs.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, Boot17 said:

… Note that three hyphens does not work on mobile (iPad, iPhone and guessing Android too). You have to use three equal signs.

… or 3 stars (***). Close it with a space or Enter, and it converts the symbols to a separator line, and puts the cursor to the next line.

Thanks for the replies. (For some reason, the forum software has stopped notifying me of replies, even though I'm following the topic.)

I'm very glad to learn that this feature still exists. 😊

Ironically, the one method that Evernote support repeatedly gave me—typing three hyphens, then "enter"—still does NOT work for me in Evernote 10 for Mac. That's what led me to ask about this here.

What I've since learned does work is either (a) selecting the divider button after clicking the blue "+" button or (b) typing ⇧⌘H—two, reliable methods that Evernote support never mentioned, despite exchanging several email messages on this topic.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, soundsgoodtome said:

Ironically, the one method that Evernote support repeatedly gave me—typing three hyphens, then "enter"—still does NOT work for me in Evernote 10 for Mac.

Well, not sure why it isn't working for you, but that method does work for others using a Mac, including me.

• 11 months later...

Working in Android 14 on my Pixel 7 - I can insert a horizontal line (divider) either using the blue INSERT button and then selecting DIVIDER or with three hyphens or three equal signs followed by space, but the line is so faint, I can barely see it. It was much bolder in the old Android app and also was far more convenient to select from the icon bar - a single click rather than having to select the  INSERT button, then the DIVIDER button or even the shortcuts. Why were things like the highlighter icon, the horizontal line icon and the bulleted list default icon removed from the icon bar? I realize there are now more choices, like highlighter color or type of list, but there should be a way to select a default option and not have to click multiple times. Perhaps there are default options in the Windows client? I create the majority of my notes on my phone.

Thank you for the reality check, PinkElephant, disappointing as that may be. I apologize for posting this in the Mac forum as an Android user. I was searching for issues about the divider line and didn't realize until after I posted that I was in the Mac issues forum. I finally made the forced switch from the old app to the new version, and have worked my way through the worst of the learning curve (I hope) - but, although a few things are nicer (for example, the web clipper), overall I find this new (to me) version clumsy, slow, not intuitive and frustrating with features that were one click in the old app and now buried deep in a variety of places. But with 28,000 notes, I don't see a viable alternative. I will take your suggestion and put together a list for the EN team.