Takes too much time to sync changes between devices (minutes)

Dima Ku

Idea

I typically edit my notes using two devices: a laptop and a phone. I've had constant struggles with conflicts (dozens of edit conflicts) and slow syncing (multiple seconds). While the updated sync protocol has improved the situation, it still falls short of my expectations for an app in 2023 (compared to real-time sync apps like Notion or Google Docs). Currently, I'm writing this message as I wait for a note to sync on my desktop. It's already been more than 10 minutes. The Evernote status page indicates that there are no problems at the moment.

I'm using the latest version of Evernote, which supports the new sync protocol/CRDT.

On Mac: 10.56.9-mac-ddl-public (4080)
Editor: v168.1.20898
Service: v1.68.4

On iOS: 10.50.4 (1129949).

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

4 hours ago, Dima Ku said:

it still falls short of my expectations for an app in 2023 (compared to real-time sync apps like Notion or Google Docs)

RTE Sync in Evernote is just that for me -- real-time sync. I've tested in browser, on Mac app, Windows app, iPhone and iPad all at the same time. Sync in Evernote is just as fast as Google Docs for me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, Dima Ku said:

Currently, I'm writing this message as I wait for a note to sync on my desktop. It's already been more than 10 minutes.

As others have responded, that shouldn't be the current experience. I'm on Windows and Android rather than Mac and iOS, so I can't speak directly to your situation. On Windows machines experiencing out-of-the-norm issues like this, the suggestion is often made to completely uninstall Evernote, including its database, which might have a corruption. I'm not sure how this would be done on a Mac, but it might be worth finding out. Or, as suggested above, contact support (I believe they're on Twitter for people with free accounts).

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dima Ku said:

I typically edit my notes using two devices: a laptop and a phone. I've had constant struggles with conflicts (dozens of edit conflicts) and slow syncing (multiple seconds). While the updated sync protocol has improved the situation, it still falls short of my expectations for an app in 2023 (compared to real-time sync apps like Notion or Google Docs). Currently, I'm writing this message as I wait for a note to sync on my desktop. It's already been more than 10 minutes. The Evernote status page indicates that there are no problems at the moment.

I'm using the latest version of Evernote, which supports the new sync protocol/CRDT.

On Mac: 10.56.9-mac-ddl-public (4080)
Editor: v168.1.20898
Service: v1.68.4

On iOS: 10.50.4 (1129949).

Dima,

Your issue sounds like an issue I've had many times. Each time I found a solution that works, it was a different solution from the previous solution that had worked. Other times, the problem just seemed to go away on it's own. I'm not sure what the lesson here is, other than Evernote will just break every once in a while. Sorry it happened. Good luck.

- John

Thank you, everyone.

Just to provide a bit more detail: I have large notes. At the beginning of every month, I create a new note that I continuously edit throughout the month, logging the results of my work sessions each day.

image.thumb.png.99c108d036deadebbdfcdd63165e4687.png

Before the update to the new synchronization method, I would encounter more than a dozen sync conflicts every month. I would then manually edit these conflicts to ensure everything was in place. I was happy when Evernote switched to CRDT for syncing, but a scary issue was introduced with it - silent conflicts, resulting in content loss without any indication that it had been lost in a conflict.

For instance, that note that took a long time to sync (I guess it fully synced a day later). Today, I discovered that some of the tasks had just vanished; over ten tasks had been logged, and after the silent conflict (or whatever bug this may be), they had simply transformed into this:

image.thumb.png.298e61796ac14790efcb17a05b93906c.png

CRDT is fantastic, but please, please be careful, development team!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have no issues syncing between Windows Desktop and two fairly old Androids, Smartphone & Tablet.  Since RTE Synce was introduced the syncs happen in seconds rather than minutes.  

• Like 1

Software companies have been doing database sync since the 70's. Online sync of multiple, update-able copies of a database (one for each device, plus the EN server) has been a solved problem since, oh, roughly 2000. I am always happy to see the rare, modest improvements that happen, but it baffles me how EN still hasn't solved this. Worse, for every improvement (as apparently CRTD is), there is backsliding (sync no longer handles conflicts in all cases; it used to be able to do this). My guess is that the EN code base is a mess, and the dev team incapable of a mega-de-cruft or ground-up re-write.

I've been using EN daily since 9/23/2012. I am now certain this reflects Evernote's poor prospects for the future. If they stay in business, progress will be mostly sideways with little net forward movement. Very sad face.

• Level 5

@John in Michigan USA, you've been around these forums awhile too, so you've seen previous "Evernote is dying" type posts. All I ask is that you come back in 6 months or a year and either help write the obituary or (much more likely, I think) report on how the refund on your crystal ball is going. :)

WRT "ground-up re-write," that's what v. 10 was.

WRT "as apparently CRTD is," have you tried editing on two devices simultaneously? Quite a treat.