For Evernote users who use TaskClone (seeing duplication of tasks and how to prevent it)

This information is from TaskClone:

Duplicate Tasks in Evernote

Without notice, Evernote recently released an update called "Real-Time Editing" that apparently blocks notes from being updated by their API while the note is open in the app or browser.  This change means TaskClone is unable to update notes with Skip Codes or remove the Trigger Tag.  This will ultimately cause tasks to be duplicated when the note is edited again.  For now, please make sure that you close the note in your browser or app as soon as you add the Trigger tag.  Please allow 2 minutes before opening the note again so the process can complete. 

We will update here when we have a more durable fix.

Source: https://support.taskclone.com/article/358-duplicate-tasks-in-evernote

• Like 1

We all know Evernote's API is outdated. What many don't know is they haven't updated the documentation in years so it doesn't reflect the currently reality of the product. 

Every single app that uses the API is a Legacy app and at risk of breaking since version 10 was released. 

Ian said "the backend needs some love" but that love has never been documented or accessible to developers. Early on, Evernote's detailed API made it the note app with the most integrations. That is already changing and if this isn't addressed, it will accelerate that change while breaking the existing integrations that haven't given up. This technical debt is assuredly a headache for the company too. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, realistdreamer said:

it will accelerate that change while breaking the existing integrations

I want this issue resolved too. It's frustrating that I cannot connect to my productivity apps the way I expect them to, and that's one of the driving values of my Evernote usage.

Something to note, this will only get worse before it gets better. While Evernote/Bending Spoons, I'm sure, still intends to update the API it would be at this point a whole new API might make sense to eliminate much technical debt. (Of course, they may intend to stay with Thrift.) They will need to wrestle with which API protocol to choose (again), which would likely break all the existing integrations that don't update to the new API protocol, and specs.

Realistically, the existing dev.evernote.com isn't going to be touched until they decide to do something with the API. It hadn't been updated in years, why start now? Lol.

I'm saying all this to temper everyone's expectations around this (as an outsider looking in) because it's a heavy lift that doesn't seem to be top-of-mind for Bending Spoons at this time, and when it does hit the roadmap it's going to be like the transition from Legacy to v10+! 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Ray Sidney-Smith said:

Realistically, the existing dev.evernote.com isn't going to be touched until they decide to do something with the API. It hadn't been updated in years, why start now? Lol.

Before the acquisition, I understand they were "planning" what to do with the API so they could incorporate things like Tasks.  Building a new API with something different than Thrift is a well worn path.  However, transitioning all the apps that depend on that transition being successful will be a herculean effort.  Having both APIs partially operational at the same time also seems like a huge headache (although they are using ENML and another format simultaneously now).  My larger fear is that being a mobile-first company, BS may de-prioritize integrations altogether.  To your point, EN had not touched the dev site for years and has a app marketplace that exists in a similar state.  Why start now?

• 4 weeks later...

I use a service to sync todos between Evernote and Todoist called Pleexy. Which obviously relies on the Evernote and Todoist APIs. 

The service has been working beautifully until RTE was implemented and now this service is completely broken and with it goes my productivity system 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Faisal Malallah said:

I use a service to sync todos between Evernote and Todoist called Pleexy. Which obviously relies on the Evernote and Todoist APIs. 

The service has been working beautifully until RTE was implemented and now this service is completely broken and with it goes my productivity system 

Pleexy should only require the note be closed to update the status of the checkbox. 

Does closing the note not work? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Faisal Malallah said:

I use a service to sync todos between Evernote and Todoist called Pleexy

I would have thought that Pleexy support are best placed to comment on whether Evernote's RTE changes impact their service,  but you could also copy the query to Evernote support in case they're able to comment.  If Evernote altered their service to somehow invalidate their published API you would (IMHO) have basis for a complaint.  But Evernote are allowed to change their coding to include a new feature if they decide to do so - if that affects third party services,  it's up to that company to catch up.  Evernote has exactly the same problem with browsers and OS updates.  I use Postach.io and Filterize with my account but haven't seen any differences - yet...

Here's Pleexy's article referencing this issue: https://help.pleexy.com/en/articles/7982892-why-aren-t-your-tasks-being-completed-in-evernote

Overall, third-party integrations using Evernote's SDK are NOT working properly.

I have tested IFTTT,  Zapier, and Pleexy, and all of them don't update the content in the note. Although the integration indicates that the note has been updated and I can see the changes in the note preview, the actual changes are not reflected in the note itself.

An example of IFTTT:

• I have an applet that appends a to-do in Evernote when new tasks are created in Todoist.
  • ITTF shows that the item was added.
  • The todo appears in the note preview, but not in the actual note. Even reloading the page doesn't help.
  • I wrote a small Node.js script using Evernote's official SDK that also doesn't work. Although I see the changes when I get the note again via SDK and I see the applied changes in the Evernote preview, the changes do not show up in the actual Evernote content.
  • Script: https://pastebin.com/Hqh8WyTR
  • The preview shows the updated content, but the note isn’t being updated.
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, RedElefant said:

The preview shows the updated content, but the note isn’t being updated.

Are you checking the note by signing in at Evernote.com?  These changes are (I assume) all being made on the server,  so maybe they are not being fully synced to your local device.  Either way I'd suggest you raise this with Support - without some direct feedback from someone experiencing the issue,  they may not even know there's a problem yet.

3 hours ago, RedElefant said:

... I have tested IFTTT,  Zapier, and Pleexy, and all of them don't update the content in the note. Although the integration indicates that the note has been updated and I can see the changes in the note preview, the actual changes are not reflected in the note itself.

An example of IFTTT:

I can confirm that my simple IFTTT script that appends a list to the same daily note every day, does not do so anymore but shows no error on the side of IFTTT.com. It also goes wrong when that particular note is not in use, not being editted or anything...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MvdH said:

but shows no error on the side of IFTTT.com

Fair enough,  but I bet IFTTT support will be able to run down the cause.  Guessing it's the long delay in opening notes and converting to RTE ??

For me, the new update EN 10.58.3  did not solve the problem, worse, tasks stopped working correctly, there are still other bugs involving tasks, the most disturbing issue is that after deleting a recurring task, the task reappears.

I started the original post. The solution to the issue (caused by RTE) was to be sure notes were closed. That would allow TaskClone to be able to make needed changes to the note. I was also experiencing issues with three IFTTT applets that involved appended to a particular Evernote note. Keeping that note closed unless I really needed to be in it solved the issue.

Something seems to have changed May 24th between 10:00AM and 6:00 PM CDT. The morning of May 24th is the last time any of the 3 IFTTT applets fired. I am just getting back in the country after being on vacation for two weeks. My desktop computer was off. I left my laptop at home. Neither my tablet not phone ever looked at the one Evernote note in question, so it was closed the entire time.

During the vacation, I had not been adding tasks into Evernote notes, but after returning, I am seeing that a task just added yesterday appeared on Remember The Milk three times and the task has yet to acquire the |TC| skip code.