ScanSnap aways goes to 'default' folder, not folder with focus

Previously, I used my ix500 scanner with ScanSnap software to import directly into Evernote.  The setup was configured to scan directly into whatever folder had the focus in Evernote, so if I was scanning a stack of bills, I'd select the Evernote folder and everything I subsequently scanned would end up in that folder.  The only time something would go into the default folder was if Evernote was not open.

Now, however, everything goes directly into the default folder, regardless of whether it has the focus or not.  Is this the expected behavior (eg, have you removed the functionality to scan directly to a selected folder), or is something misconfigured on my end that I need to trouble-shoot?

• Level 5

No idea, I stopped using this option since v10 introduced Import Folders on the Mac. With legacy they only existed on Windows.

I use the „Scan to Folder“ profile for my ix500 in ScanSnap Manager. I then rename the scanned file in the dialogue box, and send it to the Import Folder. From there it imports into the linked notebook. It uses the file name as note title. This means I don’t need to rework the note after the import, because the notes name is already matching my titling conventions.

You can have more than one Import Folder, each one linked to a different notebook.

• Level 5
37 minutes ago, agsteele said:

The scanning software is provided by Fujitsu/ScanSnap. You should ask it what has changed. 

If we want to go down this rabbit hole: Fujitsu provided 2 versions, ScanSnap Home and ScanSnap Manager. Both offer similar options, but Manager is regarded as the more complete software. Consequently Fujitsu has just deprecated it another time, telling users it will only develop Home any more. They did this 2 or 3 years ago for the first time - then half a year later they released a completely new, revised version of manager.

So far when talking about Fujitsu software. Beside this, their websites are a utter chaos and no fun to use. And the ix500 is discontinued, and will not be supported any more within the next year or so.

My ix500 is alive and kicking, hope it stays this way.

• Like 1
On 5/12/2023 at 12:16 AM, agsteele said:

The scanning software is provided by Fujitsu/ScanSnap. You should ask it what has changed. 

Nothing has changed on the ScanSnap side.  Evernote "updated" itself and the functionality changed.  What I am trying to understand is whether it is still possible to scan to a folder, or whether the only functionality in Evernote is to scan into the default folder and then manually move to another folder.  If I can only scan to the default folder, I don't need to spend hours trying to trouble-shoot.  If Evernote still has the ability to scan directly into the folder that is selected, then I will try to figure out what has changed in my configuration to cause that to no longer work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same workflow as the OP. Really frustrated that this no longer works.  Selecting the focus folder within Evernote made it very easy to scan directly into the desired folder.  Now items are always scanned into the default folder and have to be moved into the appropriate folder. 

Import folders are useful but not when you have a large number of folders. It's an impractical solution. 

Really hoping this gets fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can have more than 1 import folder, each linked to another notebook, and usually you won’t scan into more than a handful of them. Unless you have a less than optimal filing concept (the one using too many notebooks), then I would rather optimize this system.

If anything like „drop scan into notebook X“ will return, no idea. EN v10 doesn’t support scripting, and defining the notebook as a parameter sounds suspiciously close to scripting.

• 8 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 4:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can have more than 1 import folder, each linked to another notebook, and usually you won’t scan into more than a handful of them. Unless you have a less than optimal filing concept (the one using too many notebooks), then I would rather optimize this system.

Currently at 26k notes in one of my Evernote accounts which I recently had to "upgrade" from Legacy that worked great.  26k notes requires many folders (NOT "less than optimal"... perhaps you do not rely on Evernote to the degree others do) which I have organized meticuously.  Setting up import folders for each one is not a good solution, compared to just open a folder, scan, done.  I rely heavily on Evernote and this "upgrade" is stinging.  I hope this gets fixed.

• Level 5

I am in 5 digits notes as well, and I run 40 notebooks. It could be less, but I use some for sharing content in my projects as a freelancer.

Just to mention it: I think any setup using a lot of notebooks, neglecting tags as main organizing tool is not making use of the powers of EN.

Side effect: Efficient use of Import Folders.