"Syncing temporarily paused."

Go to solution Solved by Scott T.,

• Level 5

Anyone else seeing this message (in a gray bar at the top of the screen)?

Syncing temporarily paused. You can continue editing while Evernote reconnects.

I'm getting it occasionally on the Windows desktop program (and maybe the Android app, but I'm not sure). The "reconnection" generally happens in a minute or less, though I've seen longer. I assume it's due to some processing overload as people start using the new sync. But that's only an assumption.

9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Anyone else seeing this message (in a gray bar at the top of the screen)?

I'm getting it occasionally on the Windows desktop program (and maybe the Android app, but I'm not sure). The "reconnection" generally happens in a minute or less, though I've seen longer. I assume it's due to some processing overload as people start using the new sync. But that's only an assumption.

Yeah, I have it on both the Windows and Android client. Has somebody already raised a ticket for this?  A few days ago I mentioned it here as well:

• Ex Employees
18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

And just now in the Web client (not desktop) I got the Red Triangle of Temporary Unavailability. Fortunately, it passed before I could even finish saving the screen snip.

This was during the normal weekly release we have. Shouldn't have lasted more than a few minutes. The web client should be saving in the background, so hopefully you wouldn't lost many changes. We actually have a team actively working on a solution which should eliminate the downtime we've always had with our weekly release of the web client and backend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thanks, @Scott T.. The red triangle was only there for less than a minute, though it was a bit alarming. (Probably less so for me, since I drive an older Prius and I get their Red Triangle of Doom all the time for no reason, so I'm used to ignoring it :D.) Hopefully the scaling up mentioned in another thread will eliminate the "Sync temporarily paused" issue too.

• Ex Employees
  • Solution

The team made more improvements yesterday and our system metrics look significantly better. So far we have not been able to reproduce the "syncing temporarily paused" issue today. 

We're continuing to make performance improvements, but let me know if this issue persists. We think it's possible you may see this rarely still, but the likelihood should be reduced significantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Level 5*

It still seems to be around - in the past couple of hours I've been distracted several times by the display on my second screen - which is Evernote - jumping up and down as the grey "paused" bar keeps on dropping in...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, Yannou2000 said:

@Scott T. - to me sync seems completely broken. Is there a "meta issue" that is not communicated?

How can I get support (going beyond the "restart your computer", "check you have the latest version....")?

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new -- for paying subscribers, but free users can subscribe for just one month to get support, then drop back to free.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, MBFanning said:

Happening a lot on my MacBook.  What is going on???

Not a lot... apparently.  Something is impacting a connection and Evernote is recovering.

• Ex Employees

Just an update that we pushed some more changes that should further reduce this issue. There was a case where intermittent large calls could trigger the issue for a set of users on the same server (serving a subset of prod users). We'll be continuing to work on performance improvements. 

• Like 6
  • Level 5*

Is the task syncing issue related to these changes?  If so, I'll sit tight and wait and see.  If not I'll enter a bug report.  In particular, recurring tasks that have been marked complete reappear and do not get pushed to the new date.  It does seem to be intermittent and I'm experiencing it more on the Mac than the iPhone.

17 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Is the task syncing issue related to these changes?  If so, I'll sit tight and wait and see.  If not I'll enter a bug report.  In particular, recurring tasks that have been marked complete reappear and do not get pushed to the new date.  It does seem to be intermittent and I'm experiencing it more on the Mac than the iPhone.

I'm experiencing this too..on Mac desktop. Not sure if it is problematic on my phone too as I rarely update/access tasks there. But Tasks performance (and functionality) has been really problematic the past few days (and today).

22 minutes ago, Wichita State Shocker said:

Today, Friday May 19th.  The "Syncing Temporarily Paused"  is happening constantly.  If reconnects every few minutes, but then I get the message

"Offline - Syncing temporarily paused"  Message.   Its been happening all morning.

Is this just a bad day?

Have you updated to the latest release 10.57.5-win-ddl-public (4090) ?

5 hours ago, Stacey Harmon said:

I'm experiencing this too..on Mac desktop. Not sure if it is problematic on my phone too as I rarely update/access tasks there. But Tasks performance (and functionality) has been really problematic the past few days (and today).

I'm having trouble with Tasks too. When I create a Task with a due date, it saves that, but when I go to save the Task, nothing happens. I got it to work just now by double-clicking on the Save button, but that doesn't always work either. I'm on the Mac desktop app using 10.57.5.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, ClaudiaV said:

When I create a Task with a due date, it saves that, but when I go to save the Task, nothing happens.

I've seen this as well on Mac.  I got so frustrated at one point I instead created the task on iPhone which did work.

I've been getting this too. It meant I couldn't use RTE yesterday during a planning session.

I tried logging out and not saving data (Windows app). On re-opening the message was gone. RTE was back, but slow. A while later, the message returned. I will raise a ticket if it continues for more than a few days.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:54 PM, Scott T. said:

Just an update that we pushed some more changes that should further reduce this issue. There was a case where intermittent large calls could trigger the issue for a set of users on the same server (serving a subset of prod users). We'll be continuing to work on performance improvements. 

It’s still happening for me consistently and has been for days. I am getting it on Mac app. And I’ve had consistent issues with my app and Macbook iOS syncing. I have to shut down both my phone and laptop multiple times to get it work. Sometimes just parts of the note will sync - so odd and off putting, given the recent astronomical price increase. 

• Level 5*

Oddly I've been (mostly) trouble-free for the past few days.  Best advice is the usual "contact Support or feed it back" - a mounting pile of similar user issues will get someone's attention.

It's happening to me a lot in the past 2 hours.

Even when using the web interface.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:36 PM, Scott T. said:

This was during the normal weekly release we have. Shouldn't have lasted more than a few minutes. The web client should be saving in the background, so hopefully you wouldn't lost many changes. We actually have a team actively working on a solution which should eliminate the downtime we've always had with our weekly release of the web client and backend.

@Scott T. seriously?! is that how you treat paying customers? I don't want to lose ANY changes..

If you have a buggy version, don't use it in production, that's what beta channel is for...

I am also receiving the Syncing temporarily paused message in the Windows desktop version. It eventually goes but then comes back.

Also Android app version would not let me open a note that I had just created on the Android app a few minutes before.

• Ex Employees
23 hours ago, JoeHoe said:

seriously?! is that how you treat paying customers? I don't want to lose ANY changes..

If you have a buggy version, don't use it in production, that's what beta channel is for...

My comment was responding to others regarding statements of data lost. Changes are saved by the web client into local storage in the browser. If there is an interruption to the service, those changes are stored locally and will be synced back when the web client reconnects to the service. But you shouldn't see any interruption in the web client if it is already open. It's a single-page application that is running locally in the browser, so would continue to function. You would only see the "Evernote is temporarily unavailable" page if you happen to be trying to log in or load the web client during the maintenance window. Even still, as long as you aren't blowing away your browser cache, it should sync the changes next time you open the UI.

• Like 2

This is also happening to me on my Windows client today for hours. Closing and opening evernote does not fix the problem unfortunately. After some time it goes away but notes still not syncing properly to other devices :(

On 5/17/2023 at 12:59 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new -- for paying subscribers, but free users can subscribe for just one month to get support, then drop back to free.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, gazumped said:

Oddly I've been (mostly) trouble-free for the past few days.  Best advice is the usual "contact Support or feed it back" - a mounting pile of similar user issues will get someone's attention.

I tried to send the support request with a link to this topic, but they replied with clean install instructions after I sent all activity logs. I think the customer support didn't check the link.

Starting on May-17-2023, which was right after some update that promised great improvements, I started getting this on my ipad and mac. It made me afraid to use Evernote, because I figured I would lose all the data. The message lasted for 15-30 minutes, right during my meeting while I was taking notes. I haven't seen it the last 2 days, but I also reduced my evernote usage because of the fear. Very bad job, new Evernote owners!  🤮

Evernotesyncingpaused-Screenshot2023-05-17at3_33.08PMmay2023.thumb.png.503598900d87a5c1462870c6ad6b8256.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, mjevernote said:

I also reduced my evernote usage

Which bit of "you can continue editing while Evernote reconnects" did you have a problem with?  Have you lost any notes or the content of any note because of his?

I agree it's annoying that the display was jumping with each appearance and disappearance of that message,  but I've not seen it for a while now and things seem to have settled down...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JK_joe said:

I think the customer support didn't check the link.

If you're still getting the issue after a clean reinstall,  go back to Support under your existing ticket number.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, JK_joe said:

I tried to send the support request with a link to this topic, but they replied with clean install instructions after I sent all activity logs. I think the customer support didn't check the link

Yeah, first-level support can (sometimes) seem replaceable by AI. I've also sent links to forum threads which seem to go untouched. My guess is that since this is (hopefully) a temporary (but not as temporary as they hoped) glitch due to the new sync and RTE rollout, there's no fix they can or will offer other than waiting till it quits happening.

I have been constantly having this issue on my phone and it's now regularly causing me to lose content.  I'll be editing a note, and the new edits will disappear, I assume after a reconnect.  Later I will find them added back in, but by then I'll have added them a second time and the note is a mess.  This is super annoying and messing greatly with my workflow.

I am a big fan of Evernote and have been a paying customer for many years.  I hope this gets fixed quickly.

Reporting that this is happening to me today/now. I've had this message on the note I'm working on for the last 15 minutes.

image.thumb.png.8fe2b5eabf769addc5de5173670b2980.png Edit: After posting this, I clicked to another note, then back to this note. The message disappeared. So, maybe it reconnected but didn't remove the message???

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Which bit of "you can continue editing while Evernote reconnects" did you have a problem with?  Have you lost any notes or the content of any note because of his?

I agree it's annoying that the display was jumping with each appearance and disappearance of that message,  but I've not seen it for a while now and things seem to have settled down...

I lost content on my ipad on May-13-2023, even though I have been manually syncing every time I edit on the ipad, due to past lost data.

I didn't appear to lose content on May-17 when I got that message, but I was also constantly duplicating my note throughout the meeting, because I was so worried about evernote's reliability. I have been a paid user since 2014 and this unreliability and/or appearance of unreliability over the past 6 months is wearing very thin.

• Level 5

Syncing with RTE is not what it used to be before the rollout, which finished early May 2023.

If you experience problems, contact support from the same device where you had the problems. Attach the activity log (preselected on EN iOS).

Performance has seriously degraded over the past several releases ... web client, pc app and android app.  the last few days have been horrendous and still today!  I've gotten the "synching temporarily paused message" and as you move from note to note in the web client or pc app, it will say Saving.... in the status bar and can sit that way for many many minutes, even if nothing was changed.  Sometimes, it will take MINUTES for a note to appear on any of the web client, pc app or android.  And while earlier posts say that changes are safe, I did lose some note changes two nights ago.  Granted, performance was so horrible that I may have inadvertently cleared some cache in the hopes of rectifying the issue, but using evernote the past days has been intolerable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, TPS said:

Performance has seriously degraded over the past several releases ... web client, pc app and android app.  the last few days have been horrendous and still today!  I've gotten the "synching temporarily paused message" and as you move from note to note in the web client or pc app, it will say Saving.... in the status bar and can sit that way for many many minutes, even if nothing was changed.  Sometimes, it will take MINUTES for a note to appear on any of the web client, pc app or android.  And while earlier posts say that changes are safe, I did lose some note changes two nights ago.  Granted, performance was so horrible that I may have inadvertently cleared some cache in the hopes of rectifying the issue, but using evernote the past days has been intolerable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, eh007h said:

I have been constantly having this issue on my phone and it's now regularly causing me to lose content.  I'll be editing a note, and the new edits will disappear, I assume after a reconnect.  Later I will find them added back in, but by then I'll have added them a second time and the note is a mess.  This is super annoying and messing greatly with my workflow.

I am a big fan of Evernote and have been a paying customer for many years.  I hope this gets fixed quickly.

It seems that these experiences are no longer so widespread as when I started this thread 2 weeks ago, but do continue to occur to some. I myself just had a loss of newly added content on my phone (without a "temporarily paused" message, it just vanished when I hit the green check to save/sync); I was able to quickly re-create it on my laptop, but it was more than a little disconcerting.

At any rate, those who are still experiencing frequent issues should definitely report them to Support (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new). Be sure to include an activity log. With the new sync structure now well established, this should no longer be the norm.

I have a ticket open on performance for some time and have been adding to it the past few days, but no real response.  I am using the web client on my PC as we speak and staring at a "Saving..." in the bottom right corner of the window for many minutes.  It will eventually change to "All Changes Saved" but when you rely on you notes being in Sync across platforms, having it sit and think for elongated periods is problematic for note integrity.  PLEASE DO SOMETHING EVERNOTE!!!!  Message just changed ... >5 minutes and NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO ANY NOTES ... JUST VIEWING

I just updated to the 10.57.6 client that is now available. The sync message persists on Mac – had it appear 2x within 30 minutes. Each time it lasted 2 minutes or less. That's better than this morning when it was lasting 15 minutes or more (in 10.57.5). Reporting here in case 10.57.6 was supposed to clear this up.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

We are done. The web socket connections are much more stable according to our data. Old clients using the old note format place pretty heavy HTTP requests and we needed to isolate them on a separate component. This way updated clients that connect to RTE are not disturbed. If you’re on the latest version of the client you should not see this issue anymore (it might require a restart).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2023-05-30 - MacBook Air 2020, M1 chip, latest Ventura OS.

With or without "synching temporarily paused" warning, Evernote is losing edits and or reverting to earlier notes.

Sometimes the edited notes are retrievable from the note history -- but having to read each note to see if edits I made days ago -- e.g., to a table where I track our finances -- defeats the purpose of Evernote. And I have neither the time nor the will to read back through every note I edit every day to check if the edits "took."

Been a paid user since 2012 and have not had this issue before. It's a dealbreaker -- "maybe sometimes"-note isn't what I signed up for. 

Any thoughts on what's causing it and when will it be fixed?

Edited by raojenkins
clarification
  • 2 weeks later...

Seeing long periods of "Saving ..." on notes being browsed again today in Evernote Web.  No updates done.  Just browsing.  Anyone else seeing this again?  Federico?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, TPS said:

The issues were in fact both happening during the slowdown that Federico reported on

Not disputed,  but if there's not another thread already dealing with this specific issue,  then please start one to follow it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is happening more and more. I have been using Evernote since 2008, and I don't recall a time when I have lost data before now. I get up in the morning and notes I had been working on seem to have disappeared - not even saved locally. I'm getting a bit fed up, and I'm not seeing a benefit from the much higher cost.
Please fix this, and to really put a smile on may face, add a page-break facility too for printing (and fix pdf export, which is a mess). 
I don't want to leave Evernote, but I am moving in that direction ....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am receiving this message a lot -- "Syncing temporarily paused. You can continue editing while Evernote reconnects." And when it happens, it's quite a long pause (15 minutes or more).

I'm on the latest Mac OS desktop and the latest Evernote version.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, frpeter said:

Please fix this

Hi.  Fix what?  I understand that you're losing data,  but is it your system,  the sync process,  network traffic,  website delays or something else?  And since we don't know what device / OS or Evernote version you have,  it's a bit difficult for anyone to suggest fixes.  Please report your situation to Support and help them fix things for you.

These Forums are mainly user 2 user but subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and all users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps - feedback options are available too feedback@evernote.com

• 1 month later...

Hi, the "Syncing temporarily paused. You can continue editing while Evernote reconnects." is still and has been an issue for me for a very long time, +6 months.
Am on Windows 10 and everything is updated to the latest including Evernote app.

I am also experiencing extremely long start up times when starting Evernote. We are talking somewhere between a couple of minutes to half an hour, it seems to vary depending on the positions of the planets....
The startup issue has been with me for a long time as well.

Tried just now to log in to the web client but gave up due to the long waiting time, so it seems its duplicated to the web as well.

Any theories?

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Complicator said:

Any theories?

Hi.  Power your system off and back on / use Revo to uninstall and reinstall...?

Startup these days seems pretty instantaneous,  though the web app takes maybe 30 seconds to load,  and I see the "paused" message very occasionally...  if you're a subscriber,  have you contacted Support?

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Power your system off and back on / use Revo to uninstall and reinstall...?

Oh, I'm booting the laptop every day so that's not it. Unfortunately its a company laptop with restricted access to which apps to install so that isn't an open option for me.
But a clean reinstallation of Evernote could perhaps be the ticket...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Startup these days seems pretty instantaneous,  though the web app takes maybe 30 seconds to load,  and I see the "paused" message very occasionally...  if you're a subscriber,  have you contacted Support?

Yeah, it used to be vey quick and also without the "paused" message as well, those where the days.... ;)
I never use the web app but something is telling me that it shouldn't take 10 minutes to start. All I got was a spinning elephant...

No, I haven't been in touch with support about this, mostly due to lack of time/energy/laziness on my part. Hoping a fix would come along since the amount of new iterations that has been pushed out. Naïve, I know...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

"Temporarily paused syncing" is a clear indication of an unstable or severed internet connection. It may be the connection is there, but EN is not allowed to make the link, due to a firewall setting or similar.

Try if it appears if connected to a different network as well. You can use your phone for a temporary hotspot, or take the laptop to a place with an open WiFi, like your favorite coffee shop or a library.

On the web it depends on the complexity that it has to load, and the internet speed. Can be very fast, or take many seconds. Since it has no local database, it needs to wait until the content is available.

• Like 1

Ten days being a paid subscriber, two problems:

1) E-mail forwarding not working anymore (it was working during the trial period)

2) "Syncing temporarily paused" appearing frequently since yesterday.

10.62.5-mac-mas-public (20230928204806)
Editor: v176.13.0
Service: v1.74.5

When the app works, it's wonderful. But if basic elements don't work, it gets complicated... I almost 100% regretted paying for the whole year.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 12.04.02.png

58 minutes ago, mpassosbr said:

Ten days being a paid subscriber, two problems:

1) E-mail forwarding not working anymore (it was working during the trial period)

2) "Syncing temporarily paused" appearing frequently since yesterday.

10.62.5-mac-mas-public (20230928204806)
Editor: v176.13.0
Service: v1.74.5

When the app works, it's wonderful. But if basic elements don't work, it gets complicated... I almost 100% regretted paying for the whole year.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 12.04.02.png

I've had it frequently on my Windows client last days, and it's even permanent today. Is this a known problem on version 10.63.2  @Federico Simionato ?

• Evernote Expert

Issues like this, especially when it affects some users and not others, can be a routing problem on the Internet. I'm not seeing any sync issues so my route to Evernote is good. But traffic from another user in, say, Indonesia may well follow a different route and come up against a hop that is broken temporarily.

I'm seeing this message persistently. Have tried restarting app and the message remains. My wifi is running fine so it's not a connection issue. The app seems to be lagging and the message is obscuring the toolbar, which is pretty annoying.

I'm based in London, UK.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 12.01.47.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just posted in another thread: I get the message on the web client, but at the same time it is syncing and shows new notes created on another device.

So it seems it’s up, but doesn’t know himself.

Yep, noticed it too – although PDF syncing isn't working properly (at least from the MacBook to the iPad – I didn't check the web version).

But it's annoying the same way...

Yep, I'm in London and it's happening on my MacBook and my iMac - super frustrating. Also an email I sent some hours ago with an attachment hasn't shown up in my notes yet. 

Feels like Evernote keeps getting less and less useful. I really don't like the new search feature, for instance, for tags don't come up in the standard search.

13 minutes ago, ferol said:

Same problem here.... Slovakia

On 2 different places (home and office)

v.10 have problem with sync - Legacy working...

Of course, legacy keeps working because nobody is trying to "improve" it 😉

• Like 1
1 hora atrás, agsteele disse:

Issues like this, especially when it affects some users and not others, can be a routing problem on the Internet. I'm not seeing any sync issues so my route to Evernote is good. But traffic from another user in, say, Indonesia may well follow a different route and come up against a hop that is broken temporarily.

I'm from Brazil. Noticed this issue some days ago, and waited and prayed to be just a temporally issue... But it's appears not the case. 

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just posted in another thread: I get the message on the web client, but at the same time it is syncing and shows new notes created on another device.

So it seems it’s up, but doesn’t know himself.

Just checked mine. Nothing I've done on my other machine last 24 hours has synced to this one. Web client non-responsive. 

I just a quick test: created a note with TEST in desktop. Till now, it not visible in web or Android client, that means, the sync is really not going any further. And, maybe, If we close the client that note was created, we can loose everything... It's scare me!

What is the best strategy to change?

Now
EN costs will rise +40% for me next year
EN closing legacy Apps -> I search for stuff 70sec instead of 5sec
EN syncing unreliable

Transit 
EN set on basic: Two devices only -> on would be Web Client 
What other note platform is similar to EN? 
What new platform has a good export format? I don't want to be locked in?

4 minutos atrás, Angry disse:

What is the best strategy to change?

Now
EN costs will rise +40% for me next year
EN closing legacy Apps -> I search for stuff 70sec instead of 5sec
EN syncing unreliable

Transit 
EN set on basic: Two devices only -> on would be Web Client 
What other note platform is similar to EN? 
What new platform has a good export format? I don't want to be locked in?

Notion is a good alternative.

And there is some Python programs that export your Notes entirely.... 

I do it from time to time to avoid to lost my notes in any case. Who knows?

• Like 1