Interview Bending Spoons/Keep Productive

"Today when you create a new note on one device, it still takes a while to appear on the others, or on someone else’s device if you choose to share the note. There’s already a huge effort underway to solve this, and we intend to ship this metadata sync improvement in a few months."

Sounds fantastic, this and the UX of the mobile apps is my main concern with Evernote, the future looks pretty promising.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, johansan said:

"Today when you create a new note on one device, it still takes a while to appear on the others, or on someone else’s device if you choose to share the note. There’s already a huge effort underway to solve this, and we intend to ship this metadata sync improvement in a few months."

Sounds fantastic, this and the UX of the mobile apps is my main concern with Evernote, the future looks pretty promising.

Both Desktop & Mobile Apps are updated today  Desktop to v 10.56.9 & Mobile to v 10.50.4

Agree with the plan to focus on stability and sync first.

Regarding the future I particularly would be interested to understand what "note hierarchy" means. For me, the most missing feature is the ability to make in-note links to sections / anchors. Not sure if this is included into the thoughts aroubd "note hierarchy".

• Like 2
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, ghon said:

I particularly would be interested to understand what "note hierarchy" means

I believe Directory > Space > Stack > Notebook > Note is kind of skeuomorphic but does not really scale well in digital realms.

Notion only has the note entity (and the block), which is not necessarily the best way to organize notes IMO, but a proof that you just really need one entity.

But we need to think this through very well, and for now we're 90% on sync, reliability and performance. What's your opinion?

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Currently we have Note - Notebook. Stacks are a grouping of notebooks (so it is not a real hierarchy, it is derrivated from notebooks).

Spaces are a plain user access concept on Teams - has nothing to do with a hierarchy of notebooks. It just serves to organize access for a certain group of work processes. All notebooks needed to perform certain processes are grouped into a space, and then users get access to spaces based on their "need to know" status. The exchange between spaces is organized by notebooks that belong to both spaces.

Interesting to get a bit insight in Bending Spoons plans for Evenotes future. Focus seems to be almost totally on AI, so there is a couple of things that need more clarification:

Will this new "AI Note Cleanup" work for any language, or perhaps only for notes in english?

And another thing is if AI-stuff is included as a feature in Evernotes existing subscriptions, or something you have to pay an extra subscription for?

"Every user will have a month of access to try it out before the feature becomes available to paid subscribers only." This can be understood/interpreted in several ways.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
11 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

I believe Directory > Space > Stack > Notebook > Note is kind of skeuomorphic but does not really scale well in digital realms.

Notion only has the note entity (and the block), which is not necessarily the best way to organize notes IMO, but a proof that you just really need one entity.

But we need to think this through very well, and for now we're 90% on sync, reliability and performance. What's your opinion?

The idea of "Notebooks" is very much similar to "Folders" in Windows. And the "Note" kind of represents a particular file. It does take a while, to understand and work-around the idea of the limited "Stacks-> Notebook -> Note structure". This is where the powerful idea of "tags and infinite nestd tags comes in" for more and better organization and "info-retrieval" in Evernote. 

@Federico Simionato my humble request, irrespective of any changes that may be brought into "Note" level organization. i request you, not to deprecate the "functional role" of "Tags". Tags also always needs to have "king level" support in Evernote. 

"Sync" and performance has improved immensely on Mobile. Desktop could still do a bit better. 

• Like 1