Characters substituted for punctuations starting May 5

DrFrankBuck

Idea

Here is a short portion of a note. I happened to pull up this note to work with it today. Notice the (I guess ASCII) in place of what had been punctuations. Looking at the version history, it was like this on May 5th. Below, you see the same text as it appeared in the May 4 version history. Not sure how widespread it is.

How Can I Take the Book Study?
After registering in PowerSchool, grab a copy of the book. You can order from the publisher. Enter coupon code IRK69 for a 20% discount. You can also order the book from Amazon.

Then, sign up for the course. The course is being hosted on Thinkific. You can pay with a credit card there. The online course will walk you through the entire book. Along the way, you will find exercises and quizzes. You can even share photos of what you have implemented…like a picture of your desk once you have established your Tickler File.

So What’s the Cost?
The cost of the book study is $97. In addition, each person is responsible for securing a copy of the book.

Here is what that same section looked like on May 4:
How Can I Take the Book Study?
After registering in PowerSchool, grab a copy of the book. You can order from the publisher. Enter coupon code IRK69 for a 20% discount. You can also order the book from Amazon.

Then, sign up for the course. The course is being hosted on Thinkific. You can pay with a credit card there. The online course will walk you through the entire book. Along the way, you will find exercises and quizzes. You can even share photos of what you have implemented…like a picture of your desk once you have established your Tickler File.

So What’s the Cost?
The cost of the book study is $97. In addition, each person is responsible for securing a copy of the book.

2 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

There is a similar issue being reported for notes created on mobile devices with non English keyboards. Some Unicode characters are not rendered correctly.

• Level 5

Actually, what I've seen (but I don't monitor every forum!) is that notes created with widgets, or quick-notes, written in non-Roman-alphabet languages (Arabic, Russian, Chinese) are entirely converted to number/symbol codes. This has been reported multiple times to support, and they are supposedly on it diligently.

The occasional appearance of codes that @DrFrankBuck is reporting looks like something different. I see 2 circumstances involved. (1) Non-standard characters like a smart quote in "What's" and an ellipsis ... character. ("The cost of the book study is $97.&#xa" is probably also an instance of this, though more surprising. Also much funnier.) (2) The initial boundary of a Web link. In both cases there's probably some underlying HTML being misread. But the fact that it was read properly on May 4 and misread/misinterpreted May 5 is noteworthy. I wonder if something hiccupped in the course of conversion to the new sync system. I would definitely contact Support about this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• Like 2