Jump to content

Using initial words in Tasks as tags or labels, priority levels, next action designation


Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking of leaving Todoist to go all-in with Evernote Tasks but want to bring certain conventional task identifiers along with me. The line describing the EN task has great flexibility: you can put task feature abbreviations at the front of the task, and links and descriptions at the end. So I'm coming to use capital P or capital A dash, followed by, no space, a word for the Area or Project I'm dealing with. E.g. A-Do_French_Lessons, P-Wax_floors. This is like a tag, not always needed but useful at times. Whether or not you use the A or P "tag", you can them type Pri1 or Pri2 or Pri3 to signal priority levels. Another possible addition is NextAction. So a full example is <P-Wax_floors | Pri1 | NextAction> then, after a few spaces, you type the Task itself.  It looks OK, and has the virtue of loosening up Evernote's restrictive visualization of EN Tasks on present dates. Open your EN Tasks, then type Pri1 and/or NextAction. There's your workday, in GTD style.

Link to comment
  • Level 5*

I also jumped ship from Todoist to Evernote tasks.  I wasn’t a heavy user of all the Todoist features so it was a pretty easy transition for me.  I do enjoy paying for one less software subscription.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Solution

I use $ as a prefix for all my "task tags" which works well. I also use emojis for things like priority

image.png.0c109775dcd91096d7fff339f9dbb690.png

I have hotstrings for red, amber and green circles in AutoHotKey to make it even easier. 

..r = 🔴
..a = 🟠
..g = 🟢
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another option : use fictional email address , line next@gmail.com / onhold@gmail.com / etc to « assign «  the task . On the assigned to tab , they will be groupped and easier to find 

 

Not ideal but practical 

Link to comment

What value would this have, Claudiofpiga, for an individual creator who's not sending tasks around to others? Is your thought that this is a way of putting a particular emphasis on certain tasks, which can take on special meaning for you because they're sequestered in the Assign section? If true, then your examples were just put forward as arbitrary entry tickets to the special space that is under the Assign tab. Sounds kind of interesting for very special projects. Thanks.

Am using more emojis because of the ideas of this thread.

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 5/7/2023 at 6:23 PM, Mike P said:

I use $ as a prefix for all my "task tags" which works well. I also use emojis for things like priority

image.png.0c109775dcd91096d7fff339f9dbb690.png

I have hotstrings for red, amber and green circles in AutoHotKey to make it even easier. 

..r = 🔴
..a = 🟠
..g = 🟢

Hi @Mike P  I am intrigued by your Task tagging, as I have not been able to solve this issue for my way of working.   I would like to give my tasks an individual context, that is not note-dependent.  Then I would like to be able to search based on these 'context markers'.  The problem is you can not put Evernote Tags in a Task, and you cannot search for special characters (or emojis) as far as I know. 

You mention you use $ as a prefix for your Task Tags, plus you use emojis.  Are you able to search on these somehow?   Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Grant837 said:

Hi @Mike P  I am intrigued by your Task tagging, as I have not been able to solve this issue for my way of working.   I would like to give my tasks an individual context, that is not note-dependent.  Then I would like to be able to search based on these 'context markers'.  The problem is you can not put Evernote Tags in a Task, and you cannot search for special characters (or emojis) as far as I know. 

You mention you use $ as a prefix for your Task Tags, plus you use emojis.  Are you able to search on these somehow?   Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

The issue of tags in notes has been commented on in depth elsewhere. I think the two best options are

  • incude "tag like" phrases in the text of the task preceded by a paticular character or emoji to reduce the chances of false positives when you search. You can then search for these phrases in the task search box. I have had no difficulty searching for emojis or special characters  in tasks.

image.png.482d54c9e284c3862bc4d829fa7ca3be.png

  • The other option is just to have one task per note. You can then use the entire EN organisation system to find tasks including the tagging system, notebooks and advanced search. There is a filter (or advanced search syntax) to find only those notes that contain tasks.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

@Mike PWell, I'll be d*mned!  Evernote will not search on special characters when searching Notes, but does find them when searching Tasks! 

I would have never dreamed they would have an inconsistency like this..... 😉

Thank you very much for this, really!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

Evernote will not search on special characters when searching Notes, but does find them when searching Tasks! 

I have found searching for special characters and emojis generally inconsistent across EN. I have examples for tags where different methods of search either ignore them or use them! The weirdest of all is the use of emojis in the title. See 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I have found searching for special characters and emojis generally inconsistent across EN. I have examples for tags where different methods of search either ignore them or use them! The weirdest of all is the use of emojis in the title. See 

Wow, emojis to the rescue!  At least on the Windows platform, they are seen as text, so you can search on them in both Task Search and Notes Search. 

I know it requires some extra keystrokes to insert them, so it's not perfect, but it's good enough for my situation I hope.  Maybe AutoHotKey will help too...

If you combine the emoji with some text, you can search for the exact combination by putting the combination in Quotes when using Notes Search.  It's not necessary to use quotes when searching in Tasks Search.

You can also search for Notes containing Tasks with the emoji-text combination in the Notes Search: contains:taskNotCompleted AND 🪵Wood

Since I have a system from Obsidian where I used emojis to pre-fix all my tags (I have maybe 20 categories of task for Notes, of which I use 4 with Tasks, this may resolve my desire to find Tasks based on Tags instead of the Note they are contained it.  So I can now add single misc. tasks to my general Daily Note, give it some tags, and I can always find it back when I am working in some particular (GTD type) context or misc. topic. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

Maybe AutoHotKey will help too...

I have some of my key emojis set up as hotstrings. So typing ..r inserts a 🔴 . Same system for amber and green.

The code is really simple - you just need to find the unicode code on the web

::..r::{U+1F534}

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...