Woah - that new sync!

31 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Finally got the new sync this morning - been testing it, it works fantastically well! Immediate sync now from phone, tested typing on my phone and could see it appearing as I write now on the desktop app.  Tested tasks which would never sync fully for me - also immediate.  This is a massive step forward! We (I!) are quick to say where things are not great, good to recognise where there is good progress too.  

what kind of mobile do you use?

48 minutes ago, eric99 said:

what kind of mobile do you use?

I have an iphone 13, instant on that, tried my ipad too, the same, instant appearance of text on my windows app that was entered on both phone and ipad.  Before there was no chance of this happening.  Same with tasks, they never synced properly, ever. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I got the new sync yesterday evening. I've tested by having the same note open in my Android phone (see details below), the desktop app on a Windows 10 laptop, and in the Web client on a desktop Windows PC. Typing on one device I saw the words appear on the others almost simultaneously. They appeared on the phone even when it was not in edit mode. I did have to reposition the cursor in each device when I began to type there, naturally enough. Overall, it was truly amazing. Now I just need to pick a cool avatar.

[EDIT: Pasting in even a small image seems to take far, far longer to sync. Waiting 5 minutes or more for it to show up on other devices, still nothing.]

Granted, I'm in an area in the U.S. with excellent connectivity. The tale in more remote areas remains to be told. I appreciate hearing @WilliamL's report on things that had failed to sync before now working properly, and I hope others will post about their experiences with such things, especially people who have experienced note conflicts and complete failures to sync, and especially in places with inconsistent Internet.

The question is, what to do with this ability, other than amaze myself? It's not something that I'm actually likely to need very often. (I work alone. I don't even share household notes with my wife, who is not on Evernote.) But it's great to know that if for some reason I need to do this, I can. For instance, it's easier to type on my laptop and to scan books or articles using the Text Fairy OCR app on my phone. Being able to scan on the phone and then make any necessary corrections on the laptop in the same minute feels like a game-changer.

So I'd love to hear reports from others about how they are or expect to be putting this to practical use.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The question is, what to do with this ability, other than amaze myself?

I don't collaborate with others using Evernote (I use a different tool for that), but I might be more prone to edit the same note on multiple devices at the same time now (as I won't have to worry about conflicts as much) and I suspect that there are many that will be in this same boat.

Mostly though, I hope there really was/is a huge improvement to the underlying syncing mechanism as Ian stated last year in his blog -- "And most importantly, over the course of 2022, we will complete our multi-year journey to a more reliable, faster, and more modern sync architecture—the very backbone of the Evernote experience." (https://evernote.com/blog/ceo-update-january-2022/).

Regardless if you need collaborative/multi editing or not, hopefully there are now just less note change conflicts and duplication in general.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, buckethead said:

I just checked and it is not working for me - using latest update on iPhone and Mac app store version. I ended up with a couple of conflicts trying to check it out.

Are you seeing multiple cursors yet, with your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the note window? I don't believe it has rolled out to everybody yet. May 5th is the date that I've been seeing for the full roll-out to be complete.

It was enabled on my account just yesterday, but I know some got it a couple of days before that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Are you seeing multiple cursors yet, with your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the note window? I don't believe it has rolled out to everybody yet. May 5th is the date that I've been seeing.

Nope. For some reason I thought today was the everyone date. Will check again in a few days.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The question is, what to do with this ability, other than amaze myself?

For me I can properly use Evernote now without feeling I need to either handhold it through sync or battle to make it sync (my issues have been more than others, I wonder if it’s because I’m in the uk…no idea). So now I can quickly write notes without worrying about data, if I have an idea for my sermon - go in write it down without worry etc. 

Another core thing is I can really start using tasks which i was so hesitant to before. The ability to create tasks in notes is so handy for how my mind works, but up to now it’s been a real hassle to get them syncing. That’s two of the biggies for me. I don’t really share notes or that  

• Like 2

I successfully smoke tested the RTE sync on my 4 year old samsung A50, on my windows client and on the web client.

The results are really impressive ! 

All race condition bugs and deadlocks are history (so far)

Images are stored much faster (factor 10)

Collaborative editing is real time indeed, even on my old A50 phone with 4Gb ram

It seems that the life of my 4 year old phone can now be extended by several years 🙂

The EN developers have now fully regained control over the sync and performance issues 👍👍 

I will do more thoroughly testing and keep you informed...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
39 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Images are stored much faster (factor 10)

I'm having a different experience. To test, I pasted 2 small screen clip images (call them A and B) into the same note, pasting A in the Web client and B in the v. 10 Windows app on a different computer. I checked on both of those devices and on an Android phone, and in the Legacy Windows program. Results, after waiting over 2 hours:

Evernote client

Image A

Image B

Web client

pasted in

loaded

Windows app

not loaded

pasted in

Android app

not loaded

loaded

Legacy Win app

not loaded

loaded

So for me, the v. 10 Windows app has not displayed an image that was not pasted into it (even after 2 forced reloads), but an image pasted into it displays everywhere else; an image pasted into the Web client did not appear anywhere else; but the Web client did display (after some time) an image pasted in elsewhere. In place of images not loaded, the v. 10 apps all show the spinning blue circle. Hopefully this sort of thing will improve over time as the new system settles in.

Update on what I posted: I noticed you use the word pasted instead of inserted an image.

My demo uses the insert image link behind the blue button so I just tested copy and pasting an image from my web browser to EN Windows and it appeared instantly on my phone with the image title updating in 16 seconds.

Try the log out log in thing to see if it helps.

36 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm having a different experience. To test, I pasted 2 small screen clip images (call them A and B) into the same note, pasting A in the Web client and B in the v. 10 Windows app on a different computer. I checked on both of those devices and on an Android phone, and in the Legacy Windows program. Results, after waiting over 2 hours:

Evernote client

Image A

Image B

Web client

pasted in

loaded

Windows app

not loaded

pasted in

Android app

not loaded

loaded

Legacy Win app

not loaded

loaded

So for me, the v. 10 Windows app has not displayed an image that was not pasted into it (even after 2 forced reloads), but an image pasted into it displays everywhere else; an image pasted into the Web client did not appear anywhere else; but the Web client did display (after some time) an image pasted in elsewhere. In place of images not loaded, the v. 10 apps all show the spinning blue circle. Hopefully this sort of thing will improve over time as the new system settles in.

When I said, images are stored much faster, I meant camera pictures appear much faster in my editor. Before it took more than 10 seconds to even see it in my editor.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Evernote client

Image A

Image B

Web client

pasted in

loaded

Windows app

not loaded

pasted in

Android app

not loaded

loaded

Legacy Win app

not loaded

loaded

I think I've seen something like this in the Windows client, a spinning blue circle for a long time. I've noticed that if you close the note and reopen it, everything syncs immediately. This is indeed something that could be improved...

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I think I've seen something like this in the Windows client, a spinning blue circle for a long time. I've noticed that if you close the note and reopen it, everything syncs immediately. This is indeed something that could be improved...

Guess I was trying brute force, to keep the note open and see if the images would sync. And later I found that, as a result of all this, I ended up with note conflicts and 3 different versions of the note. Not hard to deal with. So at this point is possible to make it break, but keeping a note open indefinitely may be part of the problem.

• Like 1

In the meantime I did some more successful tests on my old A50 phone. Even on that phone, the evernote client is now fast and reliable enough to take small notes on the go, which is one of my main use cases 🙂

• Like 3

Just installed both Windows PC and MacOS new versions, the difference is huge !

Real time sync between my office computer and laptop, I never saw Evernote syncing so fast.

Now, question for @Federico Simionato what about the iOS apps ?
Syncing to iPad/iPhone is still slow as the iOS apps do not refresh like PC/Mac apps.
It might have to see with iOS sync ?

Do you plan a new iOS app also, coming soon ?

Thanks for your answer.

1 hour ago, Jean-Christophe said:

Now, question for @Federico Simionato what about the iOS apps ?
Syncing to iPad/iPhone is still slow as the iOS apps do not refresh like PC/Mac apps.
It might have to see with iOS sync ?

Hi, I am not sure if you are fully on the new system yet...Federico will be able to answer properly....

My experience of the new sync is that iOS is instant too, I can type on my phone and see it appear both on windows app and iPad too, its all instant now, so I think there is more to come for you.

6 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Hi, I am not sure if you are fully on the new system yet...Federico will be able to answer properly....

My experience of the new sync is that iOS is instant too, I can type on my phone and see it appear both on windows app and iPad too, its all instant now, so I think there is more to come for you.

Just tried again, and now iOS app sends changes immediately too, without updating the app.
I guess there was a background change on my account in the meantime as said previously by Federico.

Anyway, this is really fine.
My main concern, as a solo user, was to get my notes on iOS very fast when they have been created/updated on computers and the other way round.
Looks like this issue is solved.

44 minutes ago, Jean-Christophe said:

Anyway, this is really fine.
My main concern, as a solo user, was to get my notes on iOS very fast when they have been created/updated on computers and the other way round.
Looks like this issue is solved.

Yeah, same here.  Sync seems to be working great now, including with tasks, which i can finally use now! Was apprehensive to before as they would never sync reliably.  

• Level 5

Yes, the new sync is already build into the clients. It takes a redo on the server, however. So it is a staged rollout: Once the server handling the individual user is switched over, new sync is immediately active.

• Level 5

It happens all on the server.

Install the latest iOS app (10.50 is the latest). Once your server is switched over, new sync is there. EN said they want to finish the migration for all users until 5th of May.

wow, this is amazing! Instantaneous sync, and no more note conflicts! 

I work on Evernote all day, across 3 or 4 devices, so this is excellent. Note conflicts were a real issue, and being able to see live edits from other platforms is great. I don't use Evernote teams but I would imagine that this really facilitates team-working in Evernote as well.

Having reliable, instant sync is just great. Particularly for tasks - WilliamL mentioned that this was a particular issue, I had this problem too, but now seems to be banished with this update.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Collaborative editing is not just for Teams users. It is a gift for all shared notes as well.

A practical example: My wife and me share notebooks with recipes. It is not unusual that we are cooking together, and add tricks & tips while we do. We avoided to do it on 2 devices. Now we can use our own iPad each, and have the same note open, editing it simultaneously. Not a big issue maybe, but I am sure others have much larger use cases that will benefit.

Professional with its extended sharing capabilities feels feature upgraded by it for sure, like Teams.

• Like 4

I evidently don't have the new sync because my Evernote web is running like a pig. All morning I've been updating multiple notes and the changes don't seem to be being captured by the web page. For example if I change a note it would normally move to the top of the page as the most recently updated. Now it doesn't and if I refresh the page it loses the most recent changes, even though the note says that changes were saved.

• Level 5

You can check by opening the same note on 2 (or for my picture 3) devices. When the avatar pictures appear, new sync is on. I tried explicitly on the web client, and took the picture there.

If not, make sure you are using the current version of the web client. There is still a setting that keeps it on the "classical" editor, stopping it from using all new features. You find it in Account Information, Account Overview, Evernote Web. If you are already on the new versions, and it does not work, contact support.

image.png.20e52316816f090b97c2738161d00a75.png

On 5/3/2023 at 8:08 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Exactly, this is the point behind RTE sync:

Keep your clients up to date!

Compliments! Really nice! Does it also do a faster initial sync when (re)installing? That takes over a week for me. Or is that still the old mechanism?

It bodes well for future dev and features! I would LOVE to have Microsoft Loop like synced sections in notes, or what Notion does with the synced sections. Then I would GLADLY pay twice the price I pay right now after the price increase.  😊😄😸

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MvdH said:

Then I would GLADLY pay twice the price I pay right now after the price increase. 

Woah … ease up there cowboy.  We don’t want to give them any ideas.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, Mr Pingouino said:

The new sync seems fantastic but it seems I had difficulties with image now showing up after a while or even tasks disapearing...

I've seen this too, esp. in the Android app with images added to notes in other clients. Others report that a workaround is to go to another note and the back to the note with the image, at which point the image shows up--that does work for me.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 11:01 AM, buckethead said:

I just checked and it is not working for me - using latest update on iPhone and Mac app store version. I ended up with a couple of conflicts trying to check it out.

I just lost 4 paragraphs worth of writing this morning after my up to date desktop app on my laptop wouldn't sync until the next afternoon, at which point it synced my desktop app with what appeared to be a priority on the data saved on evernote's servers, so poof writing gone and no way to recover it, as the cool "note history" feature is only saving online copies of your notes automatically, so it's not super useful if you're a paying user who has to work offline for any periods of time (or encounters a bug like this in their system, as you can't "undo" evernote syncing your data incorrectly and wiping out work).

So not super pumped about that, and rethinking my need for a subscription because losing 4-5 paragraphs while highly annoying could of been way worse had I been more productive last night and gotten more done.

I am assuming that it is still normal to not have an actual "sync" button on the win desktop v10?  I agree that sync from iphone to desktop is very rapid but EN legacy used to have an actual sync button.  Just wondering if the people who are posting on very rapid sync experience are talking about how rapidly it appears on their desktop from their phones, or if they are seeing an actual sync button on their desktops which they are using to initiate that sync from the phone.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, idoc said:

I am assuming that it is still normal to not have an actual "sync" button on the win desktop v10?  I agree that sync from iphone to desktop is very rapid but EN legacy used to have an actual sync button.  Just wondering if the people who are posting on very rapid sync experience are talking about how rapidly it appears on their desktop from their phones, or if they are seeing an actual sync button on their desktops which they are using to initiate that sync from the phone.

As a certain pachyderm has pointed out before, the new sync at its best happens faster than you could reach to click a sync button anyway. A sync button is not needed any more than an electric car needs a hand crank. If you absolutely have to add some duck tape to your belt and suspenders, you can always press Ctrl/Cmd + R.