(Archived) Endless updates

I like Evernote fine, but something has bugged me since the beginning that seems only to be getting worse: The endless software updates.

In theory the value of the product lies in its ease of use -- open program, jot down a note, hit return, and you're back to what you'd been doing.

In practice, though, it is almost always instead: Open program, there's an update, install? Yes. Download. Relaunch? Yes. Enter note. Return. I guess you can enter the note first, but those other steps will still await. It's not an insurmountable hassle, but it is suddenly more steps than just jotting down a note in Word.

It seems like whomever is in charge of this process has OCD and just! can't! stand it! when there's a niggling bug. Personally, while I appreciate new features as much as the next guy, limiting updates to once every week (or two!) would be much less annoying.

Anyone else? Just me? As you were.

• Level 5

Anyone else? Just me? As you were.

I'd say it is just you.

Nothing wrong with progress.

If it really bugs you, then don't accept the upgrades.

And it the upgrade reminders bug you, then stick with WordStar or DOS

And it the upgrade reminders bug you, then stick with WordStar or DOS

Or, if you just prefer that the program act like most commercial (i.e., not nagware) software apps, you can go to Tools | Options and uncheck the option "check for updates at startup." This should stop the reminders. You can still manually check for updates, if you want to, by going to Help | Check for Updates.

• Level 5*
I like Evernote fine, but something has bugged me since the beginning that seems only to be getting worse: The endless

I guess the main question would be: which Evernote client are you using? (helps narrow things down) And a second: are you running a pre-release version? If you're running a pre-release/beta version, you're going to get a lot more update notices than with a release version.

Another thing to check is whether you're actually being updated; i.e., is the version you're updating to the same as the one you're updating from? A bug could be the cause of that, rather than an endless stream of actual updates.

~Jeff

It seems like whomever is in charge of this process has OCD and just! can't! stand it! when there's a niggling bug. Personally, while I appreciate new features as much as the next guy, limiting updates to once every week (or two!) would be much less annoying.

Wow...that's like the first time I've ever heard of anyone complaining b/c things are being fixed & added & updated too much. :lol:

If you're using the Windows non-beta version, IIRC, they were doing updates only once a week. As someone else said, you don't have to accept the update. Just say no.

Archived