un-shared notebooks still showing up in list

superpenguin

Idea

After an ex and I broke up, he removed permissions for me to view a couple of notebooks he had shared with me (totally warranted, no hard feelings) but they continue to show up on my list of notebooks. I can't actually open the notebook or view any of the notes, just see the title. When I click on the "more actions" dots when viewing the notebook list on my browser, the options are all grayed out so I'm unable to delete it from my list. I'd really like to not see these notebook titles every time I use the app. Is there another way to make them disappear from my notebook list?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I don't have experience with this myself, but there have been many reports here of shared items persisting in people's accounts long after they and the sharer have parted ways (for whatever reason). This is unfortunately a built-in flaw in the Evernote structure. Someone with more experience will have to give a more accurate answer, but from my limited knowledge I believe there are two possible solutions. (1) If you are still on good enough terms with your ex, you could ask him to manage this on his end--he may have to delete or rename the items or something, and may have to re-share and then un-share them again (this is where my knowledge is too fuzzy to be very useful). (2) If that's too much to go through, you might try creating a new stack with an emotionally suitable name, and moving the notebooks into it--if you can, but it sounds like you may not be able to.

Very likely this will take some negotiating with the ex. Worst case scenario, you can create an entirely new Evernote account, move all of your stuff over to it, and close out the existing one. If I were teaching a law or therapy class on relationships and how to end them, I would include this subject. I'm sure you're not the only one this has happened to.

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About which client are you talking ?

Or do they show up on all clients, independent from the platform ?

I use the desktop version (Windows) and the Android app and they show up on both.

7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I don't have experience with this myself, but there have been many reports here of shared items persisting in people's accounts long after they and the sharer have parted ways (for whatever reason). This is unfortunately a built-in flaw in the Evernote structure. Someone with more experience will have to give a more accurate answer, but from my limited knowledge I believe there are two possible solutions. (1) If you are still on good enough terms with your ex, you could ask him to manage this on his end--he may have to delete or rename the items or something, and may have to re-share and then un-share them again (this is where my knowledge is too fuzzy to be very useful). (2) If that's too much to go through, you might try creating a new stack with an emotionally suitable name, and moving the notebooks into it--if you can, but it sounds like you may not be able to.

Very likely this will take some negotiating with the ex. Worst case scenario, you can create an entirely new Evernote account, move all of your stuff over to it, and close out the existing one. If I were teaching a law or therapy class on relationships and how to end them, I would include this subject. I'm sure you're not the only one this has happened to.

Thanks for this info. The ex and I are on decent terms, so if I feel like spending the bandwidth at some point I can have him mess around with things from his end and see if it does any good. Just a bit of a hassle to have to do it for something that you'd think would be automatic!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There are 2 options here:

The notebooks were properly unshared. Then a logout from the account on each client, and login again should solve the problem.

The notebooks were not unshared, but simply deleted by their owner. Then the shared copies are „orphaned“. AFAIK there is no easy way to remove them. The owner has no more access, and the receiver can’t delete them on his account.

Just FYI - case your Ex can’t do a thing, maybe he is right. No need to start a fight about it.

In this case it would indeed be the best option to start a new account, and move the notebooks you want to keep by exporting them via ENEX. Then close and delete the old account.