Spelling autocorrect feature

Tom9417

Idea

Hi - I've stayed on EN Legacy for the past 2-3 years because of the lack of spelling auto-correct on EN standard (or whatever your call it) without having to right-click misspelled words - my spelling and typing isn't the best at times, esp when I'm free thinking - I'm now in the position where I find I have to move off Legacy as your support appears to be reducing but am re-experiencing the same frustration I did 2-3 years ago with supported EN. 

My question is simple - will EN offer auto-correct on your supported EN and if so when? Thanks 

• Like 3

14 replies to this idea

Oy, Pink Elephant, people are just expressing their frustrations. I, too, have depended on the autocorrect. The removal of this function is glaring. MS Word and GoogleDocs both offer it. I understand why it would drive some people crazy, but Evernote should continue to offer it with a straightforward way to toggle it off and on, depending on users' needs. And those of us who used the program to make rapid notes - like I do when I conduct teacher observations - really do need it. Otherwise, we need to go back to the document and meticulously correct each word w/the red squiggly line. It makes the program close to useless for those of us with this need. It should not be that difficult for the company to bring back functionality that is the norm elsewhere - and which is built into the Mac OS .

I think what triggered some forum members here is intimating it's a "blessing" in general when that is not the case for all. I think that's what seemed sarcastic. Just saying. 

Anyway, here is my question - I keep getting the notice re a revised version of Legacy Evernote. I don't want to install the update until I'm sure it hasn't dropped autocorrect and put me back to square one...

Just to add, Evernote's reputation has been deteriorating because of its lack of response to users' needs. I have been a paid "premium" user for years but would jump ship if there were a suitable alternative that would allow me to migrate years of notes. I know that the company has been bought out. I hope that this brings an improvement. 

I've written directly to Evernote support, BTW, but have not received any answers to my questions. 

I agree with Tom, emtothegee and curry.jm - who summarizes our disappointment well.

...correct each word w/the red squiggly line. It makes the program close to useless for those of us with this need. It should not be that difficult for the company to bring back functionality that is the norm elsewhere...

offer it with a straightforward way to toggle it off and on, depending on users' needs.

Frankly, there's no excuse not to.

EN is technically a mature app that somehow continues to neglect user's needs like an amateur.  

I've no idea if you work for EN but contempt and sarcasm isn't an acceptable way to react to anyone let alone a customer whose been EN Premium for nearly 10 years. 

Can someone (else) from EN who will take this question seriously please reply - thanks 

• Level 5

The forum is user 2 user, and we spend time here to help other users. In this case your question was answered, 2 times, which has nothing to do with sarcasm. Talking about a lack of respect and gratefulness to others dedicating time and effort here is another question.

If you don't want it, I'm out, good luck. EN staff is seldom in the forum, and they 99% don't react to any posting here.

You could have used forum search as well, this question has been posted and answered before. But too much effort, I understand. Hard life ...

Since you have access since 10 years, you surely know how to reach support.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:07 AM, Tom9417 said:

Hi - I've stayed on EN Legacy for the past 2-3 years because of the lack of spelling auto-correct on EN standard (or whatever your call it) without having to right-click misspelled words - my spelling and typing isn't the best at times, esp when I'm free thinking - I'm now in the position where I find I have to move off Legacy as your support appears to be reducing but am re-experiencing the same frustration I did 2-3 years ago with supported EN. 

My question is simple - will EN offer auto-correct on your supported EN and if so when? Thanks 

Just here to concur with your frustration about the lack of auto-correct -- I assumed after the redesign that it would be added back in, and I'm surprised and disappointed that it hasn't been. I check the forum every once in a while to see if there's any indication that it will be restored, and I ping them occasionally to request it. Based on your post, which I saw as I made one of my check-ins today, I resorted to sending a support request asking about their plans for it. I'm a long-time premium client and a devoted Evernote user, but my devotion is waning without auto-correct and with alternative products showing up regularly that include it — alongside most or all of the same functionality offered by Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN uses what the OS does, with limits. They need to code any interaction between app and OS level.

So spell checking exists, and even has a setting to turn it on or off, autocorrection does not.

You can contact support, or send feedback if it is important for you.

Following up on the post I made yesterday -- I heard back from Evernote support and they suggested, as was also mentioned here, to send this request as feedback, as follows: 

• On Mac and Windows: Go to Help > Share Feedback in the menu bar.
  • On iOS and Android: Tap the three lines in the bottom left corner > Send feedback from the navigation menu.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I've done this sporadically since late 2020 -- sending a support request was my way of escalating. Based on the reply I received, I don't have the impression that this is a priority or likely to be reintroduced as a product feature any time soon, if at all. 😔

• Evernote Expert

It isn't a revised version of Legacy. It is a revised version ie v10

You probably won't like it but you may need to make your peace with it or make a plan for the future when Legacy ends.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, curry.jm said:

Sorry - I think I buried my question. Has anyone tried the revised version of Evernote Legacy and found out whether it enables autocorrect? Thanks!!!

The updating information in the legacy clients is not very clearly worded. If you pull the option, you will be updated straight to the most recent version of EN v10.

Legacy will never get any update again - it will die in his boots.