Random note widget in mobile (android) home screen

LuckyPressure

Idea

The widgets in the homescreen are pretty cool but I never made much use of them. One widget I would personally really like is a widget that shows you a random not from all or some notebooks with a refresh button to show a different one.

Waddayasay?

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You can quite easily simulate this by a saved search, for a date.

Enter a random date, and you get a random note.

You can refine this, for example by getting a random note that is not tagged. Or that holds a pdf, a web clip, a picture.

Not as clickable as a randomized note selector behind a button, but it works, and is available.

• Evernote Expert

I don't see this suggestion ever being adopted. It really feels, to me, to be too niche in its application.

I'd be very disappointed if I thought time was being devoted to this before some of the more significant issues that remain outstanding.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

It isn't about cost. It is about time. Take away a dev to develop this widget and he/she isn't available to work on the long standing issues. By all means, let there be many more niche features once the core stuff is fully working.

I will maintain that this is niche. But perhaps I'll be proven wrong when the suggestion gets votes to support it.

• Level 5

No serious dev will have an intern develop stuff like that, and then release it onto their unsuspecting users.

EN has done a superb job in keeping a constant update pipeline, including QA (with little slip) and documentation.

It is no intern work you would allow to mess this up. The request in my personal opinion is just a frivolous gimmick without a use case for most users. Or in other words: This is the stuff to bloat a code base without generating a user benefit.

Any serious product owner will remove it from the backlog.

The terms 'bloated codebase' and 'widget' do not mix my friend... The terms 'widget' and 'frivolous gimmick' (<- ❤️) however do mix very well. Letting an intern work on a well defined subdomain with restricted kernel access is ofcourse, from a business perspective, the ideal way to let that intern become familiar with the api's and interfaces... I will desist from refuting these unfounded weak objections now, jeesh...

• Level 5

Everybody here can post an opinion. You have asked, and you got mine. You must not like it, it is plain subjective.

Objective is that every feature adds complexity, both to the code base and to the UI. This is why features usually are only added when it benefits a significant part of the users.

Personally I doubt this is the case here - which again is plain subjective.

• Like 2