• Level 5

I just got the update to Windows app v. 10.55.2, and the release notes report:

We are focused on strengthening the foundations of Evernote across all platforms.

This update includes some important bug fixes and performance improvements.

We popped the hood on the app, changed the oil, cleaned the spark plugs, and replaced the air filter (even though we're sure it still had plenty of life left in it). So things should be humming along even smoother now.

Ha ha, cute. So does anybody here have any insights into what this elaborate metaphor actually means? Is this the (or the beginning of the) long-awaited sync revision? Or what?

• Evernote Expert

This is the standard of writing for many, many, many mobile applications these days. An attempt at jollity which tells those interested nothing useful.

Now that I have joined the ranks of grumpy old men I just moved on.

As for the longed for sync updates, I hear that there's been progress.

• Like 2

I quite like it. More readable than a Microsoft changelog! 

I think the important line is "We are focused on strengthening the foundations of Evernote across all platforms." which is nice to hear.

35 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I quite like it. More readable than a Microsoft changelog! 

Yep - but why not offering both? The nice version with the product and the in-depth version with an announcement here in the forums?

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

with an announcement here in the forums

It would be nice to go back to having announcements in the forums. I was surprised recently to be told by support that I was not running the most upto date version. The auto-update process obviously hadn't got round to me yet. In the past I manually updated as soon as I saw the forum announcement.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Yep - but why not offering both? The nice version with the product and the in-depth version with an announcement here in the forums?

Yeah. Would be nice to see that. It also depends on how much detail. Does anyone need to know that the Electron Framework was bumped a version? 

I quite like release notes like what they've just done. The chances are there was probably nothing worth shouting about, the update could've been starting an internal test or updating a bit of Javascript ready for a new feature in X weeks time or fixing a typo from 10.55.1 lol

Todoist do nice release notes.

• Like 2

That actually reminds me of a software update that I helped push through years and years ago.

We were messing with the language files and somehow the English word "Report" got changed to "Repot" and this word appeared all over the interface so we pushed another update and wrote it down as "Bug fixes and feature improvements" 😂

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Yeah, I never know what's behind "miscellaneous bug fixes," but I never suspect that they have addressed the bugs that are bothering me.

I agree that it would be good to have both the jolly metaphor and some actual information, since otherwise, why bother with release notes at all? I don't mind a little levity. It would be nice if they would hire a professional levity-creator to write it, though, since neither coders nor marketers are noted for producing text that (intentionally) makes anybody smile but them. Maybe it was funnier in Italian. Ooh, ooh: here's a job for AI: "Write an amusing update report that also conveys an accurate summary of what was done."

• Haha 1

I just installed the latest update on my computer (Windows 10). Now I cannot even open Evernote. And the previous shortcut will not open it. Shortcut indicated "the destination of this shortcut has been moved or changed, do you want to delete it". I cannot access Evernote on my computer. I thought perhaps there would be a "repair" option for the installed program but there is only "uninstall". I have been using Evernote for many years and I do not want to lose all of my Notes.

Evernote, at this time, still works on my iPhone. 

I apprecaite any assistance.

13 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yeah, I never know what's behind "miscellaneous bug fixes," but I never suspect that they have addressed the bugs that are bothering me.

Yep. If I manage a list of missing feature (for me), it would be fine to simply read about changes and not to search and find it by myself (what might be time-consuming as long as my list is not trivial). 😉 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, RealtorJere said:

I apprecaite any assistance.

Hi.  Log in to your account via a browser and Evernote.com to ensure all your notes are still stored on the server.  If so,  uninstalling from your device will not affect any notes that have been synced with the server.  Uninstall and reinstall Evernote.