Loosing data after sync while using corporate vpn

Hi,

This is not the first time that I have lost all changes made to my notes after synchronization.

The way to reproduce this is always the same :

Using my corporate VPN Evernote syncing is blocked due to proxy handling (we use a proxy pac to connect which doesn't seem to be handled well by the Evernote software)

While connectivity is back (disabling vpn): everything that was done before disappears and is lost.

Tried to check from previous saved version: no backup available for this data.

This issue is not random but 100 % reproducible : each time Evernote told me : "data are saved" : going out the note and coming back : everything is lost :( 

For me it's a real critical bug: are you aware of his?

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're aware that Evernote is a server-based service - all additions and changes are recorded on the server,  and any device connected to your account with send and receive changes each time Evernote is opened and while it is in use.  Using the app from behind any kind of corporate protection though could easily prevent the server from receiving your data,  and it is nothing to do with Evernote where and why the break in the connection exists. 

If sync is not possible,  then your only fall-back may be to work on documents with an installed word-processor and to import those documents to Evernote on a desktop or when you are outside corporate premises.  Evernote could then support you as a passive backup for documentation.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If a corporate VPN is used, all traffic will undergo the rules and settings of that network. Since companies need to keep their network free from intruders, all sort of security measures are used. And they are upgraded and hardened all the time, as new threats emerge. What worked yesterday may stop working today.

Now there are 2 possibilities:

EN is an official tool in your company. In this case talk to your IT, to get EN whitelisted.

EN is your private tool (even if you use it to boost your professional performance). In this case you use it on the company network at your own risk. 

You should be aware that the network connection is a critical link when you use EN. I go offline with EN when I assume that the network connection is fragile.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Firs tof all this issue should be moved to Mac env. as it's not related to iOS, sorry for that.

Let me clarify my point of view of this issue :

1/ Regarding the access behind a proxy using a VPN : this proxy is only here to grant access to internet, no other rules (nothing is filtered once connected to internet through proxy).
It's clearly a bad management of the Mac proxy setup from Evernote application : when I'm setting up manually the HTTP(S)_PROXY env. variable manually in the terminal and launching Evernote app with command line just after : it seems to solve the issue (temporary as the proxy changes every hour) : that means that Evernote doesn't read the Mac PROXY env. setup "dynamically".

2/ As Evernote doesn't able to get access to internet through proxy, the sync is not working, but the big issue here is that Evernote app told me that everything is saved and recorded, and I don't receive any "connection lost" issue : only after deactivating the VPN, suddenly everything disappears and is lost...

• Level 5

Contact support.

EN can’t foresee any networking situation. I am running it occasionally through VPN connections myself, both from the road to my home network (on WireGuard and a backup connection on IPSec, rerouted there to the internet), and sometimes through an external VPN Service. I never had a problem like the one you describe.

When I know I am on a fragile network situation (like on a train), I take the app offline and continue working. It has always synced fine when I came back to a stable network link and switched it back to online use.

That‘s my experience, different to yours. From what you tell I still think that something on your network connection blocked a significant part of the data stream, prohibiting a proper use of EN on that specific network. If it can be reproduced it doesn’t work on this specific network, but it works on VPNs in general, you will more likely get it to work by solving the specific network issue, than by asking EN to solve it for you.

But as I said: The forum is user 2 user, only support is the official partner to sort out things like this.

• 8 months later...

I had a similar issue with a device that needed to connect as if it were in a different region. VPNs like WireGuard and OpenVPN are great, but they're not always ideal for devices without their interface, like your vacuum robot.

Using a VPN for these things was more trouble than it was worth. So, I switched to using something called a proxy. This was way easier, especially for just one device or part of my home network. I got my proxy from a site called proxys.io. It worked well because it was simple to set up and made my device work like it was in the right place.