Unknown notes being displayed

Upon opening Evernote, I saw this recent note in Russian. I don't speak Russian.

I visited Google Translate and saw that it said "fisherman's song aquarium" − I have no idea what this is talking about.

How did this note get in my account? I'm very worried about the security right now.

Capture d’écran de 2023-03-24 21-54-18.png

• Evernote Expert

The most common cause of hacking is the reuse of passwords.

I'd recommend you immediately change your Evernote password and implement two-factor authentication.

There are a few potentially legitimate reasons for receiving this note in your account but the best option is to ensure that only you have access and delete the errant note.

19 hours ago, agsteele said:

The most common cause of hacking is the reuse of passwords.

I'd recommend you immediately change your Evernote password and implement two-factor authentication.

There are a few potentially legitimate reasons for receiving this note in your account but the best option is to ensure that only you have access and delete the errant note.

Thanks but I wasn't reusing a password.

Deleting the note doesn't resolve anything − the issue is that someone else accessed my account even once.

Upon looking at https://www.evernote.com/AccessHistory.action, I see that no other access has been recorded, besides my own, so this note must've arrived through Evernote's own system, not through the reuse of my credentials.

My phone was always with me, in my pocket or my hands, during the time when this note was created.

I heard something like this a few weeks ago but the problem ended up being a Zapier integration gone wrong. 

You got anything integrated with EN?

As others say contact support. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

the problem ended up being a Zapier integration gone wrong. 

That was to do with notes being marked as 'shared' - the share URL was active so that anyone with that URL (which is safe behind Evernote's firewall and only available on direct access) could have gained access to individual notes.  There was nothing about strange notes materialising in an account.  

@Owen Miller - if you still have the note (check the trash notebook if you deleted it) the 'note info' will give you author and date details,  and the history (if it has one) may show more.  Be cautious - don't follow any links and don't open any attachments if you find them!

We've never heard of random notes appearing in an account,  and -other than tempting the owner to click links or attachments- I can't see that this means anyone else has access to the account other than to spam you with unwanted detail.  It may even be that someone with an account email address very similar to yours managed to get their account address wrong,  and is even now complaining that their email was never received in their account...

But we're all other users - Evernote Support are the guys to look under the hood.