Right-click for highlight options or floating toolbar option

Mike Fults

Idea

I'm using Evernote to study classwork, and the ability to highlight/format text needs to be quick.  Having to highlight then move the pointer to the toolbar slows down my studying.  Can this feature be added?  Thanks, Mike F

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Add it yourself.

Get the PopClip menu bar helper, and configure it to your liking. It offers a ton of useful popup  options, among them a highlighter. And it works in every app on the Mac, not only inside of a single one like EN.

• Level 5

You can have it now, the way I described, or you can wait.

Chances are pretty high you will be long done with your study, and this request will still be open. So if you decide to hope that others solve your problem, it can’t be really important.

14 hours ago, Mike Fults said:

Having to highlight then move the pointer to the toolbar slows down my studying.

Why don't you use the shortcut key (ctrl+shift+H on windows, but it will be similar on Mac)? So you can select text and highligt it, all from the keyboard. Surprisingly it will always use the default yellow colour, so unfortunately you will still need to go to the toolbar if you want a different colour.

There are also keyboard shortcuts for most of the other formatting options. (Help -> Keyboard shortcuts foir the complete list)

I thought about that, but as I’m reading large amounts of text, my hands aren’t on the keyboard. I’m using a Wacom tablet or mouse and would like to right-click after selecting. I tried mapping the keystrokes to the pen. I haven’t tried the function buttons on the tablet. I’m just looking for a quick method of highlighting as if I were using a textbook. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mike Fults said:

$10 a month!?!?! Hard pass.

You must have been looking at the subscription for Setapp (a subscription service for Mac and iOS apps -- "use PopClip plus more than 230 other apps").

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

10 bucks, one timer. Not everybody is on a subscription model.

Good call. Also -- looks like $16.99 USD now anyway.

3 hours ago, Mike Fults said:

I haven’t tried the function buttons on the tablet.

I wonder if you could map one of those to the Highlight shortcut (but like @Mike P pointed out, you just get yellow that way).