Restoring side panel shortcuts

chuckkahn

Idea

I booted up an infrequently booted PC the other day and opened Evernote desktop and saw an old (year plus) arrangement of shortcuts in the side panel and when I went back to the my (almost) always-on frequently used PC I was shocked to find this same year plus old arrangement of shortcuts reproduced there as well, overwriting my collection of hard won shortcuts with an outdated arrangement!   Scandal!  Chaos!

Is there a way to prevent this overwriting of shutcuts or a a way to restore the more recent arrangement of shortcuts?   I would rather have my shortcuts from 2 days ago rather than my shortcuts from 400 days ago.  The perils of booting up an infrequently used PC I guess. And did installing EN Legacy on the infrequently booted PC exacerbate this?   Also what is the way to search for articles and help on "Evernote shortcuts" if you do *not* mean EN keyboard shortcuts -- I mean the shortcuts that appear on the side panel above "All Notes" and "Notebooks" and "Tags".   What are those called?   Side panel shortcuts?  Same word is used for both concepts and my googling of "Evernot shortcuts" brought up several pages of results about keyboard shortcuts, which was not what I was searching for.

Also I wanted to mention I usally use EN desktop.  Maybe because when I do get brave and venture into EN web, I end up seeing a collection of shortcuts that do not resemble the desktop collection.  So consistency of shortcuts is one of the key features I rely on EN desktop for.

4 replies to this idea

Also is there a thread subscribe button for email notifications for this thread?   I looked top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left.  Where is the button hiding?

Edit: Found it.  It's "Follow"   I was looking for "Subscribe" which is how every other forum does it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, chuckkahn said:

this same year plus old arrangement of shortcuts reproduced there as well, overwriting my collection of hard won shortcuts with an outdated arrangement

? Shouldn't be possible in normal circumstances - I'd recommend a Support query (mainly users here) to share activity logs and work out what happened...  maybe recover the situation.

13 hours ago, chuckkahn said:

Maybe because when I do get brave and venture into EN web, I end up seeing a collection of shortcuts that do not resemble the desktop collection.

It's important to understand how the synchronisation process in EN works. This applies to everything not just shorcuts. The shortcuts on your main computer are uploaded to the EN web server. The web version gets the information directly from the server so is really the definitive version of what EN thinks are your shortcuts. If there is a mismatch between the web and your main computer then you have a problem. If another copy of EN comes on line (e.g. your infrequently used computer) it will synchronise with the server and should look the same as the web version. If you logged out of EN on your main computer and chose to remove your data when you logged back in you would get whatever you see on the web version.

As for solutions this is tricky. Normally differences between local and server versions of the database are solved by deleting your local data and forcing EN to redownload. This is probably not what you want. As @gazumpedhas mentioned you may need the help of support. 

I would encourage you to check the web version (no bravery involved). As I said, it is the the closest to the definitive version of your data. I would experiment with making changes to shortcuts on a desktop version and making sure they are reflected in the web version and from there on to any other devices.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, chuckkahn said:

And did installing EN Legacy on the infrequently booted PC exacerbate this?

Maybe - it depends on when you did this. Legacy has an option whether to sync favourites or not. If you changed this setting sometimes since you moved to EN10, the synching process between Legacy-Server and/or EN10-Server got in trouble.

• Like 2