Sync failing between Windows app and both Browser and Android

Go to solution Solved by Tom Lent,

Last night (March 10, 2023) Sync ceased to function between my Android and my Windows apps in either direction.
I tried:
  • dramatically cutting down the size of the note I was working on 
  • Deleting dozens of notes from both apps (I am currently down to 638 notes)
  • Emptying the trash on both apps
  • Syncing with the browser evernote, then reinstalling both apps and restarting both devices
I now have Windows Evernote v10.54.4 and Android v10.48 
I got full sync briefly this morning after the reinstall.
Then it stopped syncing again.
After bringing up the browser evernote again, I now find that I can sync between the Android app and the Browser.
But I cannot sync to or from the Windows app with either the Browser evernote or the Android app.
The only  exception is that a title change I made on the Android app showed up on the Windows app, but the note content changes did not. 
Help! Thanks
  • Evernote Expert

Since all apps sync first with the cloud you should focus on the Windows app.

I noted briefly elsewhere that you might rebuild your Windows data. Since you've tried uninstalling did you use a standard Windows uninstall? This leaves lots of junk which can continue the problem when you reinstall.

Try uninstalling from Windows using the Revo Uninstaller program. This clears out the junk. Then reinstall and see how you get on.

Be sure to capture the content of any notes on Windows that have not synced to the cloud.

Thanks!

An Evernote tech also suggested rebuilding the windows data (close down all Evernote procedures, and rename the Appdata Evernote folder to force the index rebuild).  As you were, i was skeptical having done a reinstall, but did it anyway.

For the moment the sync is working again. Go figure.

If it falls apart again I will try the deep uninstall cleanup you suggest.

It stopped syncing again so after several hours of no sync, I started to try the suggested deep uninstall. Curiously, Evernote did not show up in the program list for Revo uninstaller, IoBit uninstaller or Iolo Advanced Installer. It does, however, show up in Windows Settings Installed Apps. I tried Windows Repair function. No change. I tried windows Reset. That of course started over with a fresh database and it also started syncing again. We'll see how long that lasts.

• Evernote Expert

This sounds like an installation that is well and truly broken. But just to check... Which version of Evernote do you use? The direct download from Evernote.com or the Microsoft store version? If thexstore version, uninstall and start again with the direct download.

If you are on the direct download...

If your actions aren't effective you could try either of the following.

1. Uninstall Evernote. In Windows file explorer navigate to and delete %AppData%\Evernote

Similarly with %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

2. Alternatively, Reinstall Evernote and immediately remove with Revo Uninstaller.

Thanks. It stopped again. So
I uninstalled it with Windows Installed Apps. It didn't behave normally but appears to have uninstalled it. I looked for appdata evernote folders to delete but could find none.
I reinstalled the latest version (10.54.4) from a download from the Evernote website (previously I had installed from the Windows app store).
We'll see if this version is any more stable.
I appreciate your help!
Edited by Tom Lent
Clarity
  • Evernote Expert

The store version runs in sandbox and has been noted for some limitations. It also cannot be removed by Revo Uninstaller etc. I'm hopeful that the direct download will resolve this particular issue.

• Solution

@agsteele gets the prize. Now that I have installed from the Evernote download web page instead of from the Microsoft app store, Revo can see Evernote to uninstall it (Revo could note see the Microsoft App store version). Sure enough, the previous Windows uninstalls appear to have left all sorts of registry debris. Revo's medium scan found a ton of registry items. I selected and deleted all 401 folders and files with Evernote in the name.  I ignored several other entries for other software that came up in the scan that did not appear to have a relation to Evernote.  One day later it is still syncing.