Add foldering for Shortcuts

Jeremy B

Idea

I use shortcuts for Saved Searches to get to notes with particular tags or date ranges.  For example, I have a shortcut for each member of my staff so I can quickly get to the notes tagged for that staff member.  Any note created when I'm looking at that saved search automatically inherits the tags from the saved search.  Again, incredibly convenient.  I have something on the order of 100 (and growing) shortcuts.  It would be very helpful to be able to folder these shortcuts.

For example, I have loads of shortcuts for "People" saved searches.  I would love to be able to create a Shortcut folder called "People" and nest all of these shortcuts inside it so that I don't have to scroll past all of them when trying to click on another shortcut.

I use a dot notation to make things easier to find.  So here's an example of my problem.  Let's say I have these shortcuts, each leading to its own saved search:

Meetings.Department Meeting
Meetings.Supply Chain Touchbase
Meetings.Unit/Section Roundtable
People.Roberts Anita
People.Smith John
People.Young Julie

Currently I have no choice but to view the shortcuts this way.  But what I'd like to see is the ability to create folders, like so:

Meetings
People

Then, expanding People would show a view like this:

Meetings
People
   People.Roberts Anita
   People.Smith John
   People.Young Julie

This would be a massive quality of life improvement for me.

• Like 1

2 replies to this idea

I personaly keep shortcuts down to an absolute minimum, because they soon become unwieldy.  Most of my saved searches never get to be shortcuts. The folder idea would be really good.

I would also like saved searches to have a status similar to notebooks or tags with a window where you can see all the searches and organise them.

The other missing feature, which has been mentioned on these forums recently, is the ability to link to a saved search from a note, like you can to another note. Thus a dashboard note could link to other notes, webpages and saved searches. See some useful discussion here:

• Level 5*

Hi.  You could change the system to use tags and just search on tags (which do have nesting) or use the web app which will (unofficially) allow you to save searches - just copy the URL of a completed search.  Or there's Filterize which will create a ToC (table of content) for many things,  including searches,  and keep it up to date;  so (forinstance) all notes containing the words John and Smith can be listed in one ToC.