Evernote needs an overhall design for Escape key behavior (Windows 10, Evernote 10.54.4)

Anonyme For Liberty

Idea

Disclaimer : I'm a very intensive keyboard user. Almost never my mouse for coding or for taking notes.

Hi everyone,

It seems the overall Evernote application needs a rework for how the application behaves when you press the Escape key. Actually it's not consistent throughout the application and it does not do much.

I'm pretty spoiled with how the JetBrains IDE applications handle the question (IDE are applications for coding, JetBrains do one of the best).

Let me explain what we can do in their IDEs when you press Escape as your focus is inside a sidebar or options panel, it automatically comes back in the body of the currently edited page code in the editor tab, at the last known cursor position.
I believe it should be the same within Evernote, because they are almost identical in UI and usage:
The current note is the center of your attention as it is for a page code in your IDE and you go back and forth between your code/notes and the control bars, navigation controls, but in the end you always come back to a note.

Here is an exemple :
When I press the keyboard shortcut to add new tags to the current note, that is putting the focus inside the bottom bar of the note, at that moment your cursor is inside a new empty slot waiting for input for tag selection or creation. If I press the escape key, I would like to automatically return back to the body of the current note (my preference).

Today, if you press Escape when you are in the empty slot, it does nothing. This is because they decided to not capture the escape key every time we are inside a field for edition (almost everywhere, few exceptions). But I disagree with this choice.
Because from a user perspective, when you ask to do an action, like a research, it's indeed a good idea to automatically place the user cursor inside the field research so he can start typing right away. So it should also be a good idea to gives the user a mean to immediately cancel what he asked for and go back to the currently edited note.

JetBrains even did it better : 2 escapes behavior : first escape is to cancel current action but the focus stays within the area so you can try again what you were doing. In some situations, Evernote does already that. Second escape when your focus is still in the area but on NO ACTIVE element, then the focus/cursor is placed on the currently page code. Thats very neat. From a user perspective, le me describe how it goes : "damn, made a mistake -> Escape. Well, that wasn't a good idea to do that action in the first place -> Escape again and your focus is back on the current note, ready to be productive".

My solution today to leave the bottom bar area and get back to the note editing is to press the keyboard short (I believe F2 ? I've edited all keyboard shortcut, not sure if it is the default one) to go into the current note title field.

I understand that I'm asking a lot. Even though the power users are not many and logically they are not a business priority.

Have a good day,

Franz

• Thanks 1

0 replies to this idea

There have been no replies to this idea yet