Each task should be its own note

Wayne Villars

Idea

When I create a new task, Evernote should create a new note:

• the task title should be the title of the note
  • the task and the note should be inseparably linked (the note is the task, and vice versa)
  • clicking on the task should open the note

This enables the ability to:

• add a description to the task
  •  tag the task
  • add subtasks
  • link the task to other notes

9 replies to this idea

20 minutes ago, Wayne Villars said:

When I create a new task, Evernote should create a new note:

That's not how it has been designed, or how I would personally want it. However there is no reason, with a bit of extra work, why you can't operate the system in that way. It helps if your default is to start a new note in the body of the note but it is not essential

• Create a new note
  • type in the name of the task in the body of the note
  • click into the title area (or F2) to automatically add the text to the title
  • select the text in the body of the note (down arrow to move back to the body of the note followed by ctrl+A)
  • Press alt+T to convert the text into a task
  • Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

I think this is one of those options that will be great for one user and terrible for another.

We can, of course, start a new note and add the task to it.  But tasks are intended to be located with context.  So a note per project, for example, mighht hold all the tasks related to that project.  That's the intent with Evernote tasks.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

You can create as many notes as you want (up to 100k), and you can add one task (or several) to each note. That’s technically possible.

To be honest: Better get a task manager for your use case.

EN Tasks were designed to make notes actionable - not to replace Task Managers altogether.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2023 at 8:49 AM, agsteele said:

I think this is one of those options that will be great for one user and terrible for another.

We can, of course, start a new note and add the task to it.  But tasks are intended to be located with context.  So a note per project, for example, mighht hold all the tasks related to that project.  That's the intent with Evernote tasks.

Then these tasks inside the note, like a project note ou a Master Task note, woud be Sub Tasks 😉

• Level 5*
On 3/4/2023 at 3:17 AM, Wayne Villars said:

Each task should be it's own note

This is how I've always handled project/task management

Also as a note, we're able to add tags (another user request)   
I assign a project-id tag to link tasks to a project

>When I create a new task, Evernote should create a new note

i do the reverse; first create the note then assign as a task

• Like 1

I have a hybrid method. There are numerous tasks, especially recurring ones, that I do not require a note for, so I create the task listed in my Default Task Note.    Others related to a Note are created within the respective Note.  This makes Tasks flexible for various needs as they can be viewed on e Home Screen by Due Date, Note, Default Tax Note or Assigned.

The bottom line is one software will never be everything for everyone.

The word SHOULD is something I do my best to never say. By using the word should you're only going to frustrate yourself. 
IT SHOULD! Yes, but it doesn't. 

The majority of power users of tasks would go bonkers if each newly created task also created a new note. Tasks that don't live within a specific note are found in the default task note. There's no reason you can't create a note and add a task to it. 

And while we're on the subject, no you can't add a tag to a task currently and it's not on the immediate road map. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Tasks were mainly added to make notes actionable. One task = one action. If a note requires several independent actions, it asks for several tasks, each one controlling one string of actions. The huge advantage of EN tasks is that while we work on the tasks, the note is enriched with more information.

A new note for each task contradicts this logic - it is optimizing an out of scope use case, but at the same time sacrifices the main use case to do so. If your goal is a lot of independent or loosely connected tasks, get a task manager.

• Like 1