(Archived) 3.0.0.582 Win32: no default notebook indicator?

The dot that used to show which notebook is the default now only shows for the notebook you clicked on.

There is no visual difference between the default notebook and the others.

Left-clicking on a Notebook appears to make it the default Notebook.

If Right-click on a notebook and look at the properties you will see an open check-box to make it the Default if it is not.

The dot indicates the notebook you are currently clipping into. Current behaviour of the Windows client (which was also in .550 and previous builds) is that it would clip into the current selected notebook (i.e. default notebook follows the selection). Now the dot clearly indicates that.

Weird. On my Win32 installation the dot used to remain fixed to the default notebook. It was how I could see it was the default notebook.

No use going back and forth over that then.

In that case I would like to forward the feature request to have something, anything, indicate what my default notebook is. The more notebooks I have the more cumbersome it would be to right-click through each one of them to try to figure out which one the default is.

Weird. On my Win32 installation the dot used to remain fixed to the default notebook. It was how I could see it was the default notebook.

No use going back and forth over that then.

In that case I would like to forward the feature request to have something, anything, indicate what my default notebook is. The more notebooks I have the more cumbersome it would be to right-click through each one of them to try to figure out which one the default is.

What is the 'default' notebook for you (in Windows client)? I mean, what behavior do you expect to have from such default notebook on the Windows client?

What is the 'default' notebook for you (in Windows client)?

The 'default' notebook is the one selected by going into the properties for that notebook and checking the default checkbox.

what behavior do you expect to have from such default notebook on the Windows client?

As per the previous version, it is the notebook which, when no specific notebook has been selected, will, by default, receive new notes.

The default notebook is also the place where emailed notes will arrive.

In the previous version this notebook was indicated by a dot before it.

When asked "One of my notebooks in the PC client [...] is displayed slightly inset with a black dot in front of it. Why is its name displayed differently and what is its significance?", dengberg responded:

I think you're looking at the "Default" notebook

This message contains a screenshot of this dot behavior:

download.php?id=582

The poster asked "I see one notebook prefaced with a bullet, but the other isn't. I am not clear why that is. What does the bullet mean? " and crane responded:

the bullet means that's your default notebook

Yes, the service has a notion of the 'default' notebook, which it uses to put notes from email or from web clipper. Unfortunately, as we introduced local notebooks, desktop clients (both Windows and Mac) can't use this 'service-default' notebook, because this would mean that you can't make a local notebook a 'default' one. Both Mac and Windows client are going to have an option to eiher clip to specific notebook, or to the notebook which is currently selected (except 'All notebooks'). For the user to clearly see where his new notes or clips go on that particular client, the bullet indicator is used. Windows client currently has only one mode out of two (it puts clips to notebook which is currently selected). Visually this looks like the bullet indicator follows your selected notebook, but if you click on 'All notebooks', it stays on the previously selected notebook. So, if you work with 'Recipes' notebook, your clips go there. If you select 'All notebooks', your clips will still go into 'Recipes' notebook -- the most recent notebook you worked with. if you then explicitly click on the 'Travel' notebook, all your clips will now go into 'Travel'. As we introduce another clipping mode in desktop clients -- to clip into specific notebook -- you will be able to choose that notbook, and it will be always marked with the bullet, and will not follow the selected notebook, clearly indicating that this is the target notebook for clips and new notes.

Do you feel that it is more important to always visually indicate the 'service-default' notebook on all clients (as it was in Windows client before), rather than indicate the 'default' notebook (i.e. the target notebook for all clips / new notes) each client currently has independently defined? Or do you need both indicators at the same time?

Archived