Notes being 'auto-shared' when created in added account window

• Level 5*

OK - this is mildly complicated:  I'm a professional subscriber with Evernote 10.53.2 on a Windows 11 desktop.  I have a couple of basic accounts that I use for testing.  I added these accounts to my Professional set-up so I can switch between them.

I recently looked at 'search' question and wanted to compare pro and basic behaviour,  so set up & tested a new note in pro,  then switched to my basic account and did the same.  The new note showed as shared x2,  though I had not intentionally shared it.  Most other notes in the account did not show as shared - so had presumably been set up by me when logged into that account directly.  I did a "sharedate:*" search and got ONE hit. - Presumably again,  a share I'd done while logged in directly.

I fed this back to Evernote with the above details directly:

Where a subscriber also has a basic account and uses the 'add accounts' feature to switch between subscriber and free versions,  the Share feature should not be activated automatically.  The note should only show as shared when that option is chosen by a creator or editor.

There was no option to include logs or images,  but these pics and the relevant logs are saved on my system.

TL:DR - it's not a major issue,  but it's illogical and it would be nice to have it fixed sometime...

PLUS:  When you quit your added account,  you only get a 'sign out' option.  There's no obvious switch back to another account,  though my pro account popped up as soon as I signed out.

(I use this account at least once a year...;))

20230301-basic-account.thumb.jpg.9914404b453f097261219129e288cec0.jpg

But looking at the 'share' details,  it's not shared. ????

20230301-basic-share.thumb.jpg.2a24ad3b280d645329f4183881e7e3a6.jpg

• Evernote Expert

A guess, I can't tell from the screenshots.  You created this note with gazumped_1 and shared it with gazumped_2.  You view the note in gazumped_2 and it shows as shared with two users. And that is correct it has been shared with users 1 and 2.  But it hasn't been shared by gazumped_2 so when you check the sharing, nothing is shown.

Presumably if you switch back to account 1 it will show the share with gazumped_2.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Presumably if you switch back to account 1 it will show the share with gazumped_2.

Hmmn - hadn't thought to look;  but now that I do (both the app and the web) there's no shared notes in gaz-1 from gaz-2

My main point here though is that logged into gaz-1,  I physically changed to log in to gaz-2 and create a note.  It's like I opened the account directly to create the note.  So why show it as 'shared'?  Especially since this is a different kind of shared from sharing it externally - to colleagues or to Evernote forinstance.

I think this should just be treated as a new unshared note in this account.  When I'm able to switch from one account to the other I need to be treated as legitimately logged into that account,  with all the related rights and priviledges.  So new notes should not be - and don't need to be - 'shared' between gaz-1 and gaz-2 because (surprise!) they're both me!

Like I said - not the most urgent issue we're facing,  but it's illogical - and it annoys me,  so I'm having a vent!!  :D

• Like 1