Critical Usability Bug: MUST BE possibility to disable "Simplify Formatting" and "Remove Formatting"!!!

Hi.

There MUST BE possibility TO DISABLE "Simplify Formatting" and "Remove Formatting"!!!

Because by 1 accidental keyboard click I can destroy results of 2-3 hours of work! (because Undo in such case is too long and complex!)

So, instead of working I have to spend lot of efforts on importing old note from history AND THE RE-DO ALL OPERATIONS AGAIN!

Which means - EveryNote UI is designed in a wrong way! Such dangerous operations MUST NOT HAVE keyboard shortcuts!!!

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  As you should know by now,  Evernote 6.25 is no longer supported by Evernote (or anyone).  It will not be updated or changed.  The new v10 no longer offers 'simplify' options in quite the same way - you may find that to be an improvement.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  As you should know by now,  Evernote 6.25 is no longer supported by Evernote (or anyone).  It will not be updated or changed.  The new v10 no longer offers 'simplify' options in quite the same way - you may find that to be an improvement.

Yes, I know about version 10. I have version 10 installed on my backup device and from time to time I'm updating it and validating - if it works at all?

Unfortunately, version 10 has terribly low quality! It is deadly slow and it has terrible unresponsive interface. On 99% it is not able to open my notes at all! 😞

So, if EverNote will not resolve these problems I might need to search for alternative tools... Or maybe even try develop something by myself. Because for sure - "version 10" is a dead branch of EverNote, it is completely non-usable. 😕 

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

"version 10" is a dead branch of EverNote, it is completely non-usable.

Well, it has recently been taken over by a long-term user who runs a successful Italian AI company so with any luck it might improve soon... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

"Dangerous operations must not have a keyboard shortcut" - wow, I just spent 3 hours typing. But then I accidentally pressed the "Del" key, and all of my writing was gone. Keyboard functions perform operations on a document (be it a note or an attachment), and to be effective, they must be "dangerous". If they are not, they don't work.

Most keyboard shortcuts need 2 or 3 keys pressed in a coordinated action - which should help to prevent an unintentional use. I think you should train your muscle memory some more - it gets better over time.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

"Dangerous operations must not have a keyboard shortcut" - wow, I just spent 3 hours typing. But then I accidentally pressed the "Del" key, and all of my writing was gone. Keyboard functions perform operations on a document (be it a note or an attachment), and to be effective, they must be "dangerous". If they are not, they don't work.

Most keyboard shortcuts need 2 or 3 keys pressed in a coordinated action - which should help to prevent an unintentional use. I think you should train your muscle memory some more - it gets better over time.

You sample case "3 hours typing + DEL" is not match this situation. Because simple DEL is not deleting all, you need to do "Select All" first and only then DEL.
But as example of correct match - youtube implemented wrong handling of [BackSpace] key in their comment editor - by [BackSpace] they delete all text! So, user expects to cancel only 1 last char but instead they delete just all.
Also - in both cases (on "3 hours typing + DEL" and for youtube comments) - there is always working Ctrl+Z(Undo) - it simply restore all back.
So, your example is wrong in this case.

In relation to "keyboard shortcuts need 2 or 3 keys pressed in a coordinated action" - this is not related to closely located keys! So, it must not be possible to press it accidentally. For example: that is essentially more quite difficult to erase all formatting by pressing Ctrl+Alt+[-] then Ctrl+Alt+Space - because [space] key is very close to Ctrl+Alt. Also all such Ctrl+Space and Ctrl+Alt+Space - often used for hotkeys for other apps (also as global shortcuts), for example: Ctrl+Alt+[Home] is global shortcut for video player play/pause action. And that is very easy to press also [Space] accidentally in such case. 

In relation to "you should train your muscle" - this is not about one-way operations! Especially - about rarely used one-way operation. User may need "Simplify Formatting" maybe once or twice during all work cycle for a note, also because there is existing "Paste and Match Style" action which makes "Simplify Formatting" even more rarely used operation. 

So, you thinking about it in a bit wrong way.

12 hours ago, dmitry_bond said:

Because for sure - "version 10" is a dead branch of EverNote, it is completely non-usable. 😕 

My productivity has increased over 100-fold since ditching Legacy and moving to V10, especially with the more recent functionality.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

My productivity has increased over 100-fold since ditching Legacy and moving to V10, especially with the more recent functionality.

I just made a simple comparison test with my version 6.25.x and latest 10.53.x.
Scenario was typical for my needs:
1) open a note
2) locate end-of-discission
3) add text, put some primitive formatting (underscore+bold for username)

With 6.x - 5 + 3 + 2 sec = 10 sec
With 10.x - 15 + 5 + 1 sec = 21 sec

Also a critical thing - I tried to copy-paste a piece of code from VisualStudio into a note - version 6.x supporting it correctly (keep syntax highlighting), version 10.x paste it as ugly plain-text!

So, not in all scenarios version 10 is better.

Also - some critical new limitations introduced in 10.x, ex: cannot select more than 100 notes in list.
So, "export all notes to file" is no longer possible in 10.x! But that is super-critical functionality for me. Thus, even if I want I cannot move forward to 10.x 😞

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dmitry_bond said:

"export all notes to file" is no longer possible in 10.x!

If you open the Notebooks page in 10.x it is possible to export the whole notebook (no100 note limit) to ENEX / HTML / PDF with various options.  Check the three dots 'more' actions menu on the right hand side.

• Like 2

I just made a simple comparison test with my version 6.25.x and latest 10.53.x.
Scenario was typical for my needs:
1) open a note
2) locate end-of-discission
3) add text, put some primitive formatting (underscore+bold for username)

With 6.x - 5 + 3 + 2 sec = 10 sec
With 10.x - 15 + 5 + 1 sec = 21 sec

Also a critical thing - I tried to copy-paste a piece of code from VisualStudio into a note - version 6.x supporting it correctly (keep syntax highlighting), version 10.x paste it as ugly plain-text!

So, not in all scenarios version 10 is better.

Also - some critical new limitations introduced in 10.x, ex: cannot select more than 100 notes in list.
So, "export all notes to file" is no longer possible in 10.x! But that is super-critical functionality for me. Thus, even if I want I cannot move forward to 10.x 😞

Your experience, certainly not mine.

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you open the Notebooks page in 10.x it is possible to export the whole notebook (no100 note limit) to ENEX / HTML / PDF with various options.  Check the three dots 'more' actions menu on the right hand side.

Waw! Thank you. That could change things...
I have 30 notebooks in my EverNote. So, 30 times click "Export" - that is better than nothing. I think I can live with it.

So, now only the open critical issue left - missing copy-paste for source code pieces from VisualStudio...

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, dmitry_bond said:

Waw! Thank you. That could change things...
I have 30 notebooks in my EverNote. So, 30 times click "Export" - that is better than nothing. I think I can live with it.

So, now only the open critical issue left - missing copy-paste for source code pieces from VisualStudio...

If you are wanting to export all notebooks in ENEX then the GitHub evernote-backup project works well for me. Once configured it works seamlessly.

I haven't tried pasting source code but I would first start a code block and then paste the code into the block. I have a feeling that this might work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, dmitry_bond said:

missing copy-paste for source code pieces from VisualStudio...

Evernote (obviously) is not currently a supporter of colour or layout tweaks for code.  If it suits your use case,  you could either attach a VS output file to your note to preserve the layout,  or use any other code editor that supports the layout format you require and attach that to the note.  If you need to search by the actual code text,  then the badly-formatted Evernote version will do to feed the search index.

You could make a feature request here to support coding format - the more votes it attracts,  the more likely it will happen - or feedback directly to Evernote's new owners through the app links,  or Evernote Support.  You've already made a suggestion here,  but the forum will be read at some unknown time in the future,  while feedback and support tickets get attention within a few  days. 

The new Evernote (I believe Bending Notes or EverSpoons are the.. informal name suggestions) seems to be far more coding-friendly,  so at some future time they may extend the editor to include these options;  but for the meantime we have no idea what plans they may have.

Oh - and for processing 30 notebooks;  you might also want to look at Zapier and/ or other external automation integrations like Power Automate which can run scripts for repetitive mouse /keyboard actions.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Evernote (obviously) is not currently a supporter of colour or layout tweaks for code.  If it suits your use case,  you could either attach a VS output file to your note to preserve the layout,  or use any other code editor that supports the layout format you require and attach that to the note.  If you need to search by the actual code text,  then the badly-formatted Evernote version will do to feed the search index.

You could make a feature request here to support coding format - the more votes it attracts,  the more likely it will happen - or feedback directly to Evernote's new owners through the app links,  or Evernote Support.  You've already made a suggestion here,  but the forum will be read at some unknown time in the future,  while feedback and support tickets get attention within a few  days. 

The new Evernote (I believe Bending Notes or EverSpoons are the.. informal name suggestions) seems to be far more coding-friendly,  so at some future time they may extend the editor to include these options;  but for the meantime we have no idea what plans they may have.

Oh - and for processing 30 notebooks;  you might also want to look at Zapier and/ or other external automation integrations like Power Automate which can run scripts for repetitive mouse /keyboard actions.

And that is the interesting difference!
Because in version 6.x I can copy-paste code directly from VisualStudio (or from VsCode) and it will looks fine - correctly formatted and syntax-colorized with a monowidth font.

But version 10.x simply ignoring my attempts to copy-paste something from VS - it put plain-text instead.

For example here is my old synopsis for some python tools - https://www.evernote.com/l/AKXzYXu7B8ZDfrRvIbUh7KBA-QxgOu4bP3c/ - you can see nicely colorized code samples in a text of synopsis. The huge problem - it is no longer possible in version 10.x! 😞

PS. Thank you for ref to Zapier and/ or other external automation integrations like Power Automate, I will check.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

version 10.x simply ignoring my attempts to copy-paste something from VS - it put plain-text instead.

It quite literally is different software with different code behind the editor.  There have been a few instances where users have complained that one or another 'hack' that they used in one version of Evernote (even in the pre-6.25 days) no longer worked in a new version.  One historic complaint came from a user on Evernote version 2.x who was unable to update his database to the latest version - which by that time was v4 or 5.x and very substantially different from the older versions.

Evernote has never claimed that coders can use their notes for accurate replication of code snippets,  and there's nowhere (AFAIK) in their API or elsewhere to offer ways to reintroduce the ability.   I would not expect them to offer anything in the next year or so unless it's already in a pipeline somewhere.  While you can continue to use v6 for a while,  it is only a matter of time before changes to Windows or to Evernote start to cause different problems.

TL:DR - you either need to find a way to use v10 soon,  through work-arounds or third-party add-ins,  or you continue with v6 while looking for a rapid exit to different compatible software.  I do recommend that you feedback to Evernote direct to see what reaction you receive - but if they're contacted by anyone on the basis of "either you fix this or I'll leave" I guarantee you they'll politely wish you luck in the future and go back to whatever else they were doing.

Given that Bending Spoons just spent quite a bit on buying the company,  I would imagine they have some specific plans in progress.  Unless they're already a long way into introducing this feature,  it will take some time (many months to a year plus) to do the necessary R&D and QA.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 1:44 PM, bmcl26 said:

I use Snagit for copy & paste and this works well.

Can you explain as to how you use snagit with EN and why it’s better than the clipper? Are there more steps involved or is it as seamless as clipper? I’ve looked it up but most people seem to use it in conjunction with Dropbox or other cloud services.  

5 hours ago, idoc said:

Can you explain as to how you use snagit with EN and why it’s better than the clipper? Are there more steps involved or is it as seamless as clipper? I’ve looked it up but most people seem to use it in conjunction with Dropbox or other cloud services.  

It is exceptionally flexible and surpasses the Windows 11 Copy & Paste problem. The easiest way to see it in action is on the many Youtube Videos.

• Like 1