Impossible to open notes from two accounts in two seperate evernote main windows at the same time?

I've got two Evernote premium accounts and discovered an important feature missing while testing v10:

In Evernore v6.25, switching to another account (via the toolbar, hidden button function!) would open me a second evernote main window so I could have the notes from both my private and work premium accounts open at the same time, even being able to quickly move notes from one account to the other just by dragging them with the mouse

with v10 this possibility seems to be entirely gone, there's only one Evernote main window and while I can still switch between both accounts I only get to see notes from one account at the same time, bummer.

This may be a rare use case and many users weren't even aware of this functionality in v6.25

however my whole workflows depends on it and unless this has been resolved I can't possibly switch over to v10

• Level 5

What happens when EN kills the legacy clients ?

Very simple - we go without. I got a Mac mini last September, and did not even bother to install old legacy on the shiny new computer. When it's over, it's over.

Maybe a few users will have to find another solution, but I doubt that there will be that many.

I'm not against progress and I wouldn't mind switching over to v10 if it wasn't an inferior product that prioritizes fancy looks over features/usability.

For example there is no more permanent favorites bar at the top anymore, instead its now part of the notebook list in the left pane. I've a lot of notebooks, so everytime I wanna access my favorites I am supposed to scroll the left pane up till the favorites show or what were they thinking? This gotta be a bad joke of some sorts!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

switching to another account (via the toolbar, hidden button function!) would open me a second evernote main window

Hi.  Have you tried clicking your picture and choosing "Add Accounts"?

Screenshot2023-02-22031024.png.5719ccb898b6fb41fb8cf571d5df144b.png

25 minutes ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

there is no more permanent favorites bar at the top anymore

Not sure what this is - I have Shortcuts in the left panel,  and widgets on the home page that will do the job...

Screenshot2023-02-22031310.png.2efbd7ebb8a4d72856718556ad4e8b5c.png  Screenshot2023-02-22031415.png.f94719ef26183cd9c5157f56fc9900af.png

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you tried clicking your picture and choosing "Add Accounts"?

Yes I have, I can add a second account just fine but once I switch I cannot see the notes of the other account anymore, e.g. I cannot see the notes of both accounts at the same time (which was possible with Evernote v6)

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I have Shortcuts in the left panel

I've too but the shortcuts aren't as readily available as they were with the top shortcut bar in Evernote v6

• Level 5

The standard which is provided for is one account for an individual. I run more than one account as well - but the others are plain test accounts.

Seen from the EN concept the way to move data between accounts is through sharing notes and notebooks.

About „I could place my stuff here, and now I can’t“: Individually seen it may change some details of workflows. In general it is hard to argue, because the old clients were so different in UI and functions. What worked in one not necessarily worked in another.

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The standard which is provided for is one account for an individual

I don't run two accounts! One account is my private, the other is the company account - I just want to be able to see and work with both at the same time without constantly switching.

Opening either one in a webbrowser is a bandaid rather than a solution. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

once I switch I cannot see the notes of the other account anymore

Hmmn.  I did not know that.  I'm sure I had two accounts on screen at the same time...  Ah:  no I sit corrected - if you add accounts,  you can switch between them instantly by clicking in the same place...

Screenshot2023-02-22105235.png.967811d6e95fedbdfd11d61f17bcead7.png

...And as for shortcuts,  I hadn't even registered that the option to have them above the display had been 'lost' in transition.  You could add that as a feature request...

• Level 5
18 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

Yes I have, I can add a second account just fine but once I switch I cannot see the notes of the other account anymore, e.g. I cannot see the notes of both accounts at the same time (which was possible with Evernote v6)

I have no experience with this, but what happens if you open some notes from one account in separate windows and then switch to the other account? Do the windows from the first account close?

19 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

For example there is no more permanent favorites bar at the top anymore, instead its now part of the notebook list in the left pane. I've a lot of notebooks, so everytime I wanna access my favorites I am supposed to scroll the left pane up till the favorites show or what were they thinking? This gotta be a bad joke of some sorts!

I don't have a very large number of either notes or shortcuts/favorites, but I find that if I click on Notebooks in the left panel to open the Notebooks list, it remains collapsed in the left panel itself, where I can click on the arrow by Shortcuts to open up that list in the panel, thus gaining access to both lists at once. Not as elegant as the shortcuts at the top, perhaps, but then only a limited number of shortcuts could appear in that space anyway, unless they had very short names.

• Level 5

The moment you start the login to a different account, the additional windows close.

When you return to the initial account, they open up again.

With v10 the only solution seems to be to use the desktop client and the web client side by side.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can click on the arrow by Shortcuts to open up that list in the panel, thus gaining access to both lists at once

I just tested it again, shortcuts are entirely hidden when I access a notebook further down the list, I must first scroll the left pane up to make it visible again. That way the shortcuts are pretty much useless for me...

I have 278 notebooks btw

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

I have 278 notebooks btw

I don't have a problem finding notebooks - I gave my 399 notesbooks a 'unique' name by adding in a leading character.  Now in any multiple choice window I can type |Z (the prefix is a vertical bar character) to see a much shorter list of options.  Z (obvs) has only a few entries.  Where there are more I sometimes need ti type as many as three characters to get to my target.  |Ama forinstance gets "|Amazon" as the only option.  I never have to type the whole name,  so typos,  plurals and fat thumb misnamings are automatically excluded.

I appreciate you could't rename 278 notebooks overnight,  but a lot of folks here seem to be incensed that 1) Evernote had the temerity to change the specs on their  own products and/ or 2) they won't immediately change it back to the required option.  (Anyone here used to use Twitter? 😏)

I've said many (many) times before,  that Evernote won't usually comment in detail on any topice in this public forum / it's their ball,  so their game / and they're a big business - anyone asked Microsoft to change an Office feature lately?  Elon to bring the band board back together?

If and when Evernote do react to comments here,  it won't be soon.  The advent of a new management kicks that possibility even further down the road.

So:  I'm (reasonably) sure that no-one here things you - or anyone else - is wrong,  or that Evernote needs some sort of defence.  The situation we all find ourselves in however is,  what it is;  and it will not change soon

So we (ahem) 'gurus' - without any knowledge of your level of computer expertise,  your business processes or your hardware - are just suggesting work-arounds as possible options.  If they work for you,  we're glad.  If they don't work - we don't care

Your part of the equation is to decide whether to live with your current situation,  adopt a work-around that offers some degree of improvement,  or to find some other product that does more precisely what you want.

I will get my work done with string and sticky tape if that's all that's available - my 'customers' really do not care whether I failed to pay a subscription, or that the latest version of my software changed its layout.  Their simplistic view is that I failed (if I did) and I know that I can't badger a multinational company into making or reversing changes to its products in any reasonable length of time.  So I'll make the best of what I've got and find ways to paper over any cracks.

Use it or lose it folks!

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I don't have a problem finding notebooks

neither have I (what are you talking about?), are you just skimming posts instead of actually reading them?

The favorites are part of the left pane in Evernote v10 and hidden if I'm working with notebooks further down, urging me to scroll up everytime I wanna see the favorites again (whats the point of favorites if they aren't always visible so you can quickly click on them?)

renaming my notebooks won't change any of that, I don't have any issue with my notebook names and rarely search them as they're organized in stacks and I often need to quickly jump from notebook to notebook anyway, searching it by name everytime wouldn't be very practical

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

neither have I (what are you talking about?), are you just skimming posts instead of actually reading them?

I got from this comment that you needed access to shortcuts to find notebooks.

3 hours ago, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

shortcuts are entirely hidden when I access a notebook further down the list, I must first scroll the left pane up to make it visible again. That way the shortcuts are pretty much useless for me...

I have 278 notebooks btw

I do apologise for trying to be helpful...

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I got from this comment that you needed access to shortcuts to find notebooks

I've never said anything like this...?

As the name implies, I use shortcuts to quickly access important notes / notebooks that I often need during the day, one mouseclick and I'm there - thus shortcuts should always be visible to be useful. On Evernote v10 that's not the case anymore.

All my other notebooks are systematically organized in stacks and can be found by clicking on them in the left pane or by searching for them. I've no problem finding my notebooks or giving them a distinctive name.

• Level 5
On 2/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, AngryEvernotePremiumUser said:

I just tested it again, shortcuts are entirely hidden when I access a notebook further down the list, I must first scroll the left pane up to make it visible again. That way the shortcuts are pretty much useless for me...

I have 278 notebooks btw

Please look carefully at my suggestion: I'm not talking about scrolling the list of notebooks in the left panel, but about ...

On 2/22/2023 at 5:15 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

... if I click on Notebooks in the left panel to open the Notebooks list, it remains collapsed in the left panel itself, where I can click on the arrow by Shortcuts to open up that list in the panel, thus gaining access to both lists at once. Not as elegant as the shortcuts at the top, perhaps, but then only a limited number of shortcuts could appear in that space anyway, unless they had very short names.

I'm talking about opening out the separate Notebooks list panel, which leaves the left panel, including the Shortcuts list, visible as is. I can scroll to the bottom of my notebooks and still see my shortcuts.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm talking about opening out the separate Notebooks list panel, which leaves the left panel, including the Shortcuts list, visible as is. I can scroll to the bottom of my notebooks and still see my shortcuts

Ok, I got you now:

I leave the Notebooks in the left black column collapsed, I then click on "Notebooks", a list of all Notebooks opens in the right column. There I can click on the small arrows to expand the notebook stacks and finally be able to choose a notebook.

I appreciate your input and while this technically works it's far too cumbersome to be practical in any way. (I have to switch between dozens of notebooks during the day)