Copy Paste super inconsistent / Links automatically created interfere with productivity

I have to try many times to copy something and paste it elsewhere and sometimes I just give up. Every time I enter an IP or FQDN a link is created which is problematic for so many reasons and there is no way to turn off this behavior as most programs provide. I am moving to OneNote which has less functionality but the basics work well.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, brentdar said:

which is problematic for so many reasons

Hi.  Why?  If I want to write a web address,  I don't want to have to copy and paste it into a browser if I visit the page.  I'm very happy that www.evernote.com shows as a link.  And how does that relate to your title "Copy Paste super inconsistent" ?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On Mobile, there are some options for links in "Advanced editing".

On desktop it is a right mouse click, and "Remove Link". Or you use the keyboard shortcut shift-cmd/ctrl-K.

Hardly anything to rant about - on the contrary, getting an active link without a need to declare it is a service to the users.

If you don't like it, you can always send feedback or a support ticket.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I do find that it's possible to paste a URL and not get a link, if there is a punctuation mark directly after it. And, for me, I find this annoying--I want the link. Can you give some more details about the other problem:

3 hours ago, brentdar said:

I have to try many times to copy something and paste it elsewhere and sometimes I just give up.

There have been threads here about difficulties copying images from Evernote to paste elsewhere. Is that the issue?

Just that I can highlight text (like those annoying links) and when I move to a new location like in a browser it is 50/50 whether anything will actually be on the clipboard and transfer to the new location.

I shouldn't have to do anything extra when working with URLs and IP addresses, they should just be entered by default as plain text with no link. I document a lot of stuff that we don't want links ... we just want to document the FQDN or IP of something.

• Level 5

shouldn't ... should ... don't ... want ... just extracted the verbs, says enough.

Contact support, this is nothing your fellow users can solve for you. You are special, you are unique, you know exactly what you want, so go for it.

If a software serving 200 million users will be tailored after your personal demand is another question, but I think it is allowed to ask.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
21 hours ago, brentdar said:

Just that I can highlight text (like those annoying links) and when I move to a new location like in a browser it is 50/50 whether anything will actually be on the clipboard and transfer to the new location.

I shouldn't have to do anything extra when working with URLs and IP addresses, they should just be entered by default as plain text with no link. I document a lot of stuff that we don't want links ... we just want to document the FQDN or IP of something.

All I can say is that I'm not experiencing the problem with copying and pasting that you describe, particularly not when pasting a URL into a browser (if that's what you mean). So, agree that no one should have to do unnecessary extras; disagree that any one use case can define what is an "extra" for everyone. As I said, in v. 10 when I paste a URL and follow it immediately with punctuation--or at least with a period--I get no link. I have to type a space to get the link to appear, then cursor left and delete the space, then put in the period. (If I just backspace to delete the space, the link goes away too--might that be helpful for you?) So that's kind of a lot of extras to get a URL to turn into a link, as it should. IMHO, of course.

I won't bang my head against the wall on this any further. As stated I am migrating all my notes to OneNote because those sort of choices are available. I also don't have to pay for it. It's just going to be a lot of work because I have thousands of Evernote notes.

• 3 weeks later...