Missing sync button (and why)

Last week I updated from an Evernote 6 version to a 10 version. Over the past few days, I had run into it before when I thought for sure I had added or ticked off items on my to-do list in Evernote and a few hours later those changes were not there. Yesterday morning I had done my weekly server maintenance and some other stuff, ticked these items, added an item, moved it, in short, nothing exciting. 

This morning on my other PC (the home PC) I started Evernote and it's not the same... I added a small screenshot of both. As you can see, the 'scheermesjes' have indeed been moved on that PC; they where ticked off yesterday afternoon....

I can't find a sync button anywhere to force the synching myself, but apparently Evernote doesn't do it properly itself... It does say every time all changes have been saved, but they don't seem to arrive elsewhere. Not even when I restart Evernote on both computers, or even when I log out and log in again. And not even a message there are two different versions of my to-do-list.

The old version 6.xx did all this better 😉, probably because I synched it myself. Maybe the simple return of a sync button in the 10 version is the solution ?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Evernote 2.png

Evernote 1.png

Thanks for your help and this suggestion ! I discovered last night that the to-do list I had a problem with was precisely the only note (out of many) that could be edited offline (a local note). This offline note was probably not always syncing correctly as a result. I exported the note and then re-imported it. That ensures that everything is now synchronised excellently again, including with Evernote on my phone and chromebook. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Missing the sync button too in the new client. I used the manual sync very often in the legacy app.

Are there any explanations from Evernote why the sync button is no longer available?

• Level 5

Tried the new sync yet (provided you have it already, the rollout is staged) ?

Your mouse pointer will still be traveling to find the button, when sync is already done.

A button has gotten pointless.

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Tried the new sync yet (provided you have it already, the rollout is staged) ?

The new sync? Where can i find it in the new Windows client?

• Level 5

You get it automatically, EN says until the 5th of may.

You can try yourself: Open a note on 2 devices. When you open the second, if you see your avatar at the top, you have the new sync.

You can now edit on one device, and you will see the changes immediately on the other.

image.thumb.png.42f2cbf21e4d893de1e5128604e93256.png

EN calls it Collaborative Editing. It works as well between people on shared notes.

If you don’t see it, don’t try to edit. It would likely produce a conflict note with the old sync. The old sync always syncs the whole note - the new only syncs the changes, instantly.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You get it automatically, EN says until the 5th of may.

You can try yourself: Open a note on 2 devices. When you open the second, if you see your avatar at the top, you have the new sync.

You can now edit on one device, and you will see the changes immediately on the other.

image.thumb.png.42f2cbf21e4d893de1e5128604e93256.png

EN calls it Collaborative Editing. It works as well between people on shared notes.

If you don’t see it, don’t try to edit. It would likely produce a conflict note with the old sync. The old sync always syncs the whole note - the new only syncs the changes, instantly.

This is not the sync button the thread opener and i was talking about. The global sync button is missing in the new client. Why?

• Level 5

There is no sync button, there never was in v10, and it's not needed. It is not only not needed any more, it simply doesn't make no sense any more. With the rollout of the new sync, it is obsolete.

The new clients from the start used a different method to sync stuff. It was not without flaws, but these could not be solved with a sync button. The main issue were conflict notes, duplicates when different changes hit the server in reverted sequence. This happened because the clients always synced the whole notes, even when just a tiny section was edited.

The new sync only syncs these small sections.

If you want to do something, because taking action is so liberating, you can type shift- ctrl/cmd-R. This will create a "Forced Reload". Then you see something happening on the screen.

Else maybe you explain why you need a sync button ?!

28 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Else maybe you explain why you need a sync button ?!

In Legacy i used the sync button to make sure everything is synced for access on other devices before shutting down the computer.

In v10 this is not necessary anymore? Even not after executing bulk actions like deleting or editing tags?

Where can i read more about the new sync method used in v10?

• Evernote Expert

https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/

You can see what is working if you open a note on two devices at the same time.  You should see your avatar at the top of the note as @PinkElephant described earlier. This is evidence that both devices are connected to the sync-ed copy in the cloud.

The sync process that NOW exists in v10 is simply entirely different to what was in place with Legacy. For more detail see the additional tech comment at the end of the blog post. If you continue to use Legacy then the old sync approach is well advised.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, agsteele said:

You can see what is working if you open a note on two devices at the same time.  You should see your avatar at the top of the note as @PinkElephant described earlier. This is evidence that both devices are connected to the sync-ed copy in the cloud,

I just got it this evening. I tested by having a note open in my phone and the same one open in the Web client. Typing on one device I saw the words appear on the other almost simultaneously. Granted, I'm in an area with excellent connectivity. The tale in more remote areas remains to be told. And no, this is not something I'm likely to do very often at all. (I work alone. I don't even share household notes with my wife, who is not on Evernote.) But wow, it was fun to see, and to know that if for some reason I need to, I can.

• Like 3