Sort by Tags and Sort by Location

jess71

Idea

Please bring back being able to sort by tag!  Currently, without it, there isn't a way for me to find all notes that are "tag" that does not include other tags.  Also, without it I cannot sort by location, so I can see what tags might be in different locations.  There are so many ways I used sort by tag in the past.  I find it so frustrating and limiting on what I am able to do.  Filtering by tag does not at all accomplish the same thing.  Please bring back sort by tag and sort by location!

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

AFAIK there has not been any sort by location, at least not for a pretty long time. Second not all notes carry a location - only notes created with a mobile client that has GPS enabled and allows EN access to the GPS data carry location data. You can find these notes by using advanced search syntax, or better by the location search that is part of the Professional subscription.

About sort by tags, I am pretty sure you could solve your filtering issue by using boolean search. You can give it a try by subscribing for a month to a Professional subscription. If you catch a promotion, you might even be able to check within of the trial period free of charge.

You can then decide if it works, and is important enough for you to continue the subscription.

Confusingly, the EN top and side list view use "location" to mean "notebook".

image.png.6997076a34e1698ba433ab65f0d7cb38.png

While it may well be possible to use Boolean searches to find notes containing only one tag, it was easy enough to do it with a sort by tag after filtering for that one tag. Personally, I've not found any other search problem that I could not solve with the normal advanced search syntax, so I would be reluctant to upgrade  to the Professional tier just for this (and other benefits which I don't need).

• Like 1
On 2/11/2023 at 2:43 PM, jess71 said:

Currently, without it, there isn't a way for me to find all notes that are "tag" that does not include other tags. 

Using advanced search syntax that @Mike P mentioned, you can do this currently.

For example, this search:

image.png.1bebdbce3f859711a2b3323637e0199c.png

Will show all notes tagged with 'eb' as long as they also don't have the tag 'inbox'.

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040282613-Search-overview and https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax for more information.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Using advanced search syntax that @Mike P mentioned, you can do this currently.

For example, this search:

image.png.1bebdbce3f859711a2b3323637e0199c.png

Will show all notes tagged with 'eb' as long as they also don't have the tag 'inbox'.

Yes of course, but what @jess71and I want, using your example, is to find notes tagged with eb but no other tags. The other tag could be anything

tag:eb -tag:*

obviously doesn't work 

Thank you for that!  It helps, but not exactly what I would like to be able to do.  Sorting by tag in all notes and by each notebook was fast and simple.  I miss it!  I feel like my work flow has been hindered a great deal.

• Like 1

I am with Jess. Years ago I developed my tagging system along the lines of TWS to implement Getting Things Done (David Allen). The weekly review part of the method relies on being able to sort by tag. For example, for all Action Pending notes I assigned time order with 1-now, 2-soon, etc.; work location with @home, @worksite, etc.; and then project tags. When sorting a note list view by tag, I would get a display neatly sorted first by time order, second by work location, and third by project. Doing the review is just more klugey now.

Why did EN eliminate the sort by tag display option?  I'd like it back.

-Paul

I had been hopeful when this was bought. I had no idea that the sole purpose in taking it over was to break virtually every useful thing that we have all been relying on for over a decade. Channeling their inner google, I guess. Get out and never look back. Unless they want to reduce the price, restore functionality, and give a money back guarantee that they won't break it again.
Yeah- that'll work.

But even so, I guess I wouldn't trust them.

https://www.notion.so/

• Level 5

Wrong sequence:

First they nearly ruined the company by sticking for too long with the legacy code chaos.

Then they made a good turn by moving everything to one framework, and rebuild the ecosystem from scratch.

Only after that they failed to bring in the return, owners lost confidence and decided to sell out.

That’s where we are now. I really can’t blame the new owners that they want to see a return from a company that didn’t make any for years.

Part of this effort is to build an app that is useful for many users - not by taking the wish list of a small, sort of radical group of users as the absolute measure. These users will not be essential to turn the business around.

tl/dr: You can have an app that does most you want - or no app that did everything while it lasted.

Hint:TSW was developed when EN had no Tasks. Instead of sticking with the past, enterprising users would watch how to apply new possibilities to proven concepts.