Notes list - Full width

fredhammersmith
Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Idea

I tnink the three pane window we get when we display a notebook is not very helpful. We would need the capacity to enlarge the middle pane (the notes list) to the full width. We just do not see enough of the notes' titles to scroll efficiently through notes and find the one we want to access. Screenshot_20230211_093017_Evernote.thumb.jpg.e601fde9b96a571cf74cdb1e6f6636b0.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_093032_Evernote.jpg

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

As I already said, there is no tablet client. There is a mobile client, developed with phones in mind, and then mildly adapted to tablets. It is not a design choice, it is a presumably economical decision to make the EN mobile app with minimal devs input to open on a tablet without looking as if it was on a phone. Tablet use is not in the scope, which you can feel at every corner when using the app on a tablet (try on a real tablet for working like an iPad Pro, and you find more limitations, and more relevant ones than this side panel view thing).

You can reach EN to tell them you need a full notebook view on tablets, and maybe they will do something about it one day. Contact options are by feedback or support ticket.

• Level 5

You can send this request via feedback to EN PM, or issue a support ticket.

The mobile clients have not been designed with Tablets in mind. There are more deficits when using them on a tablet.

As an alternative try to switch your browser to desktop mode, and open the web client. It works on my iPads. You can even have it open in parallel to the mobile client (just beware of syncing issues by touching the same note on both).

• Evernote Expert

Also, I think that Evernote presumes a landscape view for tablets and desktop/laptops. I'd imagine that rotating your tablet into landscape might make the view easier to manage but, obviously, not what you would prefer.

47 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Also, I think that Evernote presumes a landscape view for tablets and desktop/laptops. I'd imagine that rotating your tablet into landscape might make the view easier to manage but, obviously, not what you would prefer.

Not what I prefer, and not very useful, because then you will see only 2 or 3 notes at the same time. A lot of scrolling. 

Screenshot_20230211_122504_Evernote.jpg

2 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

I tnink the three pane window we get when we display a notebook is not very helpful.

One thing to note is that this is specific to your particular device's size and/or resolution. I have a three pane window on my 11" iPad Pro and I think the display is pretty great there (in both landscape and portrait). So if you haven't already, I think it might be helpful to note your device and device size in your support ticket. (But I want to validate your post and say I think you have a good point with your particular tablet display size.)

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Also, I think that Evernote presumes a landscape view for tablets and desktop/laptops.

Evernote can actually work better in portrait mode on Desktop if you have a big enough monitor (which most monitors are pretty big these days) like this. I never run Evernote on my Desktop in full screen on my 27" monitors because it's too wide. I really liked this post:

• Level 5

The specs were in another thread about the subject. It’s an Android tablet, I think the screen may be a little less crisp than an iPads display*, but it should do.

(*) My mother has a Samsung tablet, and it is ok, but side by side with an iPad you notice the difference.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The specs were in another thread about the subject. It’s an Android tablet, I think the screen may be a little less crisp than an iPads display*, but it should do.

(*) My mother has a Samsung tablet, and it is ok, but side by side with an iPad you notice the difference.

5 hours ago, Boot17 said:

One thing to note is that this is specific to your particular device's size and/or resolution. I have a three pane window on my 11" iPad Pro and I think the display is pretty great there (in both landscape and portrait). So if you haven't already, I think it might be helpful to note your device and device size in your support ticket. (But I want to validate your post and say I think you have a good point with your particular tablet display size.)

Evernote can actually work better in portrait mode on Desktop if you have a big enough monitor (which most monitors are pretty big these days) like this. I never run Evernote on my Desktop in full screen on my 27" monitors because it's too wide. I really liked this post:

Yes, sorry, the specifics of my case:

Galaxy S6, so not the latest, but not old.

5.1 inches, diagonal (almost 13 cm).

From my pov, this is just a poor design choice. Nice to look at, not functional. The same way we can expand a note to fill the screen, we should be able to do the same for a note list. After all, tags lists and notebooks lists fill the screen. It is just the specific moment when we choose a notebook (or the notes panel) that we are stuck with a 3-panel view.

Edited by fredhammersmith
typos