Ability to select multiple notes with attachments and download to local computer

kennychua

Idea

I'm not sure if this is an important issue for a lot of folks. The reason I went with Evernote like a long time ago was the ability to use my ScanSnap and scan all my paperwork into 1 PDF per 1 Note. ScanSnap's naming convention is just a whole bunch of numbers.pdf. So what I'd do from there is to select all the notes created in Evernote and click on download attachments all at the same time to my local computer. Then I'd start naming them appropriately, for example, 2022-01-01 Tax Refund.pdf.

After I would do that, I will then reimport all the notes back into Evernote and each note has a more legible title and the pdf attached. That was my workflow for many many years.

When Evernote decided to revamp everything, this ability was lost. Downloading attachments can only be done like 1 note at a time. I usually scan all my paperwork once every month. So, there's a lot of notes to download and rename. Renaming the pdf is time consuming but worth it to me. But now, if I scanned 100 notes for that month, I'd have to download each pdf 1 by 1 a hundred times. Rename 100 notes and put it all back into Evernote.

This is the only reason I have not upgraded both my plan and the software and continue to use Evernote Legacy for both my Mac and PC. I've asked Evernote to put this feature back. I would think it would be a simple thing to do. I always get a respond that someone will check if they are planning to do it in the future road map. And no one ever tells me if it would come back or not.

Is this an unreasonable request? I can't be the only one having this workflow of digitizing all my paperwork?

Is there a work around? This was kinda how Evernote marketed themselves way back then with the ScanSnap and all. I'd like to know if this will be happening anytime soon and if not, I'd hate to download 10 years of paperwork and try to find another software that can do that.

Thanks!

8 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

A lot of us using ScanSnap scanners save the scans into an Import folder and prior to saving rename the file at that stage.  It then arrives in Evernote with the human readable name and the resulting note also gains a name that is intelligible.

As to whether you'll see the old way of doing things return, that I very much doubt.  This is one of those user experiences that you will, I fear, need to swap.  Actually the Import folder method is, in my view, at least as easy - possibly easier.  You can even have multiple import folders so that you can save into the relevant folder and then file directly into the associated notebook.

BTW, you can try out the import folder approach with the Windows Legacy software (It wasn't a feature MacOS under legacy).

Hi @agsteeleThat is a great! I'm not sure how come I did not think to do it that way!! I just have to modify the scansnap settings to scan to a folder instead to evernote. This workflow change, I can deal with!!! I appreciate your help in this..... sometimes when you've just done something for so long, you fail to be creative think outside the box. Thanks again!!

1 hour ago, kennychua said:

So what I'd do from there is to select all the notes created in Evernote and click on download attachments all at the same time to my local computer. Then I'd start naming them appropriately, for example, 2022-01-01 Tax Refund.pdf.

After I would do that, I will then reimport all the notes back into Evernote and each note has a more legible title and the pdf attached. That was my workflow for many many years.

Couldn't you just rename the PDF inside Evernote in the first place?

image.png.13433642e6f0542e3d5789ee186c8a09.png

image.png.524feff60a3a58dd0e95079494f1e232.png

image.png.1260971b00db907191be71c7009b9ee4.png

Oh thank you @agsteeleyou didn't have to do that, but thanks! Quick question while I have you, what software do you use to capture video recordings and the audio? I'm looking for a good one. Thanks!

@Boot17Wow, I have been using evernote for so long I didn't even know you could rename the attachment from the note!! Thanks again!!

I'm all good now. Thanks for all the methods!! I've been doing it the long way for so long!! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

+1 for Import Folders - I use it with my ix500. One additional advantage is that I run OCR on the new pdf before I import. This creates a text layer that will be available even outside of EN. The EN OCR only works inside of EN.

To grab a screen recording I simply use the build in tools on the Mac or iOS. They can grab a spoken comment as well - I don’t need more.