Can't Save PDFs to Evernote after update to 7.3

I use webclipper to save business receipts and invoices to Evernote notebooks. I use Gmail and Google Chrome. Previously, I was able to open a PDF attachment from an email in GMAIL that was sent by a vendor, and hit the print button to open the PDF in Google Chrome's PDF viewer, then use webclipper to save the entire PDF. I was able to change the name of the file and choose the notebook to save it to. Now, after the update, webclipper is unresponsive when viewing the PDF. I have not been able to figure out how to save a PDF email attachment to Evernote so I can keep record of my business receipts.  I don't want a link to the PDF, I want to save the actual PDF itself. This is the only task I use Evernote for. I would love to figure out how I can save PDFs to my Evernote notebook since the way I have been doing it for the last 3 years no longer works. It worked until last week. Now it doesn't :(

• Evernote Expert

I've never seen the function you describe but I may not have been looking ;)

What I'd do is create an import folder linked to my receipts notebook. When the PDF is open I'd save it into that import folder and Evernote will import it into the chosen notebook.

This is a screen capture of a PDF being viewed in Chrome with the Evernote Webclipper icon on the right side of the page as well as the Webclipper Extension. Both used to work in saving the PDF directly into an Evernote Notebook. It was very simple and easy.

Capture Clip.JPG

• Like 1
On 2/6/2023 at 4:57 PM, C D M said:

I use webclipper to save business receipts and invoices to Evernote notebooks. I use Gmail and Google Chrome. Previously, I was able to open a PDF attachment from an email in GMAIL that was sent by a vendor, and hit the print button to open the PDF in Google Chrome's PDF viewer, then use webclipper to save the entire PDF. I was able to change the name of the file and choose the notebook to save it to. Now, after the update, webclipper is unresponsive when viewing the PDF. I have not been able to figure out how to save a PDF email attachment to Evernote so I can keep record of my business receipts.  I don't want a link to the PDF, I want to save the actual PDF itself. This is the only task I use Evernote for. I would love to figure out how I can save PDFs to my Evernote notebook since the way I have been doing it for the last 3 years no longer works. It worked until last week. Now it doesn't :(

I can reproduce this. I just forced an extension update to 7.30.2, and it's not yet fixed. I imagine this is a bug that will hopefully be ironed out quickly.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  As someone who's still on 7.29,  how did you 'force' an update?  (Asking for a friend...)

Navigate in Chrome to chrome://extensions. Activate Developer mode in the top-right corner. Wait a moment (or two), and (possibly optional) refresh the page.  At the top a bar should appear with an "Update" button. Click the button to update all extensions.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Update through the extensions settings / menu ?

If this doesn't work, uninstall the extension and install it again.

I'm not aware of a way to update through the extension settings. An uninstall/reinstall probably works as well for anyone who doesn't want to muck around with the above settings (though it's really quite easy once you do it).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Navigate in Chrome to chrome://extensions.

Thanks for that - just a note for Edge users (my current browser-of-choice) - if you go to 'extensions' in Edge and update,  you'll get Clipper 7.29 as the latest option.  However Edge shows my extensions as coming from "the Microsoft Edge Add-on Store" and has recently added an option:  "Can't find what you're looking for? You can also get extensions from the Chrome Web Store." and if you search for Clipper there,  you'll find 7.30.2 <sigh>.  I removed 7.29 and 'added' 7.30 to update.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, agsteele said:

I've never seen the function you describe but I may not have been looking ;)

What I'd do is create an import folder linked to my receipts notebook. When the PDF is open I'd save it into that import folder and Evernote will import it into the chosen notebook.

How do you create import folders on windows? I found some instructions in the help section on Evernote's website but they are obsolete and no longer appear to be applicable to the current software version. Thank you!

54 minutes ago, agsteele said:

The configuration for import folders is in the settings area on the desktop applications.

A quick use of my favourite search engine took me to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004967-Create-import-folders

Ok so its desktop only? That doesn't help me much unfortunately. I use multiple computers at home and at work which forces me to rely on the web app.

• 2 weeks later...

This still seems to be an issue (I am currently on 7.30.2), windows, chrome. 

Except, as well as unresponsiveness I also get an unknown error occurring. 

Here is the log of that if useful:

2023\2\27 11:27:02 LOG: Device Info Object:{"client":{"type":"browser","name":"Chrome","version":"110.0","engine":"Blink","engineVersion":""},"os":{"name":"Windows","version":"10.0","platform":"x64"},"device":{"type":"desktop","brand":"","model":""},"bot":null} 
2023\2\27 11:27:04 LOG: Capturing content with pdf 
2023\2\27 11:27:04 LOG: Captured content, length:  201 
2023\2\27 11:27:04 ERR: Could not clip the page 
Error: Invalid response  
Error: Invalid response
    at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/ServiceWorkerExtension.js:2:1750277
    at chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/ServiceWorkerExtension.js:2:1750308
    at ny (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/ServiceWorkerExtension.js:2:1750405)
    at async sy.evaluateResourceSizeLimitForNote (chrome-extension://pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc/ServiceWorkerExtension.js:2:1750889) 
2023\2\27 11:27:04 ERR: Channel: Message 'tabClipper.clip' failed with error: UNK/UNK 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Nickbarrow said:

Except, as well as unresponsiveness I also get an unknown error occurring. 

Hi.  I'm saving PDF files without any issues so far,  using the same Clipper version.  If you can,  please share the URL of any page where you have a problem.  We're mostly other users here,  so the log isn't much use,  but if you are a subscriber I'd suggest you contact Support and send them the details.

7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'm saving PDF files without any issues so far,  using the same Clipper version.  If you can,  please share the URL of any page where you have a problem.  We're mostly other users here,  so the log isn't much use,  but if you are a subscriber I'd suggest you contact Support and send them the details.

As I mentioned above thread, I've been unable to clip pdfs for about three weeks on Google Chrome for Mac. Here's an example using a publicly available pdf:

https://www.energy.gov/eere/buildings/articles/residential-cold-climate-heat-pump-technology-challenge-fact-sheet

On the above pdf page, clicking the Evernote icon on the browser does nothing. Right-clicking on the icon gives me the option to capture the page, screenshot, or bookmark. Choosing the "capture the page" option does not save the pdf.

Edit: Firefox for Mac also does not work. On Firefox I get an error message asking me to reload the page, which doesn't help.

36 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

I can cofirm this. Clicking either the EN webclipper icon in the toobar or the one that appears next to the text of the document has no response.

Messing about a bit (just refreshing the page and inspecting the page) led to the option of clipping the pdf reappearing on right click but when I did so I got

image.png.52d48c642d658bc70f9c77efdcf22053.png

Web clipper Version: 7.30.2.454-36a06c7 on Chrome Version 110.0.5481.178 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I recently switched from Edge (based on Chrome) -where this [I thought] was working,  to Vivaldi (also Chrome) where it definitely is not.  Also enjoying some generalised sync / import folder / clipper / overheating issues at the moment across 10.53.2,  Legacy and Android 10.48.  Beginning to feel a little overheated myself... 🥵