Globally change default fonts

ReallyTallLeprechaun

Idea

16 replies to this idea

I am searching for this info / feature too

whether it makes sense or not, I can’t find the existing thread - yet…

I really really want to set global fonts and size - it’s an accessibility issue too

please add again to Mac and iOS apps

thank you

mana

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, agsteele said:

There are several methods of achieving this

OK - but I hope you agree (at least once 😉) that this a very hard workaround for a single (lost) option in settings...

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It makes no sense to drop the next „new“ thread about an user request that has already  been requested before.

You can use forum search and add your vote and voice there.

Beside this you don’t add any new aspect to those that have already been posted.

In especially you don’t explain at all why you NEED this ability. This argument for itself sounds very hollow, given the fact that the new app is now more than 2 years and 50 release cycles older than it has been when the new editor was launched. Doesn’t seem to be THAT killer feature after all.

Hint: I am not opposed to such a global setting. I think the most striking argument is the physical NEED for some people to set a generally enlarged font - a question of accessibility. This explains it pretty well, opposite to your stated NEED that in fact seems more to be a WANT.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, manawaite said:

I am searching for this info / feature too

whether it makes sense or not, I can’t find the existing thread - yet…

Here are several existing threads about feature requests to set the default font size and you can upvote several of them:

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

There are several methods of achieving this with what we might term a 'template'.

Create a blank note and adjust the formatting to your desires.

1. Save that as a personal template into the Evernote Templates. Start all new notes from that Template.

2. Export the note as an ENEX file and save it on your computer. To start a new note with your formatting double click the ENEX and start a new note

Or 3. Create your own Templates notebook and save the note there. You can duplicate that note each time you want to start a new note.

• Evernote Expert

😁 I'm not denying that what was once available is now lost. The reasons for the changes have been well rehearsed. However, I'm attempting to point to ways of achieving, now, what is wanted.  Even if the developers at Evernote were to decide, today, to restore some or all of this function I doubt it would return in 2023 so I'd need a workaround until then. It would likely be longer.

If a user needs this feature then, by all means, vote or advocate for it. In the meantime I offer these imperfect ways around. 😉

• Like 1
On 3/1/2023 at 12:35 PM, agsteele said:

If a user needs this feature then, by all means, vote or advocate for it.

Sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow - but how do you vote for a feature? I know the feature-voting from Atlassian - but can't find anything like that here ...?

• Evernote Expert

Find the thread discussing the issue you are wanting to add your vote to, scroll to the very to and click on the up arrow. This thread currently has zero votes.

Please note, however, that votes are only an indication of interest and not a means of adding your voice directly to a poll to Evernote.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, agsteele said:

1. Save that as a personal template into the Evernote Templates. Start all new notes from that Template.

Thank you for this workaround. Can you please explain how I add a personal template in the section "Empfohlene Vorlagen" (in English maybe: "Recomended Templates" when you open a new note. I was only able to adress a personal template by "Galerie öffnen" (open gallery?)  and switching to "Eigene Vorlagen" (personal templates?) register.

And thank you very much for your answer regarding voting.

• Level 5

You can’t save an own template in the recommended templates section. This is a shortcoming, resulting in a multi click process to assign an own template to a new note.

Personally I prefer to save a note with all the changes, pin it to the shortcuts section and duplicate it instead of creating a new note. It leads to the same result as assigning a template.

The best solution would be a global setting for the standard text style.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, agsteele said:

Create a blank note and adjust the formatting to your desires.

Unfortunately even this workaround don't work....

@PinkElephant Thank you for another workaround. At least this one works. But quite a laborious journey for a task that could be accomplished so much easier 😞

>The best solution would be a global setting for the standard text style.

So true - and so sad Evernote is not willing to integrate a feature other Texteditors integrated 40 years ago, even in DOS-Times ...

I can - not wysiwyg, but in Informix SmartWare you could assign different colors for each style (16 colors afair) - in case you had a monitor that could display these colors 😄

• Level 5

And where is Informix whatsoever today ? Seems it didn’t help them much to survive.

Personally I think they should allow a setting of the standard font by the user, especially the size - but mainly for accessibility reasons. People have different eyesight, and different equipment hitch makes any fixed setting as we have it today serve the middle of the bell curve. People at the edges have a hard time with it.

No, not for accessibility reasons. I want the font I want. Sans serif is a poor body type. Size matters. Who is the programmer who gets to pick the default font for all of us? Is he a font expert? Clearly not. It's almost beyond belief that Evernote keeps adding more and more features, when they can't manage to let us manage our own fonts on every platform. For this feature alone, I am shopping alternatives.