"Require Passcode" Setting Keeps Disabling Itself

I have had the Evernote Android app set to "Require Passcode" for years.  Very occasionally, I would launch Evernote, and the passcode would NOT be required!  (Very bad!)  When I would go to settings, I would see that the slider for "Require Passcode" was OFF.  This was not something I did.  It just happened.  Whenever this would occur, I would turn "Require Passcode" back on (I also turn on "Unlock with Biometrics") and everything would be fine -- until the next time it would happen.

This just happened a few days ago, and I turned the settings back on.  But now, it just happened again!  I have never had it happen within just a few days.  Don;t know if this will become more frequent now, for some reason.  This was always annoying, and dangerous -- since I would not count on the fact that someone with my phone would be required to enter a Passcode!

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is there some sort of fix, or is this a bug in the code?  If the latter, please refer this to the developers for a fix.

Currently running Android version 10 on a Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960U1), but I believe this problem pre-dates Android 10.

Thanks!

• Evernote Expert

Hi @SteveK_NY, Welcome to the forums and for your first post.

I've never seen reports of the issue you describe but I'm not sure that I know of anyone who requires a passcode.

You should probably open a support ticket since these forums are mostly users supporting users. Evernote staff are only here infrequently.

• Level 5

Just a little detail: Whatever the outcome, if the information posted here is correct (Android 10, EN v10 for Android), it can’t predate Android 10. 

EN v10 needs as a minimum Android 10, it won’t run on Android 9 or below.

Will be interesting what support tells. My first question would be if the app got updated before the changed setting was observed.

Thanks.  My initial intention was to open a support ticket, but it didn't seem like that was an option without a paid subscription to Evernote.  It seemed like this forum was the only option for free accounts.

On the page https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=176617 it provides 3 options: talking to the community (which is what I clicked on), chat, and email.  However, both chat and e-mail say they require an upgrade, and are grayed out for me.  😞

@PinkElephant, I am not aware of a connection between an update to the app and the occurrence of this problem, although my apps update automatically, so I wouldn't necessary be aware.  It's an interesting theory.  That said, updates to apps should maintain all existing settings -- especially those that involve security.

Thanks again for the input!

Evernote.jpg

• Level 5

My question was not if it is good when an update would change existing settings (which of course would not be the case).

My question was if that may have happened, just in case it might have been observed.

And yes, support is for paying users only. In this case the activity log may play a pivotal role in checking what may have happened. It makes no sense that another user issues a ticket, without such a log file.

Right.  I didn't mean to imply that you were endorsing the idea that it was OK for an update to change/erase existing configuration settings, and I apologize if it came across that way.

The comment was really intended for any hypothetical Evernote developer who might one day stumble upon this string, or perhaps to help them flag this issue if they're using some sort of algorithm to monitor these posts.

I totally understand the concept of a company charging for user support, especially if the product itself is free.  However, I don't see a potential bug report as being in the same category.  Software developers should *want* (and appreciate) any and all feedback about their product, including bug reports.  It's in their best interest to receive such information, so that they can make their product better.  There are many other free products that not only *allow* such user feedback, but *encourage* it.  Evernote should, too. 

If they don't want to allow e-mail submission of bug reports, then perhaps there should at least be a separate topic choice when submitting a new Community thread, indicating a bug report.  And maybe that one area *should* be regularly monitored by Evernote staff.  Just a suggestion to them.

I do very much appreciate the help and suggestions!

• Level 5

There are different strategies to support - some use a forum altogether, some ask for email, some use a support application like Zendesk.

Personally I have not found a difference in the results.

EN has a high percentage of free users (which speaks for a Free plan that allows to use it indefinitely, within technical limits) - so probably they need to restrict access. The alternative would be to make everybody accept long response time - not good either. Since all clients are the same, any relevant bug will show with subscribers as well as with Free users. From the point of view of getting enough feedback there is no need to let anybody send tickets.

What is open for all users is the feedback function.

• 5 months later...

I am using the free version of Evernote (Android) and after the last update, the passcode option in Evernote has disappeared.  I want the extra security of a pin code because I am ALWAYS getting text messages about my Evernote verification code.  This tells me people are trying to hack my account.

• Thanks 1