Automatic note link across all notes?

Go to solution Solved by iBertje,

There may be an answer to this already; I just wasn't sure how to word it, and every way I've attempted to word it, I couldn't find an answer. 

With that in mind, is there a way to make a specific word a permeant note link? 

I'm taking notes in a psychology class, and specific phrases pop up often. I want them to link with each other automatically. I mean having a specific word (or set of words) that automatically links to a particular note. 

For example: 

On one note, I'm discussing reliability vs. validity. In that note, there are several instances where "sampling bias" comes up. I want "sampling bias" to be automatically linked to my note, "various biases to be aware of." This note will contain every single bias I need to know about. 

So every time I type "sampling bias," regardless of which note, I want it to link back to that list of biases note. 

Is there any way to do this?

• Evernote Expert

If you create your note called Sampling Bias you can then paste in the internal app link to that note. It will appear pasted as the note title. But it will prove to be relatively tedious. There is no markdown code such as you might use in a wiki.

11 hours ago, bbois17 said:

There may be an answer to this already; I just wasn't sure how to word it, and every way I've attempted to word it, I couldn't find an answer. 

With that in mind, is there a way to make a specific word a permeant note link? 

I'm taking notes in a psychology class, and specific phrases pop up often. I want them to link with each other automatically. I mean having a specific word (or set of words) that automatically links to a particular note. 

For example: 

On one note, I'm discussing reliability vs. validity. In that note, there are several instances where "sampling bias" comes up. I want "sampling bias" to be automatically linked to my note, "various biases to be aware of." This note will contain every single bias I need to know about. 

So every time I type "sampling bias," regardless of which note, I want it to link back to that list of biases note. 

Is there any way to do this?

It's not very clear in which direction you would like to link: do you want links in your central note to all other related notes, or do you want to link from each other related note to that central one?

There are several ways to add links, but in this case you may put your central note(s) in your favorites. Then every time you need to link to this central note, you just drag it from the favorites in the note you are editing. In your central note you will see the backlinks to all the notes that have linked to this one.

You find the favorites in the left toolbar, the star beneath the home icon.

• Like 2

Building on @eric99's idea you could

• copy the app link for the central note
  • highlight the relevant text in the note
  • Press Ctrl+K 
  • Paste in the link

For external weblinks you can highlight text and paste the weblink directly and it automatically adds the link to the text. EN, for whatever reason, haven't introduced that for internal links so there is the extra Ctrl+K step. You could put the central note link at the top of the note for reference but, unless I'm missing something,  it's actually a remarkably large number of steps to extract the app link from a link in a note - just copying it copies the text so you need to edit it, go to  the link field and copy.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

Building on @eric99's idea you could

• copy the app link for the central note
  • highlight the relevant text in the note
  • Press Ctrl+K 
  • Paste in the link

For external weblinks you can highlight text and paste the weblink directly and it automatically adds the link to the text. EN, for whatever reason, haven't introduced that for internal links so there is the extra Ctrl+K step. You could put the central note link at the top of the note for reference but, unless I'm missing something,  it's actually a remarkably large number of steps to extract the app link from a link in a note - just copying it copies the text so you need to edit it, go to  the link field and copy.

Yes, you may hide the actual note link behind a specific text, but in this case it's probably easier to give the central note a proper title avoiding this large number of steps each time a link will be made?

2 hours ago, iBertje said:

You could use a tool like textexpander, make a snippet for that word with a link to the specific note, that way you only have to link it once and it happens automatically afterwards

While I appreciate everyone else's answers, this is exactly what I was looking for. It'd be nice if there was a way to do this natively in EN, but this absolutely works for my purpose. Thanks for the help and thanks for showing me such a useful application!

• Like 3
8 hours ago, bbois17 said:

While I appreciate everyone else's answers, this is exactly what I was looking for. It'd be nice if there was a way to do this natively in EN, but this absolutely works for my purpose. Thanks for the help and thanks for showing me such a useful application!

Glad you have got a solution. Unfortunately, while markdown style links - [title](https://www.example.com) - work in EN for URLs, they don't work for EN links. That would have made the job even easier.

11 hours ago, bbois17 said:

You’re welcome! I use it daily to do this kind of stuff.

Good luck with the studies!

Here's just another idea: For such kind of knowledge collections, I use tags. If you us a tag "biases", just mark all notes that describe any biase with this tag. This will have the following advantages:

• It's very easy to retrieve a list of these notes dynamically by searching for all notes with "tag:biases"
  • You can sort this list easily be clicking on the fields of the note list
  • You narrow down this list by further search options
  • It's very easy to correct mistakes: simply remove a tag from the note 😉
  • If you have to work with a specific set of collected notes, you mark them in the note list and paste the internal links to the notes to a new note.
  • ... <list can be extended as long as you want - just play with the tags for some reasonable time...>
  • Like 1