Suddenly having significant keyboard lagging issues on ipad 8, no memory shortage issues

This occurs on latest version of evernote on ipad os 16.3.

every keyboard character touch take a long time to show on screen with significant lagging in the characters appearing on the screen, only occurs on evernote app

i tried rebooting ipad, did not help

• Like 1

I spoke with Apple Support, they suggested I resetting my ipad, it did not help, the second level support suggested I re-install the app it did not help,

However, while testing I realized I had this issue of lagging keyboard ONLY on my most recent note, which was a 10 liner note, on my older notes the keyboard worked fine with no lagging.

Does this additional piece of information help with figuring out the root cause?

• Level 5

In the forum are just other users.

To talk to support you need a support ticket.

Just as a question: Has the note you mention already synced to the server ? If not it will show a green triangle in the upper right corner in the notes list.

• 2 months later...

Having the same issue on an iPad Pro 12.9 inch 1st Generation.  All my notes are synced and I have disabled all editing functions (settings/notes/advanced editing). Doesn't matter if I'm on- or offline. It also happens when you edit an existing note although it seems a little bit faster.

It happens right from the start when a note is created. Just typing plain text. The lag is about 1-5s per character. Slower in the beginning and somewhat faster at the end.

I'm on version 10.50.1

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of migrating off Evernote after more than 12+ years because of this issue, I finally figured it out.   There is a corrupt note somewhere in my inventory of notebooks.   I manually exported all my notebooks to .enex format so they could easily be imported back.  I then manually did a bulk select all in each notebook to export the notes in .html format so I could import them into Google Docs which is not a great solution but worth it to resolve the keyboard latency issues in my Evernote setup.   After confirming that my notes were available in Google Docs, I started deleting my notebooks in Evernote.   With only ~5 notebooks remaining in Evernote I decided to see if the latency issue had resolved itself and much to my delight, it is gone.   ISSUE RESOLVED!

I would be willing to work with Evernote support to identify where the corrupt notebook/file exists so they could solve this problem for others.

You can likely fix the issue by exporting your notebooks to .enex format.  I would try 10-20% at a time, then delete those notebooks.  Within a few tries you should be able to identify which notebook has the corrupt file.   Good luck.

• Level 5

Thanks for sharing. Usually the corrupted notes only exist in the local database, not on the server.

This is why completely deleting the app usually works to fix a problem on iOS. So log out of the account, quit the app, delete the app, „Dump all Data“ when asked. To make sure everything is gone, an iOS device should be force restarted after deleting the app. This will wipe the RAM memory as well.

When the device is back on, install fresh from the AppStore. Open the app, log into our account. And now let the app open and in the foreground, while the initial download takes place. This is not the offline download, but the regular build up of the local database from the server.

This is for iOS. On a Mac, the regular Uninstaller won’t do the job. Here a tool like AppCleaner is needed to really purge all parts of the program.

• Thanks 1

@PinkElephant have deleted EN according your instructions. There is some improvement noticeable. Lag decreases to approx. 1-2 seconds per typed character. Sometimes the lag is much larger and than suddenly accelerates and showing all the characters already typed from the memory.

Dictating via Siri is ok. Words appear at a good rate when dictating. So problem is only with input via the keyboard. Two keyboards installed (US+NL). Problems is on both and the lag is about the same. Looks like EN is checking something in the background when typing via the keyboard. Being on- or offline doesn't matter

Have disabled all the features in iOS for the keyboard (check spelling, shortcuts, predictive, smart punctuation etc. etc.) and disabled also all advanced editing options in EN. Nothing however seems to improve the speed. 

Typing in text in all other programs on my iPad via the keyboard is at a normal rate. Also typing in text in other areas within EN is ok. (i.e. search bar) but also type text in editing a link is at normal speed. So the problem seems to exist only while editing specifically a note in EN and only when giving input via the keyboard. 

Edited by Rob de Vries
  • 4 weeks later...

With the latest structural changes from EN how it syncs notes (available to all users since May 5th see https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-pricing-upcoming-features-update/) also this problem of significant keyboard lagging has magically disappeared. All works fine now.

It's now even possible to have real time collaborative editing !

So the problem did lie on the back end of how EN synced its notes with the server. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Good it sorted itself out.

Never had such a lag. Even on an iPad Air 2 from 2014, EN was always usable. There was a lag compared to newer devices, but more noticeable than measurable. Maybe it's related to the internet connection. I am usually on a fast Gigabit network.

RTE is a game changer, because it moves from syncing full notes to syncing little chunks of data only.