Chrome Webclipper 7.30.0 (Updated 1/30/23) Not Working

KAGS
Go to solution Solved by KAGS,

I tried using the Webclipper today after using it yesterday with no issues (and have been using it for YEARS without issues), only to find that the Webclipper is now flat out busted for me. This means that after clicking on the button, the clipper window fails to display, hangs indefinitely, or displays with no functionality (i.e., no selections appear to be working).

A few others seem to be having this issue on the Chrome Extension store page for the Webclipper as well.

Have tried uninstalling then reinstalling the extension, as well as restarting Chrome, but the issue remains.

• Like 4

Same here ... worked flawlessly for years, now completely broken.

Updated permissions, uninstalled, re-installed, etc... nothing helps.

Needs to be resolved quickly otherwise this might have to go on the pile of "I used to use ...".

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 1/31/2023 at 10:09 PM, PinkElephant said:

... For bug reports issue a support ticket.

Even if repeating myself is technically against forum rules, I can only invite you to contact support.

7.30 was very recently released, the feedback about it in the forum is mostly positive (solved a problem with Wikipedia, has option to set Tasks on a clip, shows related notes again etc.).

This means that all these users could install and use it without encountering issues. Conclusion: There must be a hidden additional factor where it doesn’t work.

• Solution

Interestingly, the webclipper works fine on a spare laptop I have lying around. That inspired me to keep trying to troubleshoot. Not sure exactly what did the trick, but I reinstalled the webclipper extension (yet again), cleared cookies, closed out of Chrome, and restarted my computer for good measure, and the clipper appears to be working on my main computer again. So hopefully that sequence of actions can help others out.

• Like 1

I also noticed that webclipper has some new bugs. For example, it no longer saves pictures embedded in some National Weather Service pages. If you try to do a screen clip, the white clip area no longer follows the crosshairs, and the final clip isn't even the same as the white area. I have the latest version of Evernote, and I rebooted my PC, but the problem continues.

• Like 1

I should clarify--my web clipper is working, but the most valuable feature for me, clicking the little circle to save a PDF is not working.  I click it and nothing happens, and once when I was clicking it last night, it appeared to be trying to do something, but not the correct thing :). Namely, I was trying to save a PDF from Quickbooks Online, and when I clicked the circle, a green highlight appeared around the main Quickbooks page. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

This button has worked before not always reliably. When it happened to me, I could condense it to some pages / websites where it was not working.

Using the „Print page“ option to print the content, and then „Print to pdf“ to create another pdf file worked. Often the pdf could be downloaded with a right click on the pdf document to the Downloads folder as well.

Not working for me anymore since updated to the 7.30 version, I am  using a chrome based browser. 
Sometimes it clips but many times it doesn't, even after reloading the page several times. the simple page clips, many times doesn't give me a satisfactory layout in the clip anymore. Used to be better. PDF hasn't worked for a while, in fact today I noticed the pdf option is missing now.
I have two Evernote accounts, one I use predominantly for recipes, so I like to log out and log in to my other account to clip to the proper account, used to work flawlessly even tough I wished they could let us switch the accounts just like we can do on the app, since the update it won't let me log out. The log out button doesn't work at all. I have to de-install the extension, install it again to log into my other account. I tried clearing the cookies after de-install and it did not change the problems. I need the clipper to work, it's the main point of having the note app. Please fix it, I am a paying, heavy, long-term user. 

I got the pdf button back after rebooting but still can't log out of the clipper to log into my other account. I can't just constantly re-install to use the clipper so this is a big detriment. The more they update the more everything get's unusable and that applies to almost every software, app etcetera. The way it's going I am soon going back to paper and pencil, that always worked ;) Making software ever fancier with the newest bells and whistles, isn't necessary making things more useful. I use the old legacy version for one of my accounts and that's working like a charm. I do not like the new version's layout and how it functions.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, diegartenfrau said:

I got the pdf button back after rebooting but still can't log out of the clipper to log into my other account. I can't just constantly re-install to use the clipper so this is a big detriment. The more they update the more everything get's unusable and that applies to almost every software, app etcetera. The way it's going I am soon going back to paper and pencil, that always worked ;) Making software ever fancier with the newest bells and whistles, isn't necessary making things more useful. I use the old legacy version for one of my accounts and that's working like a charm. I do not like the new version's layout and how it functions.

Love this comment!  Yes, and we have control over the pencil and paper!  I signed up for the discussion board on my personal account, but I'm a heavy user on my work account, and I have a REALLY old version on my Windows desktop at work...6.25!  Because it is simple and perfect, before even more graphics were added, and I just can't get over that there's not an option to make the sidebar white (right?) in newer versions.

• Haha 1

I haven't been much using the computer last week, frankly I wasted so much time trying to make the clipper work, I gave up. I have other things to do.
Interestingly today since I have been collecting tabs to clip, I had too many tabs open, so I reluctantly forced myself to just deal with the clipper. I really haven't done anything to it since.
First on my list was trying to log out and into my other account, at first it didn't seem to work but after a couple clicks it asked me for some permissions (didn't ask me that last week), which I reluctantly gave, having misgivings to give Evernote so much of my privacy ;) then it logged me into my other account. Next step was clipping, first it didn't work either, then I went through the options (more privacy violations I need to permit too) after reluctantly permitting these, reloaded the page and it proceeded to clip after another popup popped up asking another privacy giveaway, this pop up came up with every single tab I tried to clip. Not happy with these privacy issues. As soon another company bought Evernote seems like they want more of our data and I see that as a problem. There I set up my computer with all the privacy I desire and now I am supposed to give it all up to Evernote so they monetize my data? I am a paying user since 2012. With all that is going on in the internet world, hacking, phishing, etc. we need better privacy laws not worse. Not too happy about it and I can say if this doesn't change I may move my clipping and notes to another site, as soon I find one that serves my need. 

Screenshot_20230207_045112.png

• Evernote Expert

You'll be relieved to know that Evernote does not monetise your personal data. This is one of its major privacy commitments. The web clipper may need some access in order to perform the clip. If you don't accept the requested permission then uninstall the clipper.

You don't say which browser you're using nor which OS. In general I'd say that the Web Clipper usually installs and works seamlessly. If that isn't your experience uninstall the Clipper and reinstall. Since you subscribe you can open a support ticket. Link above.

• Level 5

This doesn’t look like a Web Clipper notification at all. This is likely coming from the browser and points to the browser security / privacy settings.

Usually an Extension is allowed to have this access for all websites, sometimes (by the user) not allowed on „privat“ browser windows etc. If the user doesn’t grant this authorization, he needs to allow this for every single website.

The web clipper only collects information when the user clips something, and it sends it to the same users account. Not giving it access is not logical if I want to use it.

It may well be that this denial of access rights is at the core of the „installation“ problems. It is not safe browsing to cut down access until things stop to work at all. 

Same issue here ... on a Chromebook, had not used Web Clipper in a few weeks, now on any website, and after all the usual gyrations such as uninstall and reinstall, reboot, etc., click the Elephant and nothing happens at all. I have noted this on the Chrome Webstore support page for Evernote Web Clipper. I had noted in a couple past years similar issues apparently after Web Clipper was updated and those obviously eventually worked themselves out so hopefully this can be fixed also. Thank you.

Same issue.  Uninstalling and reinstalling clipper did not help.  Chat help was an absolute joke.  Cleared cache, etc.  Uninstalled EN & clipper, restarted Macbook and reinstalled EN and clipper.  Now it works.  Thx, EN, for WASTING so much of my time and energy today.  So glad I'm a paying user.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BetzHack said:

Same issue.  Uninstalling and reinstalling clipper did not help.  Chat help was an absolute joke.  Cleared cache, etc.  Uninstalled EN & clipper, restarted Macbook and reinstalled EN and clipper.  Now it works.  Thx, EN, for WASTING so much of my time and energy today.  So glad I'm a paying user.

Does your PDF clipper work?

Funny that this issue is marked as "solved". For me the Evernote web clipper for Chrome on Windows still does nothing (clicking the icon does nothing at all). I did everything that was suggested in this thread, but without success.

The problem for me is really just the web clipper 7.30.0 and 7.30.2 (current version) for Chrome on Windows. It works perfectly in Firefox on Windows and in Chrome on macOS.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

The original poster will have marked the issue as solved. Presumably because it was for him/her.

You should probably open a support ticket for the web clipper after making one last uninstall/reinstall of the clipper. 

I've tried all the steps mentioned in this thread and the clipper (7.30.2) is still completely non-functional. Also the pdf clipping icon shows on pdfs , but it is also non-functional. I'm on the latest version of Chrome on MacOS. I've submitted a help ticket.

• Like 2

It seems web clipper release 7.30.2.454-36a06c7 (Edge Chromium) have some issues managing offline login in/out too.

Had to install and reinstall web clipper several times due to my company VPN where Evernote is capped. Each time I try to use web clipper from inside VPN can't use it, seems it is due to lack of user autentication/authorization. In consecuence can't clip any content when loged in company VPN.

Also when, even if I close my VPN connection, web clipper is unable to restore/regain autentication/authorization due this user login issues.

All of that resulting in offline mode not working as did before (creating an offline note that's uploaded when Evernote servers can be reached again). It is a great feature losed with update, I hope webb clipper team restore it. In my case, it is a basic and critical feature as I can't use Evernote without offline clipping and noting.

Hope the issue description can help to focus those issues and development team can work in order to restore offline features.

• Like 1

For me it was related to the version of Chrome. The current version of Evernote web clipper seems to need a newer version of Chrome to work. After Chrome was updated for me it worked again. Same goes for Edge. So there must have been a fundamental change in the chromium basis for extensions. If you are not able to update Chrome as it is often the case in companies then you are out of luck.

• Like 1
hace 22 horas, Matt_SP dijo:

It seems web clipper release 7.30.2.454-36a06c7 (Edge Chromium) have some issues managing offline login in/out too.

Had to install and reinstall web clipper several times due to my company VPN where Evernote is capped. Each time I try to use web clipper from inside VPN can't use it, seems it is due to lack of user autentication/authorization. In consecuence can't clip any content when loged in company VPN.

Also when, even if I close my VPN connection, web clipper is unable to restore/regain autentication/authorization due this user login issues.

All of that resulting in offline mode not working as did before (creating an offline note that's uploaded when Evernote servers can be reached again). It is a great feature losed with update, I hope webb clipper team restore it. In my case, it is a basic and critical feature as I can't use Evernote without offline clipping and noting.

Hope the issue description can help to focus those issues and development team can work in order to restore offline features.

Update to my post

The problem is not related to web clipper only, I'm using Evernote Windows Store app 10.53.2-win-winstore-public (396) and this app version seems to have the same problems managing offline content. Every note I update from inside my company VPN -remember Evernote is capped there- is not updated on the next App start. It is updated while you maintain opened the app but if exited, when started again the notes/modifications are not available. I've had even a case of app notifiying 2 versions of the same note after offline modifications (appeared after few hours I bet).

To get last modifications you're forced to close Evernote, exit from VPN and restart Evernote, when you do that all notes and modifications are available as they should be.

There is a problem managing offline content in last web clipper and Windows store apps. Hope it can be solved soon... working behind companies VPNs (or offline for whatever reason) can be a nightmare for Evernote users until then.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hmmm - you have the problem on your company VPN, but attribute it to EN ?

I think it is the VPN environment that is restricting information exchange here. It likely is not only a VPN, it will run data traffic through a Firewall as well. Firewalls are set up today following the concept of „narrowly allow what’s permitted, block everything else“. If this is set up tightly, it can block authentication traffic, or any other traffic.

The problem you report can be caused by a change in the Firewall settings. Either somebody decided to tighten rules up. Or they received a new setup file from the firewall vendor.

Usually IT will test it again the apps authorized by the company. If it works, they will enforce the rules, no matter if privately used apps will stop working.

If I am correct, you are barking up the wrong tree. Everything fine with EN, it just is not allowed to work correctly under your company network rules.

I wouldn’t generalize this specific problem you encounter on your companies VPN - I run EN through VPN connections without a problem. 

Have been having problems with Clipper for over a week.  I've updated both Evernote, Evernote Clipper and Chrome with hopes that would fix the problem but still get no response with I try to open Clipper.  I have removed Clipper, restored it, cleared Chrome and rebooted system with no success.  I have also disabled VPN in the thought that might be an issue.  Looking forward to having this matter corrected.

• Like 3

As far I know, Evernote always have been runing smoothly behind VPN or offline, I'm not new using it, I've been with it for years (> 650 technical notes, 1st note taken Oct 17 202), dozens of them while offline. Never had problems until now, either behind VPN (wich I'm using with Evernote capped for at leas 3 years now) or simply by taking notes without internet connection. Even web clipper could, a few weeks ago, be able to take notes while behind VPN and leaving them in caché, when Evernote servers where reachable again the notes/clipped content got synchronized.

Can it be my company VPN, yes it can. Then I just need confirmation that I'm wrong and EN never worked offline or behind VPN, may be from EN Team or anybody here who can -and want- confirm it.

My main concern is that EN had retired offline features and capabilities, if it is a version issue it will be solved and that's why I people write on a forum not to barking up trees, aren't you?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I am not talking about a VPN in general. I am talking about a corporate VPN here, which usually is working together with a firewall to protect the company network against intrusion. The VPN usually is not causing the problem, it is the network protection. Since Ransomware attacks cause billions of damages, companies get stricter (= better) in only allowing what they want to allow, cutting everything (!) else from getting contact.

There are no offline capabilities curtailed - but you need to be offline to use them. Technically when connected to a VPN you are connected, even if nothing goes through to a specific service. To use the offline mode, go offline. This means either cutting the VPN, or using another software to control that EN is kept offline even when the VPN connection is running.

I am using such a software on my Mac (called TripMode) to selectively decide which app can use the internet connection. I can decide to take EN offline, even when using the browser and email. This comes handy when on a shaky internet connection, for example on a train. EN sync doesn't like being cut off by the net while syncing - so I take it offline to avoid syncing conflicts. This is an advanced solution - else go offline to enable offline mode.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, diegartenfrau said:
Not working for me anymore since updated to the 7.30 version, I am  using a chrome based browser. 
Sometimes it clips but many times it doesn't, even after reloading the page several times. the simple page clips, many times doesn't give me a satisfactory layout in the clip anymore. Used to be better. PDF hasn't worked for a while, in fact today I noticed the pdf option is missing now.
I have two Evernote accounts, one I use predominantly for recipes, so I like to log out and log in to my other account to clip to the proper account, used to work flawlessly even tough I wished they could let us switch the accounts just like we can do on the app, since the update it won't let me log out. The log out button doesn't work at all. I have to de-install the extension, install it again to log into my other account. I tried clearing the cookies after de-install and it did not change the problems. I need the clipper to work, it's the main point of having the note app. Please fix it, I am a paying, heavy, long-term user. 

On 2/8/2023 at 3:26 PM, DreamWeaver2500 said:

Same issue here ... on a Chromebook, had not used Web Clipper in a few weeks, now on any website, and after all the usual gyrations such as uninstall and reinstall, reboot, etc., click the Elephant and nothing happens at all. I have noted this on the Chrome Webstore support page for Evernote Web Clipper. I had noted in a couple past years similar issues apparently after Web Clipper was updated and those obviously eventually worked themselves out so hopefully this can be fixed also. Thank you.

on a chromebook.  latest chrome version 

the new EN WEb clipper not working at all.   nothing happens 

have uninstalled reinstalled cleared cookies yadayada  

i am a member since early 2000s  ... everytime they upgrade the clipper there are problems. 

please sort this out. 

• Like 1
On 2/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, KAGS said:

Interestingly, the webclipper works fine on a spare laptop I have lying around. That inspired me to keep trying to troubleshoot. Not sure exactly what did the trick, but I reinstalled the webclipper extension (yet again), cleared cookies, closed out of Chrome, and restarted my computer for good measure, and the clipper appears to be working on my main computer again. So hopefully that sequence of actions can help others out.

THIS SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME, TOO! I was just about to quit Evernote because most of what I use it for is clipping. 

I continue to try uninstalling, reinstalling, removing cookies, etc. and nothing. However, on the Chrome Web Store, Evernote Web Clipper, if you click Support, the developer is responding:

"We are actively working on several fixes."

If you post there, please include details, particularly they want to know:

• In your case, is it broken for every page? Or just specific sites?
  • Have you tried reinstalling the clipper?

On 2/3/2023 at 3:40 PM, diegartenfrau said:

Paper and pencil with a file cabinet plus green DOS on a black screen. 

• 3 months later...

this worked for me in Google Chrome (Version 114.0.5735.106 (Official Build) (x86_64)) and WebClipper 7.30: 

Click in top menu in Chrome: Windows > Extensions

Click in Hamburger menu, then click on Keyboard Shortcuts

Click on Evernote Web Clipper, then click over the pencil, automatically choose your keyboard shortcut preferred and click outside of this option. Then close this page.

Presto!!

• 1 month later...