Missing Saved Search

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

When I try to save a search (in a particular notebook plus 1 tag) I get a message that it already exists.  I believe I used to have a saved search for that, but it no longer appears in the app (Windows 10.52.8), the Legacy Version (Windows 6.25.2.9198), Android phone, or the online version. I do seem to be able to add new shortcuts.  I can save it with a different name.

I share my notebooks and I frequently help people learn how to use Evernote, sharing my screen on Zoom. It often helps to recreate the steps. Having a saved search exist without being able to use it makes this difficult. I now know that I should do this with a search I don't really want in the future. But is there a way to bring back those missing saved searches?

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I don't use saved searches. If they sync between devices then I think you'll need to open a support ticket.

You could try rebuilding your local data but I'm not sure it will help in this case (File, Sign out, Remove my data)

I also miss the possibility to see and modify saved searches as it was possible in Legacy version(s).

• EN10 only allows to save a search and add this to Favourites.
  • But it is not possible to
    • change search phrases
    • rename searches
    • save result list format 
    • delete searches

@EN-reps: Why? Will this functionality be re-enabled in upcoming versions?

1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

But it is not possible to

• change search phrases
  • rename searches
  • save result list format 
  • delete searches

You can delete a saved search but you have to run it first, and then use the three dots menu. I don't think it is terribly logical but you can do it.

image.png.6ca8df5f9faa44f1cd51613a9b44ce6c.png

You can also rename it using the inappropriately names "Edit saved search"

I also seem to be able to change search phrases and then save as a new search. Obviously search phrases that have been converted to blue lozenges can't be edited directly but they can just be removed in the normal way.

So I converted this:

image.png.05198b6e61a3d70a072d8cd7dc816667.png

to

image.png.19c6a9ef47763d90bfc4f3886f8e2eee.png

And I now have the option to save the search

2 hours ago, Bev Adams said:

But what if your saved search is no longer able to be viewed? I've saved a search and then deleted it. Now I can't save it with the same name. When I try, I get a message that it already exists. Where?

Did you try @agsteele's suggestion?

THX @Mike P - but is it really our (user's) task to figure out such tricky ways to do what formerly has been on hand within a folder "Saved Searches" ("Gespeicherte Suchanfragen") by Right-Clicking on a search?

@EN-reps: Why is it such complicated? Will the old folder and RClick-functionality be re-enabled in upcoming versions?

Just now, AlbertR said:

THX @Mike P - but is it really our (user's) task to figure out such tricky ways to do what formerly has been on hand within a folder "Saved Searches" ("Gespeicherte Suchanfragen") by Right-Clicking on a search?

@EN-reps: Why is it such complicated? Will the old folder and RClick-functionality be re-enabled in upcoming versions?

I completely agree. I would expect to be able to delete or rename a search by right clicking it, not having to run it first. I think the status of saved searches is really weird. They seem to have no more importance than the random suggestions that come up when you add text to the search box. They are pretty well hidden, especially for new users. Personally I would expect a "section" of the sidebar (like notebooks, tags etc) to be devoted to saved searches.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

However, the OP's question was about not being able to save a search because the name was supposedly already in use by a saved search.

I think that the answer to this is either via a database rebuild or with the help of Evernote support.

On this occasion, the wider discussion of the the failings in saved searches is probably not going to offer a solution 😉

• Like 1
  • Solution

Another thing occured to me. @Bev Adams I'm sure you realise this but just in case. Deleting a saved search from shortcuts does not delete the saved search. To delete a saved search you need to run it (either from shortcuts or from the saved search drop down within search) and then delete it from the three dots menu (see my screenshot above) 

• Like 1

I rarely search "everywhere" so I never noticed that drop down menu. This is the first time I even knew there was a Saved Search drop-down menu and My stamps was there. I learned something new! Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1