Lost notes after syncing issues

Hello,

I lost a few of my Evernote notes after updating the app. Before updating, there had been a grey banner at the top that said it was in the process of syncing, but it never completed. Now whenever I quit the app I lose any new notes I make. Is there a way I can recover the notes I lost before I updated or are they gone forever because my device wasn't synced?

• Evernote Expert

If the notes were not sync-ed with the cloud then they will be lost.  But that may not be the issue.  I'd suggest your first try would be to rebuild your local data.  File / Sign Out / Remove your Evernote data from the device.  Then log back into Evernote and the process of rebuilding your local data will begin.  After a few minutes you can check to see if the note has been located.  It may take some minutes or even hours for all local data to be recovered.

I signed out of Evernote, but when I try and log back in it says, "Unable to connect to Evernote. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine, so what should I do?

After using Evernote for 11 years, I accessed my notes the other day and found my account not logged in. When I tried to log in, it had me create a new account. Now none of my notes are there!  One of my notes has all my passwords!  Please help. What can I do to restore this particular note?  My life is on hold until I figure this out. :(

• Evernote Expert

Stop, take a deep breath and don't panic.

Your data is not lost.

A couple of questions... What type of account do you have? Is it a Free account or one of the paid versions?

Which application do you use? Web, Windows/Mac, downloaded direct from Evernote or via one of the app stores. So you also use one of the mobile apps Android/iOS

There are suggestions depending upon your answers.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Stop, take a deep breath and don't panic.

Your data is not lost.

A couple of questions... What type of account do you have? Is it a Free account or one of the paid versions?

Which application do you use? Web, Windows/Mac, downloaded direct from Evernote or via one of the app stores. So you also use one of the mobile apps Android/iOS

There are suggestions depending upon your answers.

Free account

Windows syncing with iPhone

• Level 5

Hmmmm - either you changed your forum account, or you are just hijacking a thread belonging to somebody else.

If you are new to this thread, don‘t assume that you have „the same problem“. Get out of this one, open a new one, describing YOUR problem.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem. I have used Evernote for years (on single device, Windows), today while I was using it, it forced an update and when it restarted it made me choose a new password ("old one blocked for security reasons") and when I got in, the most recent note was from 2018! Basically all notes of the last five years have disappeared!! Help!

I've lost 99% of my most important note after a sync issue. Thank you Evernote. I was using this software for years but now I am moving forward to something else.

Evernote became a piece of *****.

2 hours ago, Mitze said:

I've lost 99% of my most important note after a sync issue. Thank you Evernote. I was using this software for years but now I am moving forward to something else.

Can you recover content using the Version History?

15 hours ago, Annie Sil said:

I have the same problem. I have used Evernote for years (on single device, Windows), today while I was using it, it forced an update and when it restarted it made me choose a new password ("old one blocked for security reasons") and when I got in, the most recent note was from 2018! Basically all notes of the last five years have disappeared!! Help!

Sounds like maybe you reconnected with an old account? Did you start using a new email for Evernote around 2018?

The account as far as I know was only one (and it let me in by changing the password through the security check via email). But even WORSE now today, both the app on the computer AND the Evernote web let me log in, but now hide the home page behind a popup that offers subscription or free trial but actually leaves you no option but to enter your credit card data (and you get free trial but then it's automatic subscription unless you remember to cancel)  If you do not input your credit card data, it will not even show the page, so actually now I do not even know what is there in my account anymore because I cannot look! I will NOT give my credit card data. I would have liked a warning (as in "we are changing our policy/app from this update, if you do not like it take your data and goodbye") before the update so to save all my info somehow, now I lost hundreds and hundreds of notes I cannot recover. I am fuming. Awful commercial practice and lack of professionality and customer service.

1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

Sounds like maybe you reconnected with an old account? Did you start using a new email for Evernote around 2018?

UPDATE: apparently it will drop the credit card thing if I leave out a device to sync. Now I was able to access the account again and look but I am back to square one, still just the same old files from five years ago. I even "saved" the local notebook (ENEX) file as instructed but no, still everything missing.

• Level 5*

Hi. @Annie Sil -- your comments have so many red flags I hardly know where to start...

1. You don't get asked for a new password on accounts that are currently in use - only on ones that have not been used for a period
  2. Updates don't force themselves on you these days.. unless you were updated from a Legacy account to v10
  3. Being offered a subscription or a free trial suggests you're just downloading another copy of the software
  4. Nothing has changed about access to notes - if you saved your notes to Evernote they're still sitting there on the server,  if only you can get access...
  5. This could be something to do with the device limit - free users are only allowed to connect 2 devices to the account.  You may have to wait out a suspension to get access to your notes,  but I suspect you'll also need to contact Support to work out how many accounts exist in your name...

Understanding the device limit

Hi Gazumped, thanks a lot for your reply, sorry for the red flags, definitely due to my unfamiliarity with right terminology, and trying to explain my problem as succintly as I could. (Not to mention the disappointment and irritation for the problem. I am just an average person that used this app to save same data I wanted to keep.)

1) It's the same thing Boot 17 said, I agree, it seems like that's what happened, but I cannot figure out how, I use Evernote on this device only, and basically until yesterday never logged out but used it very regularly.

2) "Forced" as in I was in the middle of writing a note when it popped "there is an update, install. And it was ok to me, since there had been no update prompts in a while. From legacy to 10? Maybe, I have no idea sorry.

3) Apparently it wanted me to drop a sync device (that I never used I never even remembered I had it, I even thought I had only the one - nevermind the web version) After, it dropped the credit card thing, now I see the homepage, but still stuck at five years ago.

4) Yes, that's the point, they must be out there somewhere, (I do hope!). If I could only access them.. That's all I want.

5) How long would it last, a "suspension"? I will wait a few days then and try again... Then  writing to Support...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Annie Sil said:

How long would it last, a "suspension"?

I think that's in the link I mentioned last time.  Free users get two devices (as detected by Evernote) connected to the account. It's possible to change devices twice per month,  and if you exceed that it will be a couple of weeks before you can try again.  The only sure fix is to subscribe (instant access) or to use another email address to create another account to use while the original is suspended.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 8/7/2023 at 12:35 AM, RKTMPSC said:

I have lost all my notes of last 3 years after I updated Evernote app to new version. I am a free subscriber. Please help me to restore my notes

Hi.  That's usually because you logged in again with slightly dfferent user information and inadvertently created a new account.  Try another login or use the 'forgot password' link at Evernote.com.  Beware that as a free user you are subject to the device limit which can also block access.  Understanding the device limit

Thanks for reply.

What if i upgrade to personal or professional or  team (paid subscription), would they allow me to restore lost data.

Additionally, i have file with 3.5 GB with extension .ebx. Will i be able to retrieve data fro this file.

• Evernote Expert

By far the most common issue is simply using the wrong username and password. If you get that right you will see your notes without payment. If you get it wrong even paying will not help. It will, though, give you access to technical support. The support team may be able to assist beyond general advice.

An EBX file is an electronic book so probably not what you need. https://file.org/extension/ebx

• 2 months later...

I just did the update on my PC and found out I lost all notes after Dec 31, 2020. I use the free account and keep another copy on my phone.

Here is what I found:

1. If I add a new note on PC, the ew note shows up on my phone. So the sync is still working.

2. The total notes on the PC are less than on the phone, for obvious reasons.

3. If I search the lost notes on PC, I can still see them. And when I open the search result. The lost one magically appears on PC.

So the notes are not really lost. And I am very unhappy with such practice of Evernote. I am switching to alternatives now.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Probably a corrupted local database on the PC. No, you didn't do anything wrong, this sometimes happen.

Log out of your user on the PC, quit the client. Now use Revo Uninstaller to purge the whole local installation and data. Restart the PC, install the client, open it and log in.

It will draw a copy of your data from the server now. Keep it running (in the background) until there is no more network-traffic while the client is on idle.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably a corrupted local database on the PC. No, you didn't do anything wrong, this sometimes happen.

Log out of your user on the PC, quit the client. Now use Revo Uninstaller to purge the whole local installation and data. Restart the PC, install the client, open it and log in.

It will draw a copy of your data from the server now. Keep it running (in the background) until there is no more network-traffic while the client is on idle.

I tried that, too, many times. Log out and clear local data. Then log in again—still the same result. The data was cut off on Dec 31, 2022.

Those notes are not lost. They are just hidden! If you search by title, you can find the hidden notes. If you click the search result and open the hidden note, it magically gets added back. You can even see an increase of the total number of notes.

So, the notes are synced already because I can search them. As I said, they are just hidden!

That's strange, but I have the same problem with evernote web. I have paid version. So on one of my computers I can see all notes, but when go to evernote web on another one notes are just hidden (I can search them). Tried to log out, cleared cache and so on, nothing helps. Evernote app seems to work normally.

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:26 AM, Majikhat said:

After using Evernote for 11 years, I accessed my notes the other day and found my account not logged in. When I tried to log in, it had me create a new account. Now none of my notes are there!  One of my notes has all my passwords!  Please help. What can I do to restore this particular note?  My life is on hold until I figure this out. :(

if you figure this out please let me know, the same thing happened to me and I lost 6 years of notes :(

• 4 weeks later...

Having some problems regarding Evernote, Just tried to sign into evernote on my new laptop using my account previously on my pc, logged in but now all of my notes are gone on both ends. Help much appreciated 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, JK17 said:

Having some problems regarding Evernote, Just tried to sign into evernote on my new laptop using my account previously on my pc, logged in but now all of my notes are gone on both ends. Help much appreciated 

Usually a sign that you typed a slightly incorrect user ID and accidentally created a new account.  Log out and try again?

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2024 at 5:10 AM, Allison Aldridge said:

if you figure this out please let me know, the same thing happened to me and I lost 6 years of notes :(

It happened with me too.lost all my passwords

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, amrita20 said:

It happened with me too.lost all my passwords

Usually a sign that you made a mistake logging in and accidentally created a new account.  Log out and try again?