A real Chromebook App

mcarrara

Idea

I have tried using the Android app on my Chromebook and hate it.  I continue using the web version, but its lack of shortcut keys is frustrating. As more enterprose users are moving to Chromebooks, not to mention EDU users, a Chromebook app would be appreciated.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5

ChromeOS is basically a Chrome browser running a graphical user interface. It is build to load everything from the web - that’s what makes it a cheap computer OS.

The EN web client IS the client that works without a local database, loading everything from the web.

On some Chromebooks you can install the Android client as well.

Since there is a fully featured client for web based use, I don’t expect EN to do anything about it. A Chromebook is a cheap computer with a lot of restrictions. If you want more shortcuts, get a „real“ computer and install the regular desktop client.

About missing shortcuts you can contact support. Note that in a browser environment, no website can use shortcuts that the OS already has reserved for itself.

As the OS of my Asus C433 ChromeBook was recently updated to 109, the built-in Android version was updated to 11. In the meantime, I was able to use Android Evernote in the desktop interface, which is quite convenient. Please check if the version of Android is not updated. However, it is believed that the usability of Evernote on Chromebooks will be better once Evernote for Linux is officially released. However, as written in the above article, only 'Web App', 'Android App', and 'Linux Software' can be used in ChromeOS, and there is no concept of 'Software for ChromeOS'. Moreover, Evernote's share on ChromeOS isn't high enough to create a separate ChromeOS-optimized Android or Linux-based Evernote app, so I don't think there is a 'true Evernote app for ChromeOS'.

• Like 1

As @wonmisays Linux is definitely the way to go. Hopefully the official Linux version will be launched soon. The preview version works really well on Linux but I've no idea how well Linux software runs on Chromebooks. You could I suppose request access to the preview program - perhaps the developers would welcome feedback from people using it on Chromebook. 

https://evernote.com/earlyaccess

• Like 1
On 1/28/2023 at 11:45 AM, Mike P said:

As @wonmisays Linux is definitely the way to go. Hopefully the official Linux version will be launched soon. The preview version works really well on Linux but I've no idea how well Linux software runs on Chromebooks. You could I suppose request access to the preview program - perhaps the developers would welcome feedback from people using it on Chromebook. 

https://evernote.com/earlyaccess

There are at least a couple of us in the preview group using the Linux client with Chromebooks. They ask us to restrict discussion of the Beta to just within  the dedicated forum, but I don't think it's a problem to share that it's working very well. When the Linux client comes out of beta it should be an excellent solution for modern chromebooks.

By the way, the idea, @PinkElephant,  that a Chromebook is necessarily "a cheap computer with a lot of restrictions" is rather out of date. Without knowing which Chromebook the OP is using, I wouldn't make that assumption.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just checked prices, they are ranging from 89€ (half the price of a Raspberry Pi 4 at the moment, and this comes without keyboard and screen) to 999€. The majority is between 170€ and maybe 300€.

This is what as a price level I call cheap. You hardly get a somehow functional windows laptop below 500€, and a MacBook Air starts higher even with an educational rebate. What I call a lot of restrictions is a general stripped down set of local resources, due to the online mode ChromeOS is based on. I doubt there will be an installed client for this sort of setup. Who chooses ChromeOS decides to work from the internet - which makes the web client the client of choice.

I don’t say it good or bad - it depends on the use cases to be supported.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just checked prices, they are ranging from 89€ (half the price of a Raspberry Pi 4 at the moment, and this comes without keyboard and screen) to 999€. The majority is between 170€ and maybe 300€.

This is what as a price level I call cheap. You hardly get a somehow functional windows laptop below 500€, and a MacBook Air starts higher even with an educational rebate. What I call a lot of restrictions is a general stripped down set of local resources, due to the online mode ChromeOS is based on. I doubt there will be an installed client for this sort of setup. Who chooses ChromeOS decides to work from the internet - which makes the web client the client of choice.

I don’t say it good or bad - it depends on the use cases to be supported.

The low spec Chromebooks are cheap, certainly, but a fair number of higher spec models fetch north of €1000, and some even go up to twice that. I'm using one with an i7 processor, 16Gb of ram and a 512Gb SSD. But even on an older, low spec chromebook I have with a Celeron processor, the Linux Beta desktop client works fine.

I don't particularly want to evangelise for Chromebooks, they just happen to fit in with my needs for personal use. For professional use I have a full Linux install. But still seeing them dismissed by those who don't use them as not "real" computers is kind of frustrating.

Incidentally, as a long term Evernote and Linux user, I remember all the threads in these forums requesting a Linux client, and how they would fill up with non-Linux users confidently assuring everyone that there was no market for it and no point to the idea and that we should make do with the webclient or give up on Evernote. And yet, some years later, here we are waiting for an excellent Linux desktop client to be brought out of Beta.

So if Chromebook users want to raise their hands in the direction of Evernote management and say "what about us then", why not?

• Level 5

There may be exceptions in the Chromebook market, but most (probably around 80% or more) will be in the 200-300€ tier, purchased by educational institutions or their students.

Given the fixation of most enterprises on getting their 🤪🤯😳😱🤥 Excel sheets and 🙊🙉🙈 PowerPoint slides, they probably still prefer Windows machines.

The question is not if there are a few Chromebook users around with a little more horsepower. The question rather is whether the „typical“ Chromebook user is a target group willing and able to use and pay (!) for a dedicated client. I sincerely doubt it.

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The question is not if there are a few Chromebook users around with a little more horsepower. The question rather is whether the „typical“ Chromebook user is a target group willing and able to use and pay (!) for a dedicated client. I sincerely doubt it.

And in that comment I hear the echo of those who turned up on the Linux client request threads to insist that Linux desktop market was too tiny to possibly be of any interest, and that in any event "everyone knew" that Linux users would never pay for software or services.

You doubt if there would be enough potential Chromebook users to make it viable? Fair enough,  and maybe not. Not much of a reason for those with an interest in it not to make their interest known, though.

• Level 5

My doubt is given the main target group being in the educational sector (meaning students who receive equipment purchased by their schools, under management of the schools IT section) that the probable users will be willing to pay for a subscription. Plus they will rotate into that group when they hit the adequate age, but they will as well rotate out of it a short time later, maybe 2 or 3 years.

Nonpaying users are probably not what EN needs to acquire by adding yet another client. Since there is an alternative by the web client, there really is no need to offer 2 clients to a small, economically depressed and very fluent target group. At least this is my outside view to the situation, no inside knowledge involved.

@PinkElephantmaybe where you are located Chromebooks are limited to cheap educational models. However in the US enterprise Chromebooks are becoming more prevalent. My HP Dragonfly Elite has a core i7, 16GB RAM and runs Parallels for Windows apps.

In the end everyone is better with competition and Chromebooks provide competition

• Like 1