Simple question: widgets working?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

• Level 5

I have had to do an emergency phone upgrade (I literally bricked my old Android 9 phone -- dropped it on a brick porch and cracked the screen so the display is practically invisible). So I've got a new Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. All my apps transferred from the old phone, including Evernote v. 8. I can upgrade to v. 10 on the new phone, but am hesitant, knowing that many report sync and duplicate issues.

But my real question, also causing hesitation: early on, Evernote for Android v. 10 no longer had widgets for the Android home screens. Have they been restored by now?

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

There are a number of home screen widgets for Android 10. Not entirely the same as V8 so it will depend what you need as to whether you'll be satisfied.

You get

• Task list
  • Note list
  • Shortcuts list
  • Action bar

You can also save a shortcut to individual notes on the 'desktop' direct from the note editing menus.

The bonus of v10 on Android is that you can use any/all the features and functions across devices.

The issues I see reported with v10 on Android often seem to be with Samsung devices. But that may just be because it is the dominant Android device maker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But my real question, also causing hesitation: early on, Evernote for Android v. 10 no longer had widgets for the Android home screens. Have they been restored by now?

Lots of different widgets are available. The main one allows you to have buttons for opening EN, making a quick note, adding a pgoto to EN etc. There are also widgets for notes, shortcuts, tasks, and EN actions (not sure what that is. 

I've only just moved to the V10 Android version and so far so good although I tend to consume rather than create on my phone.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I had an issue with my new Samsung Tab 7 tablet where I was unable to clip or create new notes.  Support helped me fix that by (weirdly) setting up a new default notebook and then switching back to the original.  Everything - including widgets - is now available.

• Thanks 1

There are five android widgets - but unfortunately they don't function so well (in my opinion anyway). Eg you have to open the EN app to get task-widget and list-widget to update. Also ability to adding tasks via widget is very limited, and the sorting is somewhat random 😢

en-widgets.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Many thanks, everyone. I do like to have shortcuts to a few individual notes on the Android home screens, and I make occasional use of other widgets. I don't use tasks much yet, so issues with that widget wouldn't be much of a problem (yet). From what I've seen of reports of sync and duplication issues, it seems to be quite hit or miss as to who gets them, but they do seem to show up heavily on Samsung phones, though as @agsteele says that may just be because of Samsung's prevailing dominance. I've got a strong WiFi connection at home, so I'm going to go ahead and try v. 10, because I do esp. want its formatting features and other functions. I'll report back if I run into problems.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I do like to have shortcuts to a few individual notes on the Android home screens

I can confirm that you can still do that.

For the record, I have a Samsung phone, but I would count myself as a fairly light/undemanding user on my phone as I do 99% of note creation, complex searches etc on my desktop version.

As I mentioned in another thread, related to the widget functionality but not exactly the same, the ability to create new notes and other quick items by long pressing on the app icon still hasn't been reimplemented.

Shame, because it's one of my favorite mobile features.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...