Add a convenience feature to export all Notebooks

flywheelms

Idea

It would be great if you could prioritize adding a feature to export all Notebooks.  This would be extremely useful and convenient for many loyal Evernote users.

User Experience:

1. right click on the top level "Notebooks"
  2. select "Export All"
  3. see a dialog that prompts for the top-level destination directory
  4. click the "GO" CTA (call to action)

Moderate Engineering Effort:

• add the "Export All" option to "Notebooks"
  • create the "Export All" (simple) dialog to prompt for the top-level destination directory
  • re-use the existing export code as you iterate through the list of Notebooks
  • Like 3

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, flywheelms said:

This would be extremely useful and convenient for many loyal Evernote users.

Hi.  It will be interesting to see how much support this request receives - many users (I would have thought) are trying to avoid paper,  not annihilate several trees with a copy of what's safely online.   I've spent several years converting a lot of paper onto a couple of hard drives to make it easier to manage.  I'd hate to see my 60,000 (or so) notes back in the real world - a lot of them contain multi-page books!

Can you elaborate why this is an issue?  Are you looking to share information / back up your data or write a book?

• Level 5

I don’t understand this „give us an 1-click export, we need an 1-click-export“ frenzy.

For a good backup, it lacks many things, like being incremental (after an initial backup only saving changes) and having versions. On the other hand to only get some data out, it is overkill.

I haven’t found a real use case yet, except to move to another app. But this is a one time action, that hardly requires any coding.

If I would ask for a backup, it would be a real backup (see above). Fortunately there already IS such a backup: TimeMachine on my Macs routinely save the local EN database, incrementally and with versions. On Windows something similar can be done, using backup software.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  It will be interesting to see how much support this request receives - many users (I would have thought) are trying to avoid paper,  not annihilate several trees with a copy of what's safely online.   I've spent several years converting a lot of paper onto a couple of hard drives to make it easier to manage.  I'd hate to see my 60,000 (or so) notes back in the real world - a lot of them contain multi-page books!

Can you elaborate why this is an issue?  Are you looking to share information / back up your data or write a book?

1. I made no mention of paper and do not understand the relevance of the comment
  2. there is no such thing as "safely online" over the next 30 years
  3. I want a re-usable version of MY DATA that can be easily imported to other tools or programs I write
  4. I do not want MY DATA to be a captive of EverNotes, as no one can predict a company's future
  5. over the past 2 years there have been many times periods when the app became unstable.  I need protection if Evernote loses its focus or engineering quality
  6. it is MY DATA
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I don’t understand this „give us an 1-click export, we need an 1-click-export“ frenzy.

For a good backup, it lacks many things, like being incremental (after an initial backup only saving changes) and having versions. On the other hand to only get some data out, it is overkill.

I haven’t found a real use case yet, except to move to another app. But this is a one time action, that hardly requires any coding.

If I would ask for a backup, it would be a real backup (see above). Fortunately there already IS such a backup: TimeMachine on my Macs routinely save the local EN database, incrementally and with versions. On Windows something similar can be done, using backup software.

1. I did not ask for a backup
  2. I asked to export my data in a more easily reusable format that I can repurpose or anaylze any way I choose
  3. It seems predatory to purposely make it extremely difficult for a long-time user to move to another app
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, flywheelms said:

it is MY DATA

No-one is questioning your ownership,  and I'm sorry if I jumped to the conclusion that an "export all notebooks" feature was to print,  but there is already an export to file option - both enex and HTML,  and if it comes to that a 'print' option - to PDF;  and various other note-taking software will already import directly from Evernote.  Analysis is possible through third-party apps like Infranodus.  We're not denying you access to this feature,  but it will help Evernote decide whether or not it is in their interests to provide such access if they have a compelling reason for changing the existing structure of their database.

https://infranodus.com/

• Level 5

We don’t know whether they block such a feature. Not implementing does not necessarily mean blocking - it can mean as well it is not regarded as a relevant feature in itself.

To communicate your wish of getting a full export with EN staff, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.