Is there a way to select the Audio Note input device?

Go to solution Solved by orlando74,

I'd like to create an audio note of a musical idea I am playing in my digital music workstation (which I hear thru my headphones along with the rest of my computer audio). THAT's what I would like to route to Evernote when it records audio - whatever is playing on my computer.

But clicking Insert Audio Recording seems to capture the ambience in my room instead... I'm guessing maybe thru my webcam mic which is the default audio input setting on Windows?  Is there a Settings somewhere in Evernote that would allow me to select which of my audio inputs is used to capture the audio note? For example, I also have a pro studio mic, and maybe I would like THAT to be used instead of the cheap webcam source.

Any way to select the source?

• Level 5

Interesting question. Audio recording is a kind of generic way of entering info into Evernote, I think, meaning it does not have "professional" setting options. Likely the only way to specify a particular input device would be to select it as your default Windows audio input temporarily.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, orlando74 said:

Any way to select the source?

Check in your version of Windows.  "Audio" does mean 'sound' - so yeah,  Evernote is going to record whatever your system can 'hear' by way of the default sound input device.  If you want to attach an electronic file to Evernote,  you'd have to download the MP3 (or whatever) file that is the source,  and then attach it to your note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Due to the risk of data loss (permanent on mobile, hopefully with a saving notice on desktop) I don't use the direct recording.

I always use a third party app (in my case JustPressRecord on all of my Apple devices) to record, and transfer the files to EN later. A bonus is that JPR has the ability to make a transcription to text after the recording.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.

OK, so one way to do it is to temporarily switch the audio input in Windows sounds settings to the Focusrite Loopback feature that comes with my audio interface.  This allows EN to capture my playing directly as a note.  However, it also occurred to me that I could also leave the Windows sounds settings alone and just turn on my speakers and let the webcam mic capture that, since audio quality doesn't matter for a rough idea.

NEW QUESTION:  Is there any way to capture audio using the web version of EN??? I'd prefer to use the web version than the desktop version.

• Solution

OK, I can use the updated Windows 11 Sound Recorder, which allows me to do a quick capture of my musical idea coming straight out of my VST instrument and I can quickly select the captured sound source without messing with the Windows sound settings.  So this for now would be my PC-only solution, and I would then drop the file inside Evernote desktop or web.

But another A-HA moment, if I want to use the built-in audio note recording feature and don't care about audio quality too much, I can use my phone (or desktop) to do it and put it right next to my speakers.  My original query is at this point I guess a feature request so that on Evernote Desktop one can select the incoming sound source, just like the Windows sound recorder allows. This would allow a direct connection and cleanest audio.

I guess I'll close this thread. Thanks everyone.

• Like 3